British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Uptown Mirdif (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uptown-mirdif-669376/)

lionheart May 23rd 2010 8:40 am

Uptown Mirdif

We went there for the very first time over the weekend to buy some books at the Feline Friends book sale. What a major disappointment, the shopping centre not the book sale. It's like something out of the 70's and as dead as the proverbial dodo. Very few shops were even bothering to open, our visit being between 12-2pm Saturday. The basement parking is like the black hole of Calcutta, poorly illuminated to say the least. At the check-outs at Spinneys, there was never more than two customers at each counter. Am guessing that it has gone seriously downhill since the opening of Mirdif City Centre or is it always like that? It reminded me of Downtown Corby...after the closure of the steelworks.

Jim Smith May 23rd 2010 9:42 am

Re: Uptown Mirdif

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8583866)
We went there for the very first time over the weekend to buy some books at the Feline Friends book sale. What a major disappointment, the shopping centre not the book sale. It's like something out of the 70's and as dead as the proverbial dodo. Very few shops were even bothering to open, our visit being between 12-2pm Saturday. The basement parking is like the black hole of Calcutta, poorly illuminated to say the least. At the check-outs at Spinneys, there was never more than two customers at each counter. Am guessing that it has gone seriously downhill since the opening of Mirdif City Centre or is it always like that? It reminded me of Downtown Corby...after the closure of the steelworks.

It's doomed I tell ya!!! Quite a lot of competition has sprung up locally it seems, Mirdiff City Centre being the latest , tho' I havent been there or the other new place on the main drag.

A friend of ours managed to close her shop and get out as it wasn't making a dhm!

The uncovered layout is a bit odd especially this time of the year?

MataHari May 23rd 2010 10:06 am

During the summer months it's really quiet during the day, although Spinneys normally is busy. At night it's usually more lively as people will have coffee or dinner outside and then the place has a really nice feel to it. A few times a year there's a fair on the main square.
A lot of shops have closed recently, some of them have moved to MCC but I have no idea how they are going to be able to rent the units out, most are replaced by boring stuff like nail studios or travel agents etc, which is a pity cause that won't do much for bringing in the crowds.
MCC is very quiet as well by the way, after the first few weeks when it was ok, it's now gone downhill even during the weekend. I was in Arabian Centre a few weeks ago and the people there were complaining that days would go by without a single paying customer...

Roadking May 23rd 2010 10:18 am

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8583976)
During the summer months it's really quiet during the day, although Spinneys normally is busy. At night it's usually more lively as people will have coffee or dinner outside and then the place has a really nice feel to it. A few times a year there's a fair on the main square.
A lot of shops have closed recently, some of them have moved to MCC but I have no idea how they are going to be able to rent the units out, most are replaced by boring stuff like nail studios or travel agents etc, which is a pity cause that won't do much for bringing in the crowds.
MCC is very quiet as well by the way, after the first few weeks when it was ok, it's now gone downhill even during the weekend. I was in Arabian Centre a few weeks ago and the people there were complaining that days would go by without a single paying customer...

yeah, I got the same feedback at Rattlesnake...

Meow May 23rd 2010 10:22 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8583866)

If you are after paperbacks, I am storing hundreds on behalf of HH and keen to sell some...

-

lionheart May 23rd 2010 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 8584001)
If you are after paperbacks, I am storing hundreds on behalf of HH and keen to sell some...
-

Shadya and I spent over Dhs200 on around 40 books so that should keep us going for a while. We also picked up The L-Word series on DVD for Dhs15...something to do with Lesbians n'est-ce pas?

Spugsy May 23rd 2010 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by MataHari (Post 8583976)

Agreed, I used to be up there a lot, it's got a nice little community feel to it. And lots of little handy shops as well as a good sized spinneys.

rmcboyle May 23rd 2010 7:14 pm

[QUOTEAt the check-outs at Spinneys, there was never more than two customers at each counter. Am guessing that it has gone seriously downhill since the opening of Mirdif City Centre or is it always like that][/QUOTE]

That's a good thing isn't it? No waiting. A Spinneys bacon dash is the only real reason I go to Uptown these days. Pretty much everything else grocery-wise can be found in Carrefour at MCC and much less expensive.

Mirdif is now seriously oversupplied with retail outlets. The Arabian centre is a 'ghost-mall' right now and probably the place to go for cut price offers since the opening of MCC.