British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   UK names - aka you named your child what? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-names-aka-you-named-your-child-what-805748/)

Meow Aug 12th 2013 11:32 am

UK names - aka you named your child what?

The Office of National Statistics has just released a list of all the names babies born in the UK were given last year.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publicatio...cm%3A77-318071

Most tables are for the top 100 names, but if you look at Table 6 in each spreadsheet (there's one each for boys and girls) you'll see a full list, down to names being given to just three children.

The less common names include Duchess, Rainbow, Shanel (sic) and Bambi for girls (are these cats or children?) and Zeus (a lot to live up to) and Sully (Monsters Inc fan?) for boys. Rodney was a popular as the last two with three boys being given each of those names.

Have a read and judge away... :D

Feel free to tell us how popular/common your name is. I'm in the 2,500s somewhere.

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 11:59 am

Re: UK names - aka you named your child what?

I can't even find my name or the child's on the list :)

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10846598)
I can't even find my name or the child's on the list :)

Table 6

The child is in the low 200s. You're in the 500s. No 580...

jam25mack Aug 12th 2013 12:07 pm

I'm at 64 for E & W 2012.

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846607)
Table 6

The child is in the low 200s. You're in the 500s. No 580...

so you are rarer than me then :rofl:

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10846621)
so you are rarer than me then :rofl:

Naturally. You commoner! :p

Yoohoo Aug 12th 2013 12:17 pm

I noticed that the different spellings of Mohammed, if added together, make it the second-most popular name in England and Wales, adding up to 7139 newborn boys being given that name in 2012. I tried to see if there was a similar theme for girls, but there are far fewer obviously Muslim names in the top 100.

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846626)
Naturally. You commoner! :p

totally common, so common there are two of me .....

:rofl:

csdf Aug 12th 2013 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Yoohoo (Post 10846630)
I noticed that the different spellings of Mohammed, if added together, make it the second-most popular name in England and Wales, adding up to 7139 newborn boys being given that name in 2012. I tried to see if there was a similar theme for girls, but there are far fewer obviously Muslim names in the top 100.

Yeah: the top three would be Harry, Mohammed and Oliver. Good, solid, British names.

Kix Aug 12th 2013 12:34 pm

Can't open it on a mobile, guessing the boys are fairly low with the elder higher up than the younger.

And goodness knows where ex's is. Bottom 5%?

csdf Aug 12th 2013 12:38 pm

I feel sorry for the people with misspelled names:
Maxmilian, Maxwel, Laurens, Johny...

Meow Aug 12th 2013 12:49 pm

There are a few boys with the name 'Le'.

Imagine a school exchange trip to France.

Je m'appelle Le.
Le? Le quoi?
Non, Le!
Oui, le quoi????

etc..... :rofl:

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 1:02 pm

Table 6 is the one - all boys names......... can't find my son anywhere....... unique then.......... :thumbup:

The Dean Aug 12th 2013 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10846545)
The Office of National Statistics has just released a list of all the names babies born in the UK were given last year.

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/publicatio...cm%3A77-318071

Most tables are for the top 100 names, but if you look at Table 6 in each spreadsheet (there's one each for boys and girls) you'll see a full list, down to names being given to just three children.

The less common names include Duchess, Rainbow, Shanel (sic) and Bambi for girls (are these cats or children?) and Zeus (a lot to live up to) and Sully (Monsters Inc fan?) for boys. Rodney was a popular as the last two with three boys being given each of those names.

Have a read and judge away... :D

Feel free to tell us how popular/common your name is. I'm in the 2,500s somewhere.

Does it say if middle names are included? I wonder - because Aston and Martin have exactly the same number in the boys' list in Table 6..........

Blue Cat Aug 12th 2013 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10846706)
Does it say if middle names are included? I wonder - because Aston and Martin have exactly the same number in the boys' list in Table 6..........

Aston has got to be popular because of JLS