at a loss :(

Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute
Default at a loss :(

folks i am at a loss....i don't know what to do......to cut a long story short i moved into my new apartment 01/10/17 - its a brand new building in the Marina...when i viewed the apartment (mid Sep) there was no Du or Gas connection (because both services were still being installed in the entire building) but i was told by the real estate broker that by the time my lease starts both would be completed - and hence why i signed the lease.
Gas was connected 28/11 and Du is still not connected.
So basically i have had to live without Gas for almost 2 months and without internet/tv/wifi for almost 3 months.
If i went to RERA would i have any kind of case - the RERA guy i spoke to over the phone couldn't follow what i was explaining and so i now don't really have a lot of faith if RERA can do anything?
Old Dec 17th 2017, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: at a loss :(

Wasn't there a thread on this at the time....?

I would go in to Rera and talk to them face to face. It's often easier than on the phone.

What is your landlord saying? Have you been chasing then up regularly? Have you got a record of emails, calls or whatever?

What does your contract say? If anything?

Personally I think you maybe able to get some rent back, but thats a long shot.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:07 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I'd be going ****ing loopy at everyone - estate agent for lying, landlord too and RERA.

Did you pay one cheque or more?

What have Du said about connecting to the building?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:21 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Wasn't there a thread on this at the time....?yeah there was......but at the time i was informed my tenancy contract would be extended for the period it takes them to complete the gas and du connection, and now they've turned around and said it will only be extended for 2 weeks! Which was not what was agreed.

I would go in to Rera and talk to them face to face. It's often easier than on the phone.Yeah i'm going to do that

What is your landlord saying?i haven't spoken to the landlord at all....the developer who is his representative would not give me his details, until yesterday when she finally sent his mobile number in Egypt (after i threatened to lawyers and courts involved) and so this afternoon i will my arabic co worker will ring the dude and find out if he is aware of what is going on Have you been chasing then up regularly? Have you got a record of emails, calls or whatever?i have several emails and numerous text messages chasing constantly

What does your contract say? If anything?contract is just your bog standard contract - doesn't mention anything about du or gas because those are the basic utilities that should be completed before renting out a property

Personally I think you maybe able to get some rent back, but thats a long shot.
yeah i highly doubt i will get any money back....but at the minimum i want my contract extended which they had agreed previously. Unfortunately whenever i sent an email or text message asking them to confirm the contract extension in writing, they never did - but verbally i was told that, which why i didn't take any further action at the time
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Scamp
I'd be going ****ing loopy at everyone - estate agent for lying, landlord too and RERA.oh trust me i was going ape sh*t at the estate agent when this all kicked off - their response is 'its now nothing to do with us....we showed you the apartment....we were told both du and gas would be connected by the time you move in and now that you have signed the contract it's between you and the landlord'

Did you pay one cheque or more?one cheque

What have Du said about connecting to the building?
Du can't do anything....it's the 3rd party contractor the developer has engaged who are trying to complete the wiring for the entire building....we are told every week it will be completed by the following week...it's now been almost 3 months! Du came in a couple of weeks ago to do an inspection and it failed.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

If you're not ringing, emailing and texting several times a day then you're doing this wrong Mission.

Hammer these idiots. If you politely ask and don't follow up in writing and don't chase them for things in writing and go through the RERA process and speak with the landlord and do everything you can then you're going to end up getting shafted at the end of this contract.

Use everything. Throw the kitchen sink at them. Tell them you're changing the locks and will move out on the 15th of X (months after you are meant to leave) when it's sorted.

Get RERA on it. Immediately.
Shout at people, especially the lying estate agents.
Discuss with landlord.
I'm assuming you paid the agent a fee for this 'service' too right?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

If you're not ringing, emailing and texting several times a day then you're doing this wrong Mission.

Hammer these idiots. If you politely ask and don't follow up in writing and don't chase them for things in writing and go through the RERA process and speak with the landlord and do everything you can then you're going to end up getting shafted at the end of this contract.

Use everything. Throw the kitchen sink at them. Tell them you're changing the locks and will move out on the 15th of X (months after you are meant to leave) when it's sorted.

