Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK names - aka you named your child what?

UK names - aka you named your child what?

Old Aug 14th 2013, 9:28 am

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK names - aka you named your child what?

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
Reminds me of the dim-witted BBC commentator - "In fact Ghadafi's Christian name is Moammar"
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:32 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk View Post
Allah is used by Muslims and Christian Arabs to refer to God, the Supreme Being. Since Abdullah literally means "slave/servant of Allah" a Christian Arab could conceivable call a child by that name and it would be no less valid a Christian or be taking the p*ss.

Allah was used by pre-Islamic Arabians to refer to one of their deities, who created the world and brought rains. This deity was not alone and is thought to have had sons and daughters, the Arabs were polytheists before. Mohammad's own father's name was Abdullah. It was in use as a name before Islam quite obviously.

As a side note Muslims believe that although Allah was the name of a pre-Islamic deity they do not worship this deity but rather seem to have adopted the name as a descriptor for the supreme being, in the same way as the ancient Hebrews took the name YHWH and Elohim from a pre-monotheistic Canaanite pantheons.

One could be called Percy Smith and be as Muslim as some called Omar or Khalid. It seems some Muslims place a primacy on Arabian culture which causes the present association with Arabian names and Islam. 1400 years of most Arabs being Muslim due to the previous Islamic conquests adds to this association no doubt. I suppose it's like so many Roman names being associated with Catholic names today.

N.
So that's a "yeah, basically you're right", then?
Old Aug 14th 2013, 12:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I rather like the Napoleonic system, where the State publishes a list of acceptable names and you have to choose from them. I wonder how the French have coped with all those Algerians and other North Africans.
Old Aug 14th 2013, 8:32 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
So that's a "yeah, basically you're right", then?
You're right and so am I more like.

Back to the beer now.

N.
Old Aug 15th 2013, 8:01 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

You're right and so am I more like.

Back to the beer now.

N.
Can't argue with that
Old Aug 15th 2013, 9:06 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy View Post
Can't argue with that
That's probably why there is so much trouble in the ME. They don't sit down together with a beer and sort it out.

Old Aug 15th 2013, 11:17 am
WWLLCJD?

Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute

270's for me.

Slightly concerned that puts me 30ish places behind 'Aryan'.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
That's probably why there is so much trouble in the ME. They don't sit down together with a beer and sort it out.

Indeed, for most of them having a beer is a punishable offense so it's not quite the relaxing activity it is for the rest of planet.

N.
Old Aug 18th 2013, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Allah was used by pre-Islamic Arabians to refer to one of their deities, who created the world and brought rains. This deity was not alone and is thought to have had sons and daughters, the Arabs were polytheists before. Mohammad's own father's name was Abdullah. It was in use as a name before Islam quite obviously.
"... the names of gods come and go with the spoken languages of peoples. The name of God in the Aramaic language of two thousand years ago was, actually, “Allah”. That was Jesus’s god, since he spoke Aramaic as his native language. The same name is used today not just by all Moslems, but also by all Christians in the Middle East, to the best of my knowledge. The name derives originally from the earliest reported Biblical name of a tribal god – Elohim, which is actually a plural form from the time before the Children of Israel settled on a single deity."
The above is from a blog-post of mine from March last year, if anybody wants to look up the context. Allah did not necessarily begin with the Arabians, or with the ancestors of the Israelites. The changing languages of the times make the name's origin impossible to identify. It could quite plausibly be a variant of Ba'al of the people of Palestine; indeed, it could be present in the very name of Palestine.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Yoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond reputeYoohoo has a reputation beyond repute

Okaaaaayyyyy - and all this leads to the logical conclusion that non-Muslims in the UK are dead likely to call their son Abdullah or Mohammed right?

I think you guys are splitting hairs here. Which is far preferable to splitting heirs I suppose, but I think you can stop now.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:44 am

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
I rather like the Napoleonic system, where the State publishes a list of acceptable names and you have to choose from them. I wonder how the French have coped with all those Algerians and other North Africans.
The rioting in Paris suburbs is a testimony to effective integration policies in France. I think Britain's not far behind in brilliant naturalisation and immigration too. The ghettos based on ethnic and religious lines are a fine enrichment to what was previously a terrible culture in Britain with no innovation, entertainment or ambition.

N.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:49 am

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
"... the names of gods come and go with the spoken languages of peoples. The name of God in the Aramaic language of two thousand years ago was, actually, “Allah”. That was Jesus’s god, since he spoke Aramaic as his native language. The same name is used today not just by all Moslems, but also by all Christians in the Middle East, to the best of my knowledge. The name derives originally from the earliest reported Biblical name of a tribal god – Elohim, which is actually a plural form from the time before the Children of Israel settled on a single deity."
The above is from a blog-post of mine from March last year, if anybody wants to look up the context. Allah did not necessarily begin with the Arabians, or with the ancestors of the Israelites. The changing languages of the times make the name's origin impossible to identify. It could quite plausibly be a variant of Ba'al of the people of Palestine; indeed, it could be present in the very name of Palestine.
Interesting.

You do know the name Palestine comes from the name of the Aegean peoples who invaded and were defeated and absorbed by the Israelites/Canaanites. It only came into use as a description of the area when the Greeks attempted to remove Hebrew identity over Judea and Israel by naming the area Syria Palestina. The Romans did the same thing years later and the name seems to have stuck.

I suppose it's like calling Zimbabwe Rhoedesia...

N.
Old Aug 19th 2013, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Yoohoo View Post
Okaaaaayyyyy - and all this leads to the logical conclusion that non-Muslims in the UK are dead likely to call their son Abdullah or Mohammed right?

I think you guys are splitting hairs here. Which is far preferable to splitting heirs I suppose, but I think you can stop now.
I admit to splitting hairs because that's how I am.

I admit that by association not many non-Muslims today will call their children Abdullah or Mohammed.

N.