Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Upgrading Internet Speed

Upgrading Internet Speed

Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:01 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute
Default Upgrading Internet Speed

Does anyone know if we upgrade internet from 1mb to 8mb will this also upgrade the speed on my laptop. Currently wireless with linksys 200g. If not is it possible to hardwire it?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:33 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Upgrading Internet Speed

dont take this the wrong way but by asking this qu you should probably stay away from the internets...its too dangerous for you.

oh and yes it will speed up your internet by a tiny amount and probably be worth about 5% of the extra gazillion aed you'll be charged
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:43 pm
Its all good

Fairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond reputeFairydust has a reputation beyond repute

The reason I ask is that now we have 1mb and my laptop only shows about 500 so wondered what effect upgrading would have. I'm trying to sort out live streaming but with this speed keeps buffering every so often
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:48 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fairydust
The reason I ask is that now we have 1mb and my laptop only shows about 500 so wondered what effect upgrading would have. I'm trying to sort out live streaming but with this speed keeps buffering every so often
for watching the telly?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:50 pm
Its all good

Yes everything is set up but keeps buffering due to speed but need to know is it worth upgrading
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:52 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes everything is set up but keeps buffering due to speed but need to know is it worth upgrading
we upgraded to the 2GB package and it has made a difference to how fast I can open things etc. We download all our telly from a u torrent site so I can't comment on the buffering issue. Most people say the 8GB isn't worth it.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 2:56 pm
Its all good

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
we upgraded to the 2GB package and it has made a difference to how fast I can open things etc. We download all our telly from a u torrent site so I can't comment on the buffering issue. Most people say the 8GB isn't worth it.
Yes I download too but would rather watch live if it can be done successfully. From the Etisalat website they seem to be still offering the free 2 month trial to upgrade so may as well just try it and see I suppose. So do you actually get the speed you pay for on your laptop?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

Because you don't actually get the 8mb anyway
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Yes I download too but would rather watch live if it can be done successfully. From the Etisalat website they seem to be still offering the free 2 month trial to upgrade so may as well just try it and see I suppose. So do you actually get the speed you pay for on your laptop?
not sure I haven't checked in a while but probably not, I am not interested in the live streaming because of the time difference, would rather just down load and watch when I want to
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:07 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Euc-
Because you don't actually get the 8mb anyway
no we get the 2 mb or whatever it is
Old Oct 25th 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Euc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond reputeEuc- has a reputation beyond repute

no we get the 2 mb or whatever it is
No, what I mean is that you don't actually get the speed you pay for. Even with the 2mb connection, I highly doubt you have ever had over 1mb/s download speed.

Back home my dad has fiper power internet, 25 mb/s, but when downloading he rarely exceeds 12mb/s.

http://www.speedtest.net/ is a good indicator to check your connection speed.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 4:03 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Euc-
No, what I mean is that you don't actually get the speed you pay for. Even with the 2mb connection, I highly doubt you have ever had over 1mb/s download speed.

Back home my dad has fiper power internet, 25 mb/s, but when downloading he rarely exceeds 12mb/s.

http://www.speedtest.net/ is a good indicator to check your connection speed.
did test, apparently I am in Qatar and it is was a 2mb connection!
Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:49 pm
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

of more use is the ping test on the same page and select a uk based location to test. that will give you a more realistic result, ie if based in the uk your ping to say the iplayer service will be about 20-50 ms here however its nearer to 150-300 ms depending on etisalat and usually has significant packet loss. its these that cause the constant buffering and generally shocking third world connections we pay some of teh highest rates in the world for

i just tested mine and got a whopping F the lowest score possible with an awesome ping of 770ms to the uk

http://www.pingtest.net/learn.php

oh and i supposedly have a 4mb connection

Last edited by shiva; Oct 25th 2009 at 5:55 pm.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:15 pm
Its all good

All great info but what i need to know is if the speed is different between the PC that is cable linked and the laptop that is wireless linked
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:28 pm
**** it we'll do it live

cable linked is almost always faster but if your router and laptop are set up correctly you shouldnt see a big difference between the two. However unless your pings etc are better than most nothing you do will stop the constant buffering with live tv based in the uk

and yes 8mb will be faster on both hard wired and wireless for loading web pages and downloads but it wont be 8mb and it wont help streaming media much

Last edited by shiva; Oct 25th 2009 at 6:30 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.