Get RERA on it. Immediately.
Shout at people, especially the lying estate agents.
Discuss with landlord.
I'm assuming you paid the agent a fee for this 'service' too right?
i haven't been very proactive because i was told my contract would be extended....however since Du is still not connected i started sending text messages (from last week) and asking them to confirm that my contract will be extended for at least 3 months since Du is still not connected and in response i received a text message to say it will be extended by 2 weeks to which i said no, that is not what was agreed and then i asked for the landlord's details and she replied she was the landlord's representative ...i replied i don't care, my contract is with the landlord and so send me his contact details otherwise i will start court proceedings and so she finally sent me a contact number and so as soon as my arabic colleague returns to the office this afternoon we will ring the number.
i am just thinking IF once my lease has expired i stayed for further 1-2 months, can they legally enter my apartment and confiscate all my belongings etc?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by mission
i haven't been very proactive because i was told my contract would be extended....however since Du is still not connected i started sending text messages (from last week) and asking them to confirm that my contract will be extended for at least 3 months since Du is still not connected and in response i received a text message to say it will be extended by 2 weeks to which i said no, that is not what was agreed and then i asked for the landlord's details and she replied she was the landlord's representative ...i replied i don't care, my contract is with the landlord and so send me his contact details otherwise i will start court proceedings and so she finally sent me a contact number and so as soon as my arabic colleague returns to the office this afternoon we will ring the number.
i am just thinking IF once my lease has expired i stayed for further 1-2 months, can they legally enter my apartment and confiscate all my belongings etc?
Ring the landlord yourself, probably speaks English?
They might have no idea that this is happening and might be really helpful to come to an agreement.

To be honest, the problem isn't getting fixed soon by the sounds of it, I'd be asking for every single penny back and moving.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Ring the landlord yourself, probably speaks English?
They might have no idea that this is happening and might be really helpful to come to an agreement.

To be honest, the problem isn't getting fixed soon by the sounds of it, I'd be asking for every single penny back and moving.

i want to try and resolve this amicably and so i am hoping the landlord will be a lot more helpful. I have spent a fortunate on take away/delivery meals because i had no gas connection for 2 months and hence not been able to cook and i've spent a fortune on a data sim card just so i could have access to the internet for almost 3 months....all i want in return is for the landlord to recognise this and be reasonable and extend my contract my for at least 2-3 months.
I can't just move out...where would i move too? I have frigging paid AED 105k for the entire year....i can't just walk out.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 7:13 am
Account Closed

i want to try and resolve this amicably and so i am hoping the landlord will be a lot more helpful. I have spent a fortunate on take away/delivery meals because i had no gas connection for 2 months and hence not been able to cook and i've spent a fortune on a data sim card just so i could have access to the internet for almost 3 months....all i want in return is for the landlord to recognise this and be reasonable and extend my contract my for at least 2-3 months.
I can't just move out...where would i move too? I have frigging paid AED 105k for the entire year....i can't just walk out.
I think you should be on the phone to the LL now, whilst walking to your car and driving to RERA.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 8:16 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should be on the phone to the LL now, whilst walking to your car and driving to RERA.
Multi-tasking in extremis?

Tell them you have initiated legal proceedings and opened a case with RERA. Bluffing legal stuff seems to work wonders - you've already seen that with how fast it got you the landlord's details. Make it clear you are angry and serious and have thought this through.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

still waiting for my Arabic colleague to get back to the office so that we can ring the landlord.....in the mean time i will start to print off all emails and text messages (to present to RERA)....talking of text messages is there a way to print off whatsapp conversations/messages?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:07 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

still waiting for my Arabic colleague to get back to the office so that we can ring the landlord.....in the mean time i will start to print off all emails and text messages (to present to RERA)....talking of text messages is there a way to print off whatsapp conversations/messages?
you could probably take screenshots and print those?
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:09 am
...we killed the flame

Miss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Ann Thrope has a reputation beyond repute

As I'm feeling pedantic today: your colleague is Arab; the language he speaks is Arabic; and pretty much everything else Arab-related is correctly described as Arabian rather than Arabic. Except for bread oddly enough.

But anyway, on a more relevant note: screenshot your whatsapp conversations and print the image.
Old Dec 18th 2017, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

You need to get Emiratis involved, not Egyptians or people from the Subcontinent.

Get your company's Emirati head of housing involved - if he is not Emirati, find out who his boss is, and keep going up the chain until you reach an Emirati. That person then needs to speak to the landlord directly. If there is an Emirati lawyer at your company that might also do the trick.

Seems like a horrible situation. Sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.