Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Unanswerable Prayers - Christopher Hitchens

Unanswerable Prayers - Christopher Hitchens

Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:15 am
BE Forum Addict

benzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond reputebenzonar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Unanswerable Prayers - Christopher Hitchens

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Didn't monks invent beer? That's almost compelling evidence of the existence of God!
No they didn't, although like many things they might well claim to.

The old Egyptians and Mesopotamians enjoyed supping the odd beer, long before the concept of monotheism.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 11:24 am
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Monks invented champagne.

In the case of the Belgians, they did perfect the art of brewing beer

Originally Posted by benzonar

The old Egyptians and Mesopotamians enjoyed supping the odd beer, long before the concept of monotheism.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:59 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benzonar

Also the Chinese were brewing beer long before Christian monks were around.

Something to keep in mind was that all beer until the early 1900s was served at room or celler temperature and was often mulled like wine (warmed and spiced)...

Beats a pint of that Fosters crap I'm sure!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:18 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Nop£, just th£ l£tt£r £, I gu£ss.
And also th# l#tt#r #. I gu#ss !

So why put a £ or # instead of e in sex then if it is not bleeped?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:20 pm
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ethos83
Monks invented champagne.

In the case of the Belgians, they did perfect the art of brewing beer
I thought it was young widow (veuve) Clicquot in France?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:29 pm
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by littlejimmy
Even otherwise intelligent people can be brainwashed, unfortunately.
I have only know three priests in my life who frequently challenged my non belief in gods, naiads, elves, spirits (though not whisky) etc. All three confessed to not believing in God and that their job was just a vocation.

The main thrust of their argument/disbelief was that if their God was not a benevolent one, then he could not exist. Cases in point for one of them was a minibus accident that took the lives of five young children in Melbourne and for another, it was the holocaust and he he couldn't believe a benevolent God would allow such carnage.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:52 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm keeping my Trappist shut from now on...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 2:31 pm
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
And also th# l#tt#r #. I gu#ss !

So why put a £ or # instead of e in sex then if it is not bleeped?
It warn't me, Al Dente started it, she did.