Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

Bit sinister this mind:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...girl-blasphemy
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

When this story broke, I immediately suspected that this was a case of ethnic cleansing by the area Muslims. Frame the Christian girl, leading to a volatile atmosphere and voila the Christians are terrorised out of the neighbourhood.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that this local Iman framed the girl. Blasphemy laws are ethnic/racial chauvinist laws designed to terrorise and intimidate minorities.

----

US gives Pakistan billions in aid, they have the ability to make Pakistan behave a bit less barbaric. US aid and threats of military/diplomatic action should be used to make Pakistan do away with blashphemy laws.

Not a good solution but under the circumstances I wonder if it is right for non Muslim nations to enact tit-for-tat blasphemy laws, laws that Muslim nations will immidiately perceive as making life uncertain for their fellow Muslims and or ethnic kin resident in non Muslim nations. This could be followed with severe restrictions on visas for well to do Muslims from these Muslim nations.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
Not a good solution but under the circumstances I wonder if it is right for non Muslim nations to enact tit-for-tat blasphemy laws...
Or any national of a muslim-only state carrying any item with the design below has the item confiscated at customs when arriving in Europe or the US on the grounds that it includes a crucifix and a muslim displaying a crucifix is clearly doing something wrong.

Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case-lv.jpg
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 7:02 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's ****ing disgusting.

Take it at face value (assuming she did burn the pages):

Girl burns a bit of a book.

Potential death penalty because she set fire to some paper.

Depressing to think the world can still be so....I don't know....barbaric? pathetic? insecure? stupid?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 9:52 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

There have been multiple accusations from Christians in Pakistan than Muslims are using the blasphemy laws to put pressure on them, resolve personal vendettas etc...that seems to be working.

Pakistan is a frightening country - and likely has more extremists per capita than anywhere else. I would have to be a reformist/atheist/christian in a place like that.

N.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 10:57 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk

Pakistan is a frightening country

N.
They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli.

And they make me a little scared.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mentalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond reputementalist has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli. And they make me a little scared.
Anybody that cheats at cricket cannot be trusted.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:22 am
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mentalist
Anybody that cheats at cricket cannot be trusted.
That is the best thing you have ever said, and true.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli.

Racist.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 11:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Give me a pakistani over a keralite. I know which one I'd trust more
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:01 pm
You read these things?

auzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond reputeauzdafluff has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in the previous thread, this smacks of the Christian witch hunts of the 15th to 18th centuries, and especially those of the Salem Witch Trials.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boomhauer

US gives Pakistan billions in aid, they have the ability to make Pakistan behave a bit less barbaric. US aid and threats of military/diplomatic action should be used to make Pakistan do away with blashphemy laws.
I wish. The Pakistani government itself lacks the ability to make them behave less barbarically- it is tolerated as a nuisance in some parts of Pakistan and not acknowledged in the rest of the country.
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

+1
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Pakistan is a frightening country - and likely has more extremists per capita than anywhere else.
Per Capita?? Are you sure about that - there are 180million of the buggers !

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 3rd 2012 at 12:30 pm. Reason: revised the numbers!
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 12:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why.
I find myself agreeing with you.

On Saturday I agreed with a gardener to come at 6am on Sunday to clear some rubbish. I duly got up at 5.45am. Did he show up? Did he bollocks... of course, at 5.45am this morning the bastard was ringing the door bell.

I have the pleasure of going there tonight. It'll be my first time - Can't wait.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.