British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   United Kingdom (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/united-kingdom-604694/)

lionheart Apr 21st 2009 1:20 pm

United Kingdom

According to this article, Queen Elizabeth 2 (peace be upon her) is the ruler of the UK and Northern Ireland. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't the UK comprise Great Britain and Northern Ireland, so haven't Gulf News slipped up?

http://www.gulfnews.com/nation/Government/10306167.html

Meow Apr 21st 2009 1:27 pm

Re: United Kingdom

Stone them for it.

-

shiva Apr 21st 2009 1:29 pm

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Mercy, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

to be precise about it

shiva Apr 21st 2009 1:30 pm

in short

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith

so yes gulfnews as ever are wrong

Blue Cat Apr 21st 2009 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7499739)
in short

Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and of Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith

so yes gulfnews as ever are wrong

where is W10 when you need him ;)

shiva Apr 21st 2009 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7499740)
where is W10 when you need him ;)

hopefully hes busy bitch slapping his useless journos

Blue Cat Apr 21st 2009 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7499751)
hopefully hes busy bitch slapping his useless journos

here's hoping, it must drive him insane :o

shiva Apr 21st 2009 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7499758)
here's hoping, it must drive him insane :o

i'd imagine so.

shakh your bootie Apr 21st 2009 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 7499736)
Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of God, of Great Britain, Ireland and the British Dominions beyond the Seas Queen, Defender of the Faith, Duchess of Edinburgh, Countess of Merioneth, Baroness Greenwich, Duke of Lancaster, Lord of Mann, Duke of Normandy, Sovereign of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Sovereign of the Most Ancient and Most Noble Order of the Thistle, Sovereign of the Most Illustrious Order of Saint Patrick, Sovereign of the Most Distinguished Order of Saint Michael and Saint George, Sovereign of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire, Sovereign of the Distinguished Service Order, Sovereign of the Imperial Service Order, Sovereign of the Most Exalted Order of the Star of India, Sovereign of the Most Eminent Order of the Indian Empire, Sovereign of the Order of British India, Sovereign of the Indian Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of Burma, Sovereign of the Royal Order of Victoria and Albert, Sovereign of the Royal Family Order of King Edward VII, Sovereign of the Order of Mercy, Sovereign of the Order of Merit, Sovereign of the Order of the Companions of Honour, Sovereign of the Royal Victorian Order, Sovereign of the Most Venerable Order of the Hospital of St John of Jerusalem.

to be precise about it

Surely not currently Queen of Ireland???? It's a republic, goddammitt????

Also, ain't she Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland as her english predecessor didn't have you lot in her posse back then????

shiva Apr 21st 2009 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7499875)

Also, ain't she Queen Elizabeth I of Scotland as her english predecessor didn't have you lot in her posse back then????

funnily enough

"Scottish controversy"

"Though the situation was the same in every one of the Queen's realms beyond England (save, perhaps for Canada), only in Scotland did the title Elizabeth II cause controversy as there had never been an Elizabeth I in Scotland. In a rare act of sabotage, new Royal Mail post boxes in Scotland, bearing the cypher EIIR, were vandalised, after which, to avoid further problems, post boxes and Royal Mail vehicles in Scotland bore only the Crown of Scotland. A legal case, MacCormick v. Lord Advocate (1953 SC 396), was taken to contest the right of the Queen to title herself Elizabeth II within Scotland, arguing that to do so would be a breach of the Act of Union. The case, however, was lost on the grounds that the pursuers had not title to sue the Crown, and also that the numbering of monarchs was part of the Royal Prerogative, and thus not governed by the Act of Union. It was suggested by Winston Churchill that future British monarchs should be numbered according to either their English or Scottish predecessors, whichever number is higher;[10] equivalent rules have not, however, been applied in the other Commonwealth realms.

Less publicised controversies included the argument that the monarch was addressed as Your Grace in pre-union Scotland, and that the preferred title had been King/Queen of Scots rather than of Scotland. At the opening of the Scottish parliament in 1999, Presiding Officer David Steel referred to Elizabeth II as "not only the Queen of the United Kingdom but seated as you are among us in the historic and constitutionally correct manner as Queen of Scots."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_Elizabeth_II

moto111 Apr 21st 2009 6:42 pm

to me, she's just plain old Lizzie:D

Ethos83 Apr 22nd 2009 4:24 am

Last I checked, a handful of counties on the north of Ireland are under the jurisdiction of the UK. So yes, she is Queen of a portion of Ireland.

Originally Posted by shakh your bootie (Post 7499875)