Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK man beaten to death?

UK man beaten to death?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 4:47 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK man beaten to death?

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Nah, there are loads of suckers - most of those that arrived post 2008 I would guess.

The reality is that the majority of people here are vastly overpaid - few will admit it though.
I can understand why people would come to Dubai, sucked in to the hype, post 2008 - but not why any of them would stay...

The story of the two buckets really does have a ring of truth to it, much more so than anywhere else I've been an expat.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I can understand why people would come to Dubai, sucked in to the hype, post 2008 - but not why any of them would stay...

The story of the two buckets really does have a ring of truth to it, much more so than anywhere else I've been an expat.
The trouble is the bright ones work on the bucket theory and always have done , there's others who's buckets are overflowing with shite and they'll still not leave.

Dubai's a cracking posting to earn a living but i do not see any point in being in the Gulf if my bank balance is not rising month by month.

The whole point in being here is so i don't have to come back !
Old Apr 14th 2011, 5:46 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

http://gulfnews.com/detained-briton-...neral-1.792618

"The forensic report attributed Brown’s death to asphyxia. The deceased choked on his own vomit. The report also pointed to traces of hashish in his blood and urine samples,” Al Humaidan said."
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:03 pm
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
@dxbmediaoffice just tweeted that he suffocated
But then again, maybe the British guys were not telling the truth. They are in jail, lets say for bounced cheques and no hope of a quick get-out.
Now with this all over the media in the UK, they are in a good position to have the embassy put pressure on for the release for their own safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13085398

"The Foreign Office added that a "number of requests" had been made on behalf of four other Britons at the police station and UK officials visited them on 14 April and would be contacting their families."

Perhaps I am being cynical, it doesn't change the fact that the guy died whilst in police custody...but maybe the UK press have just seen this as another great opportunity to bash Dubai before waiting to get all the facts.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
But then again, maybe the British guys were not telling the truth. They are in jail, lets say for bounced cheques and no hope of a quick get-out.
Now with this all over the media in the UK, they are in a good position to have the embassy put pressure on for the release for their own safety.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-13085398

"The Foreign Office added that a "number of requests" had been made on behalf of four other Britons at the police station and UK officials visited them on 14 April and would be contacting their families."

Perhaps I am being cynical, it doesn't change the fact that the guy died whilst in police custody...but maybe the UK press have just seen this as another great opportunity to bash Dubai before waiting to get all the facts.
The guy died in Police custody , whether he was pissed or high , he died , he was their responsibility while in Bur Dubai prison but the trouble is his life means nothing to them and trying to get answers will be virtually impossible as we all know.

That's about the only fact that we'll ever know , Dubai bashing , i think they deserve most of the bad press they get and more , thousands of people come to a sticky end in Dubai and only a minute amount of that ever gets reported.

It's like the fall of Rome....
Old Apr 15th 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

Bought a Daily Mail from Spinneys yesterday and there was nearly a full page completely blank and no mention of this story anywhere else......

Also heard it on BBC radio news yesterday and saw it briefly mentioned on Sky News.

I expect it'll die down fairly quickly though as people lose interest - sad but true.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 5:29 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
http://gulfnews.com/detained-briton-...neral-1.792618"The forensic report attributed Brown’s death to asphyxia. The deceased choked on his own vomit. The report also pointed to traces of hashish in his blood and urine samples,” Al Humaidan said."
What do you expect from the Gulf News? At least there is no denial that he was badly beaten up, only thgat he wasn't tortured. Without doubt, he would not have died if he had not been abused by all those officers. Interesting that the UAE press now make the victim the criminal. Tried to throw the housekeeper six floors, my ass.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 6:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by typical
I don't get this either - I know many people (who at least claim) to be worse off here. That makes no sense to me.

Is that because in many other expat locations there is no material money bucket, no shit bucket or a combination of both?

Personally, the whole money-shit bucket doesn't fit well with me. I'm amazed what I see people accept in pursuit of filling the money bucket - I just wouldn't accept it regardless of money.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:05 am
Account Closed

On the bucket issue, I can honestly say that, leaving aside tax, I am being paid more than double what I would get in my profession back in the UK. Moreover, there are almost no jobs for someone of my advanced age back home.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 7:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
On the bucket issue, I can honestly say that, leaving aside tax, I am being paid more than double what I would get in my profession back in the UK. Moreover, there are almost no jobs for someone of my advanced age back home.
so why do you whine on about the price of everything?
Old Apr 15th 2011, 10:21 am
Account Closed

so why do you whine on about the price of everything?
Because when my job ends here, we will have to live off our savings.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lionheart
Because when my job ends here, we will have to live off our savings.
ah fair enough. Not in the emirates I assume/hope though.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 1:40 pm
Account Closed

ah fair enough. Not in the emirates I assume/hope though.
Hoping it may be Kenya, where the money will last much longer.
Old Apr 15th 2011, 2:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't get this either - I know many people (who at least claim) to be worse off here. That makes no sense to me.

Is that because in many other expat locations there is no material money bucket, no shit bucket or a combination of both?

Personally, the whole money-shit bucket doesn't fit well with me. I'm amazed what I see people accept in pursuit of filling the money bucket - I just wouldn't accept it regardless of money.
It's a balancing act really i think , we all need to get where we need to get to eventually and to do that we need cash. Some of us may have more than others so they can tip the balance maybe.

Being in the Gulf means money , there's nothing else here and i know , i've been in all of these countries for long enough , i've had countless conversations with ex-pats and friends over the years who seem to think that this is paradise and they've found utopia . They've all ended up shafted and back home.

Living here is fu**king aggravation from start to finish , the only thing that off sets that is cash and the knowing that you can tip the balance in your favour eventually.

I'm here because my jobs here , they don't build airports and bridges in the Turks and Caicos Islands so i know what i'm up against. What i can't get my head around is the people who'd give there right arm to be here or would clean the outside bogs in Karama market to stay here.....

Or people that pay money to holiday here.....Strange
Old Apr 15th 2011, 3:08 pm
Excess Baggage

littlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond reputelittlejimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by co durham boy
It's a balancing act really i think , we all need to get where we need to get to eventually and to do that we need cash. Some of us may have more than others so they can tip the balance maybe.

Being in the Gulf means money , there's nothing else here and i know , i've been in all of these countries for long enough , i've had countless conversations with ex-pats and friends over the years who seem to think that this is paradise and they've found utopia . They've all ended up shafted and back home.

Living here is fu**king aggravation from start to finish , the only thing that off sets that is cash and the knowing that you can tip the balance in your favour eventually.

I'm here because my jobs here , they don't build airports and bridges in the Turks and Caicos Islands so i know what i'm up against. What i can't get my head around is the people who'd give there right arm to be here or would clean the outside bogs in Karama market to stay here.....

Or people that pay money to holiday here.....Strange
My bucket of shite is getting full already, and I've only been back here a matter of days. Have to say it's not really anything to do with it being the UAE. It's the Korean food...goes right through ya!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.