British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   UK Pension - Can I cash it in? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-pension-can-i-cash-890897/)

jam25mack Jan 31st 2017 9:59 am

UK Pension - Can I cash it in?

Hi All,

I have just run across a statement for a Standard Life pension from when I used to live and work in the UK. I'm thinking I may like to cash it in as there's only a couple of grand in it and I haven't paid into it for donkey years, and it's not as if I am planning on going back anytime soon.

In recent weeks I've had a few calls from companies offering to cash UK pensions in, however, I'm just wondering how easy it is to do and if I actually need a company to do it for me? If its easy enough I will do it myself and save the cut of the not some much cash that's actually there.

If I get enough for a decent trip this year I would be happy.

Bahtatboy Jan 31st 2017 10:25 am

Re: UK Pension - Can I cash it in?

Can I add to the above, what are the UK tax implications (if any) of cashing-in a pension if you're non-resident?

Meow Jan 31st 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12166322)
Hi All,

I have just run across a statement for a Standard Life pension from when I used to live and work in the UK. I'm thinking I may like to cash it in as there's only a couple of grand in it and I haven't paid into it for donkey years, and it's not as if I am planning on going back anytime soon.

In recent weeks I've had a few calls from companies offering to cash UK pensions in, however, I'm just wondering how easy it is to do and if I actually need a company to do it for me? If its easy enough I will do it myself and save the cut of the not some much cash that's actually there.

If I get enough for a decent trip this year I would be happy.

Not unless you are aged over 55 years.

If you are it is possible but how it would work depends on the total value of all UK pension plans.

Meow Jan 31st 2017 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 12166347)
Can I add to the above, what are the UK tax implications (if any) of cashing-in a pension if you're non-resident?

Any income arising in the UK is taxable.

There is a thing called Trivial Commutation but that applies only to total funds of GBP 10,000 or less.

Pensions are a delightfully complex issue but I an not going to go into full details on here. Suffice to say that proper advice is required and hearsay is often incorrect.

Bahtatboy Jan 31st 2017 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 12166360)
Any income arising in the UK is taxable.

There is a thing called Trivial Commutation but that applies only to total funds of GBP 10,000 or less.

Pensions are a delightfully complex issue but I an not going to go into full details on here. Suffice to say that proper advice is required and hearsay is often incorrect.

Dearest Meow

Many thanks for your kind and prompt advice.

Kind regards

Bahtatboy

jam25mack Jan 31st 2017 12:17 pm

Thanks Meow....

Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true.

So whats the deal with these companies offering the service? Solely dealing with folk over 55 or is it something shady?

Johnnyboy11 Jan 31st 2017 12:31 pm

A word of caution from HMRC:

"Some companies offer to help you get money out of your pension before you’re 55. This could be an unauthorised payment. If it’s unauthorised, you pay up to 55% tax on it."

Meow Jan 31st 2017 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by Johnnyboy11 (Post 12166492)
A word of caution from HMRC:

"Some companies offer to help you get money out of your pension before you’re 55. This could be an unauthorised payment. If it’s unauthorised, you pay up to 55% tax on it."

Exactly this!

Run away from anyone who promises you all your pension money as cash without tax to pay. It's not legit.

Meow Jan 31st 2017 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 12166482)
Thanks Meow....

Thought it sounded a bit too good to be true.

So whats the deal with these companies offering the service? Solely dealing with folk over 55 or is it something shady?

Shady would be putting it kindly.

Johnnyboy11 Jan 31st 2017 3:39 pm

Meow Feb 1st 2017 6:00 am

:lol: Love a bit of South Park.

Scarily close to some of the pieces I have been trying to pick up for people recently. :sneaky: