British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Unlocking (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/unlocking-932666/)

Millhouse May 13th 2020 5:58 am

Unlocking

The guidance from my office is that we will only reopen once there has been around two weeks of sustained drops in new COVID cases. At that point we will only at 25% capacity on a voluntary basis. Then slowly up to 50% (but never running ahead of the local law), and then maybe 100% by the end of the year - again on a voluntary basis with WFH being actively encouraged. All out-of-country travel cancelled and I'm even supposed to notify them if I wish to travel to another emirate. I find all this a bit strange, although I must give them credit that we have great systems etc for working from home.

What are others' unlock plans? Already back to 100%, as cautious as us, or are you simply going to get the **** out of here as soon as flights reopen?

csdf May 13th 2020 8:32 am

Re: Unlocking

None announced so far, but I expect them to be pretty cautious, given the primacy of HSSE in this industry (oil/gas).

scrubbedexpat141 May 17th 2020 6:36 am

Opened at 30% capacity last Sunday.

Big push from the number one boss to get people in.
Our division management call laughed at the idea. None of us want to go in.
The forced decision for companies to let people work remotely has shown that the vast majority do it really, really well and appreciate it.
I really hope the dinosaur gammons that run big biz don't forget this and just demand the 8-6 presenteeism.

co durham boy May 17th 2020 6:52 am

We've been working as normal , some of our centralized functions have gone remote but Project and operational activities as per normal . That's really helped peoples attitude to dealing with it and actually getting on with the day to day activities when we can .

Its the quarantine aspect of labour and staff that's killing us , not the positive cases but the primary contacts. We had 1600 men decamped at one time as primary contacts . Total nightmare scenario and we're finding now that specific clients are asking for specific extra constraints on top of the DHA guidelines .

Burning cash faster than a Russian brass

csdf May 17th 2020 6:59 am

What's a primary contact? Someone who was in contact with a confirmed case?

Millhouse May 17th 2020 7:00 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12854204)
We've been working as normal , some of our centralized functions have gone remote but Project and operational activities as per normal . That's really helped peoples attitude to dealing with it and actually getting on with the day to day activities when we can .

Its the quarantine aspect of labour and staff that's killing us , not the positive cases but the primary contacts. We had 1600 men decamped at one time as primary contacts . Total nightmare scenario and we're finding now that specific clients are asking for specific extra constraints on top of the DHA guidelines .

Burning cash faster than a Russian brass

Where do you put all these people if not in a camp?

co durham boy May 17th 2020 7:08 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 12854207)
Where do you put all these people if not in a camp?

DHA designated facilities and some staff were accommodated in the DHA hotels . Decent gig as it was the Crown Plaza . We were a little bit ahead of the game and set up a designated quarantine facility that could hold around 700 but we maxed that out pretty quickly .

The problem is the goal posts are changing day by day . Some projects want 2 negative tests and a 12 day quarantine period before a return to work.

co durham boy May 17th 2020 7:10 am

Originally Posted by csdf (Post 12854206)
What's a primary contact? Someone who was in contact with a confirmed case?

Yes , usually a room mate or shared office space . Its a pretty specific guideline , there's also a secondary contact as well which delves into time spent with the primary contact and distance away from the contact, it's an absolute nightmare to manage .

Millhouse May 17th 2020 7:59 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 12854210)
DHA designated facilities and some staff were accommodated in the DHA hotels . Decent gig as it was the Crown Plaza . We were a little bit ahead of the game and set up a designated quarantine facility that could hold around 700 but we maxed that out pretty quickly .

The problem is the goal posts are changing day by day . Some projects want 2 negative tests and a 12 day quarantine period before a return to work.

Wow. Assuming you represent a fraction of the total, that's a lot of people to try and house etc. What a nightmare.