British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/update-pakistani-blasphemy-case-770378/)

Spugsy Sep 3rd 2012 6:30 am

Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

Bit sinister this mind:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012...girl-blasphemy

Boomhauer Sep 3rd 2012 6:56 am

Re: Update on the Pakistani blasphemy case

When this story broke, I immediately suspected that this was a case of ethnic cleansing by the area Muslims. Frame the Christian girl, leading to a volatile atmosphere and voila the Christians are terrorised out of the neighbourhood.

It doesn't surprise me in the least that this local Iman framed the girl. Blasphemy laws are ethnic/racial chauvinist laws designed to terrorise and intimidate minorities.

----

US gives Pakistan billions in aid, they have the ability to make Pakistan behave a bit less barbaric. US aid and threats of military/diplomatic action should be used to make Pakistan do away with blashphemy laws.

Not a good solution but under the circumstances I wonder if it is right for non Muslim nations to enact tit-for-tat blasphemy laws, laws that Muslim nations will immidiately perceive as making life uncertain for their fellow Muslims and or ethnic kin resident in non Muslim nations. This could be followed with severe restrictions on visas for well to do Muslims from these Muslim nations.

Bahtatboy Sep 3rd 2012 7:01 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10260946)
Not a good solution but under the circumstances I wonder if it is right for non Muslim nations to enact tit-for-tat blasphemy laws...

Or any national of a muslim-only state carrying any item with the design below has the item confiscated at customs when arriving in Europe or the US on the grounds that it includes a crucifix and a muslim displaying a crucifix is clearly doing something wrong.

Attachment 108508

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2012 7:02 am

It's ****ing disgusting.

Take it at face value (assuming she did burn the pages):

Girl burns a bit of a book.

Potential death penalty because she set fire to some paper.

Depressing to think the world can still be so....I don't know....barbaric? pathetic? insecure? stupid?

Norm_uk Sep 3rd 2012 9:52 am

There have been multiple accusations from Christians in Pakistan than Muslims are using the blasphemy laws to put pressure on them, resolve personal vendettas etc...that seems to be working.

Pakistan is a frightening country - and likely has more extremists per capita than anywhere else. I would have to be a reformist/atheist/christian in a place like that.

N.

britexpat76 Sep 3rd 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10261196)

Pakistan is a frightening country

N.

They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli.

And they make me a little scared.

mentalist Sep 3rd 2012 11:15 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10261307)
They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli. And they make me a little scared.

Anybody that cheats at cricket cannot be trusted.

britexpat76 Sep 3rd 2012 11:22 am

Originally Posted by mentalist (Post 10261342)
Anybody that cheats at cricket cannot be trusted.

That is the best thing you have ever said, and true.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 3rd 2012 11:35 am

They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why. They seem to look at me like they want to re-arrange my face, would rather ram the car in front that let me out of a junction and never smile and say hello to me. And I am not an Indian or Israeli.

Racist.

Tockalosh Sep 3rd 2012 11:53 am

Give me a pakistani over a keralite. I know which one I'd trust more

auzdafluff Sep 3rd 2012 12:01 pm

Like I said in the previous thread, this smacks of the Christian witch hunts of the 15th to 18th centuries, and especially those of the Salem Witch Trials.

seven seas Sep 3rd 2012 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 10260946)

US gives Pakistan billions in aid, they have the ability to make Pakistan behave a bit less barbaric. US aid and threats of military/diplomatic action should be used to make Pakistan do away with blashphemy laws.

I wish. The Pakistani government itself lacks the ability to make them behave less barbarically- it is tolerated as a nuisance in some parts of Pakistan and not acknowledged in the rest of the country.

seven seas Sep 3rd 2012 12:03 pm

+1

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2012 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Norm_uk (Post 10261196)
Pakistan is a frightening country - and likely has more extremists per capita than anywhere else.

Per Capita?? Are you sure about that - there are 180million of the buggers !

Millhouse Sep 3rd 2012 12:29 pm

They are the only people here that I truly can never trust, and I am not sure why.

I find myself agreeing with you.

On Saturday I agreed with a gardener to come at 6am on Sunday to clear some rubbish. I duly got up at 5.45am. Did he show up? Did he bollocks... of course, at 5.45am this morning the bastard was ringing the door bell.

I have the pleasure of going there tonight. It'll be my first time - Can't wait.