Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK man beaten to death?

UK man beaten to death?

Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:43 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK man beaten to death?

I suspect there is more to this story than these articles are saying...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ubai-cell.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lice-cell.html
Old Apr 14th 2011, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK man beaten to death?

^^^
Probably. But OTOH, human rights in the Gulf are a joke so people will tend to believe that such a story is quite believable. Everyone knows Asians & Africans are treated like crap and occasionally a Western expat will get shafted but just how prevalent is abuse of Westerners?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:23 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if any of you read the articles that are published on my site about being in cells/jail here, but this doesn't surprise me, sadly
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

rhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nicerhrhrh is just really nice

Originally Posted by Blue Cat
I don't know if any of you read the articles that are published on my site about being in cells/jail here, but this doesn't surprise me, sadly
Nor me
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:52 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

its also in todays times.

a common occurence here unfortunately however i suspect that beating a tourist to death from the UK may just have been a bit of a large **** up especially given the survey done the other day that rated dubai as being seen as an unsafe destination for british tourists.

wonder if the family will ask for blood money or if they are offered it will take it and keep quiet or tell them to shove it and raise a stink.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:54 am
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
its also in todays times.

a common occurence here unfortunately however i suspect that beating a tourist to death from the UK may just have been a bit of a large **** up especially given the survey done the other day that rated dubai as being seen as an unsafe destination for british tourists.

wonder if the family will ask for blood money or if they are offered it will take it and keep quiet or tell them to shove it and raise a stink.
wonder if they are even aware about bloody money etc, I they do the latter personally
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:57 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

wonder if they are even aware about bloody money etc, I they do the latter personally
good point maybe someone should make sure its mentioned in the papers back home.

"price of a life" and all that!
Old Apr 14th 2011, 6:59 am
Concierge

good point maybe someone should make sure its mentioned in the papers back home.

"price of a life" and all that!
it disgusts me that they can put a price on a life, remember all the Asian guys throwing themselves under cars just so their families could have financial security?
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

it disgusts me that they can put a price on a life, remember all the Asian guys throwing themselves under cars just so their families could have financial security?
Yeah it is just revolting that justice can be bought off by exploiting the sad financial situation of the victim's family.

The Asian labourer situation is very sad, in India thousands of farmers have committed suicide because they couldn;t pay their debts.In Dubai, they commit suicide to provide for their family because most likely they get crap for pay and working conditions are crap.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:11 am
**** it we'll do it live

yup, about 4 yrs ago one of them jumped in front of a friend of ours on SZR, pretty much wrecked her life at the same times as taking his own.

she spent months in court everyday all proceedings in arabic with no translator at the end of it she was found not guilty it was deemed a suicide, which isnt surprising as he jumped of a flyover and landed on her car! the insurance company paid out a few hundred thousand dirhams to his family and she got on a plane and left having suffered a bit of a mental break during the trial

****ed up doesnt come close
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:27 am
Concierge

yup, about 4 yrs ago one of them jumped in front of a friend of ours on SZR, pretty much wrecked her life at the same times as taking his own.

she spent months in court everyday all proceedings in arabic with no translator at the end of it she was found not guilty it was deemed a suicide, which isnt surprising as he jumped of a flyover and landed on her car! the insurance company paid out a few hundred thousand dirhams to his family and she got on a plane and left having suffered a bit of a mental break during the trial

****ed up doesnt come close
years ago it happened to a friend of mine, he packed up and cleared off the next day
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:35 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

I've been digging around. Seems a local paper posted the story online, but removed it. He was also arrested for an alcohol related offence, which I don't think has been reported. Either way, he died in police custody which is absolutely sickening.

It would help if these UK rags would report the story in a non-sensational manner, as the way they do it makes people here inclined to disbelieve the story.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:40 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Meow

It would help if these UK rags would report the story in a non-sensational manner, as the way they do it makes people here inclined to disbelieve the story.

id have to disagree, we all know it happens here so why wouldnt we believe it when the colour of skin and passport change?

actually i do know why, self imposed reality as a self defence mechanism is why
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The city of many visions - and fast performance cars
weescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond reputeweescot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I've been digging around. Seems a local paper posted the story online, but removed it. He was also arrested for an alcohol related offence, which I don't think has been reported. Either way, he died in police custody which is absolutely sickening.

This the Sun and the Mail! Have you never heard the old Fleet street expression "If it bleeds, it leads..."?

Right or wrong, sensational reporting makes money... basic business formula for tabloid journalism.
Old Apr 14th 2011, 7:44 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NorthernLad
I suspect there is more to this story than these articles are saying...

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ubai-cell.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...lice-cell.html
Most tourists see a fast glittering first world city with entertainment in abundance with unspoilt beaches and first rate hospitality.

They then associate that with first world governance and laws that are set up to protect people and serve society in general.

Then when faced with what they deem a minor incident a catastrophic series of events can happen and eventually can lead to this sad case.
It's a total clash of cultures coupled with ignorance and arrogance from sometimes both sides.

A sad story but inevitable in places like Dubai , i've met a lot of very naive ex-pats over the years who struggle with the basics , just think of what a naive tourist thinks.I believe the Gulfs not a tourist destination anywhere including Dubai.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.