British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The ultimate 'social media' insult? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/ultimate-social-media-insult-768141/)

The Dean Aug 13th 2012 8:30 am

The ultimate 'social media' insult?

Am I being over-sensitive? Or am I just out-of-touch?

I've had a verbal bollocking from an old mate for failing to turn up to his stag night (he's remarrying at the age of 54, bless him). I pleaded (genuine) ignorance - I had no idea when it was.

His reply? "But I posted all the details on Facebook!"

I told him, none too politely, that if after knowing each other for forty years he couldn't even pick up a phone, it was a pretty poor show.........

Don't suppose I'll be getting a wedding invite then - and I won't be joining FB just on the off-chance that he posts the invites there...........

Not happy. :frown:

Beaverstate Aug 13th 2012 8:35 am

Re: The ultimate 'social media' insult?

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10224248)

I've had a verbal bollocking from an old mate for failing to turn up to his stag night (he's remarrying at the age of 54, bless him). I pleaded (genuine) ignorance - I had no idea when it was.

I told him, none too politely, that if after knowing each other for forty years he couldn't even pick up a phone, it was a pretty poor show.........

Don't suppose I'll be getting a wedding invite then - and I won't be joining FB just on the off-chance that he posts the invites there...........

While missing a stag party is very unfortunate, yes he should have called. Now you don't need to buy an expensive wedding present.;)

Bahtatboy Aug 13th 2012 8:38 am

Pretty stupid of him not to check if you're on Facebook, and even then at least send an email.

Norm_uk Aug 13th 2012 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10224258)
Pretty stupid of him not to check if you're on Facebook, and even then at least send an email.

Agreed...no everyone is on Facebook or uses it regularly.

If it's something important a phone call and an email reminder would be more appropriate.

N.

seven seas Aug 13th 2012 12:39 pm

Him: over-sensitive

You: over-old

Blue Cat Aug 13th 2012 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10224248)

you should have gone back and asked him why didn't he tweet you?

LaLaLayla Aug 13th 2012 1:06 pm

Even my dad is on Facebook. My dad. The man who has never even owned a TV...

Meow Aug 13th 2012 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10224258)

Quite; although there was a story in the news recently that said something along the lines of people who are not on social media, such as facebook, are more likely to be psychopaths...

norsk Aug 13th 2012 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10224741)
Quite; although there was a story in the news recently that said something along the lines of people who are not on social media, such as facebook, are more likely to be psychopaths...

no doubt based on research commissioned by some social media agency....

Meow Aug 13th 2012 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10224762)
no doubt based on research commissioned by some social media agency....

The story was in the German magazine Der Tagesspiegel

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspieg...g/6911648.html

norsk Aug 13th 2012 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10224769)
The story was in the German magazine Der Tagesspiegel

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/weltspieg...g/6911648.html

Although in German which meant I had to seriously concentrate on trying to remember how it works after 15 years of not speaking the language, but the conclusions by the reporter are a bit lacking in my opinion..

Basically the logic put forward seems to be that psychopaths withdraw themselves from society hence they don't use social media (and that I can possibly buy), but turning that on its head to say that anyone who does not use social media must be a psychopath is a huge misinterpretation of cause and effect...

Interesting though. My theory is that people who use twitter/facebook obsessively (and let's face it that's quite common) are the same people who would display obsessive behaviour in other parts of their life...

Meow Aug 13th 2012 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by norsk (Post 10224797)
Although in German which meant I had to seriously concentrate on trying to remember how it works after 15 years of not speaking the language, but the conclusions by the reporter are a bit lacking in my opinion..

Basically the logic put forward seems to be that psychopaths withdraw themselves from society hence they don't use social media (and that I can possibly buy), but turning that on its head to say that anyone who does not use social media must be a psychopath is a huge misinterpretation of cause and effect...

Interesting though. My theory is that people who use twitter/facebook obsessively (and let's face it that's quite common) are the same people who would display obsessive behaviour in other parts of their life...

This is the most sensible comment about the article :)

"And with 955 million people logging into Facebook each month compared to seven billion people in the world, it seems unlikely that more than 85 per cent of the planet will turn out to be psychopaths"

(http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology/...#ixzz23Qw7a5Wk)

norsk Aug 13th 2012 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10224824)
This is the most sensible comment about the article :)

"And with 955 million people logging into Facebook each month compared to seven billion people in the world, it seems unlikely that more than 85 per cent of the planet will turn out to be psychopaths"

(http://www.theweek.co.uk/technology/...#ixzz23Qw7a5Wk)

some of the comments are hilarious... :rofl:

silly reporter had no idea how misinformed and stupid her article was until the backlash hit her..

Boomhauer Aug 13th 2012 1:59 pm

Don't understand how he could expect you to know when you aren't on FB.

Millhouse Aug 13th 2012 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10224741)

I'm not on facebook. What are they trying to say?