British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/urgent-medical-care-saudi-pregnant-789044/)

2BritsInSaudi Feb 28th 2013 11:25 pm

Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

Hi everyone. Just moved from the UK to Saudi 3 days ago with my wife and discovered yesterday that she's pregnant. Would be overjoyed if I knew that this was the best thing for us and for my wife especially, but for several reasons it isnt.
Wanted to know if anyone here has ANY information on obtaining a medical abortion here in Saudi - as she must be within 5 weeks of pregnancy. We're in Riyadh but willing to go wherever we have to. Would have considered flying straight back to the UK or Turkey where the process is as easy as taking 2 tablets at home, but only have single entry Visa.
Please get back to us if you have any advice or leads.
Thanks

2BritsInSaudi Feb 28th 2013 11:28 pm

Need Abortion in Saudi! Any help???

Hi we urgently need any advice or leads on having a medical abortion in Riyadh - or any part of Saudi. Its extremely urgent.
Please reply with anything that might help point us in the right direction.
Is it offered under any insurance for expats?

DesertOcean Mar 1st 2013 12:56 am

Re: Need Abortion in Saudi! Any help???

Why don't you urgently hop on a plane back to the UK or the US, that's where all the Saudies go for their abortions at least the richer ones. The rest, well, I believe they go to India. Seems to be big business that, medical tourism;)

Victor Meldrew Mar 1st 2013 1:11 am

Originally Posted by DesertOcean (Post 10576441)
Why don't you urgently hop on a plane back to the UK or the US, that's where all the Saudies go for their abortions at least the richer ones. The rest, well, I believe they go to India. Seems to be big business that, medical tourism;)

I wouldn't go to India for any medical treatment, no matter how cheap it was.

shiva Mar 1st 2013 2:54 am

As far as I know abortion is illegal in Saudi. Only option is a trip outside the country.

Boomhauer Mar 1st 2013 3:06 am

Originally Posted by Victor Meldrew (Post 10576470)
I wouldn't go to India for any medical treatment, no matter how cheap it was.

:thumbup:
Baffles me that there are people who do.

mentalist Mar 1st 2013 3:23 am

Re: Urgent! Medical Care in Saudi? Pregnant!

If you weren't bothered taking the necessary precautions and definitely cannot leave Saudi then I strongly suggest you consider having the baby. After all, Saudi is a relatively baby friendly place.:)

mathematist Mar 1st 2013 4:12 am

And if it isn't covered under insurance, do you keep the baby?

OriginalSunshine Mar 1st 2013 4:28 am

oh hang on - that's different to your other thread.

al dente Mar 1st 2013 6:31 am

Are you married? If not, get on a plane immediately and go to the UK (Marie Stopes clinic). If you are, get on a plane and go the UK.

You will not get this on insurance.

ps Medical Abortion (pill) is before 9 weeks, surgical is after.

Blue Cat Mar 1st 2013 7:17 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 10576737)
Are you married? If not, get on a plane immediately and go to the UK (Marie Stopes clinic). If you are, get on a plane and go the UK.

You will not get this on insurance.

ps Medical Abortion (pill) is before 9 weeks, surgical is after.

they can't get out they only have single entry visa

scot47 Mar 1st 2013 7:28 am

Criminal offence in KSA. Leave and have it done in Europe.

kittycat1 Mar 1st 2013 7:38 am

just wondering if it would be possible to get the pills sent over from the UK if you can't leave the country or if anyone could bring them in for you?

Or could you request emergency leave for personal issues at least for your wife even if you need to stay there. Surely they have compasionate leave or an equivalent? If they refuse could you speak to your PRO and tell them your wife needs some urgent medical treatment and she is more comfortable going to her regular gynaecologist back in the Uk?

al dente Mar 1st 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10576765)

What happens if there is an emergency back home, can one leave on compassionate grounds?

OriginalSunshine Mar 1st 2013 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10576765)

of course they can, they have just chosen not to.

OP - you are going to have to make a decision that only you & your wife can make - leave or stay.

Alternatively, your wife leaves without you, gets the procedure done, and then waits for you to try and sort out a return visa for her - claim that she has to rush home for family emergency or something, but do NOT tell anyone why she is going home.

I have sympathy that you are in this mess, but if pregnancy really was such a nightmare for you guys you needed to have ensured it didn't happen. I know you know that now, but the magic kingdom is such a weird place that when things go wrong they go wrong quite quickly.