British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   UK iphone - Etisalat (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-iphone-etisalat-713728/)

Autonomy Apr 18th 2011 10:20 am

UK iphone - Etisalat

Hi,

I know this has been discussed, just for piece of mind, what is the post paid packages on Etisalat for a UK unlocked iphone 4

Their website seems to only list packages that include the phone - we have the phone already though....

Also - the process of changing from pre paid Wasel to post paid and a micro SIM - anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,

Auto

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 10:35 am

Re: UK iphone - Etisalat

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9311357)
Hi,

I know this has been discussed, just for piece of mind, what is the post paid packages on Etisalat for a UK unlocked iphone 4

Their website seems to only list packages that include the phone - we have the phone already though....

Also - the process of changing from pre paid Wasel to post paid and a micro SIM - anyone done this?

Thanks in advance,

Auto

I will be getting an iphone 4 at some point, over here though - best packages?

Autonomy Apr 18th 2011 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311384)
I will be getting an iphone 4 at some point, over here though - best packages?

Just looked at UK, USA and UAE - very little price difference it seems using Amazon etc.

UK 32GB is about 3,600dhs but it has face time where as UAE will not.

Spugsy Apr 18th 2011 10:46 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9311408)
Just looked at UK, USA and UAE - very little price difference it seems using Amazon etc.

UK 32GB is about 3,600dhs but it has face time where as UAE will not.

How much?!?

Autonomy Apr 18th 2011 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 9311417)
How much?!?

Apple UK - 16GB 510 GBP (3,060dhs) / 32GB 612 GBP (3,672dhs)
http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/hom...co=MTAyNTQzMjI
Amazon US - unlocked 16GB $830 (3,054 dhs) / 32GB $970 (3,569dhs)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...locked&x=0&y=0
UAE - Etisalat has packages but you need to be a post paid customer already.
Jadapado - UAE - 3,467dhs
http://www.jadopado.com/product/iphone-4-32gb/

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 12:44 pm

http://www.emiratesavenue.com/buy-in...Phones/iPhone/

Emirates Avenue 3149 Dhs :thumbup:

Autonomy Apr 18th 2011 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9311601)

that's 16GB - the 32GB is 3,649dhs...

all much of a muchness....

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9311636)
that's 16GB - the 32GB is 3,649dhs...

all much of a muchness....

yeah but the owner of EA is a friend of mine, I go on trust and good recommendations not fly by companies :)

Autonomy Apr 18th 2011 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 9311653)
yeah but the owner of EA is a friend of mine, I go on trust and good recommendations not fly by companies :)

hehe - I know...

We're getting it in the UK I think though as J will be there this weekend...

Blue Cat Apr 18th 2011 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9311662)
hehe - I know...

We're getting it in the UK I think though as J will be there this weekend...

excellent!! I love mine with a passion!

Purdey Apr 18th 2011 3:46 pm

Well, IMO your BEST option (pricewise) is to buy from Etisalat for AED499 plus AED 250 a month for 12 months which includes 125 minutes, 125 texts and 2GB data pcm.
Otherwise, if you buy from UK, I think you need either a Your Plan (or whatever it's called) or just a data bundle starting at AED 145 a month - I think you can also do this on pre-pay. But, I think they have now completely locked down facetime even on UK phones - I had it then upgraded the software and then the FT activation failed.

Autonomy Apr 19th 2011 5:37 am

Originally Posted by Purdey (Post 9311999)
Well, IMO your BEST option (pricewise) is to buy from Etisalat for AED499 plus AED 250 a month for 12 months which includes 125 minutes, 125 texts and 2GB data pcm.
Otherwise, if you buy from UK, I think you need either a Your Plan (or whatever it's called) or just a data bundle starting at AED 145 a month - I think you can also do this on pre-pay. But, I think they have now completely locked down facetime even on UK phones - I had it then upgraded the software and then the FT activation failed.

Interesting about face time - is your apple ID registered as UK or UAE?

Omar Kassim Apr 19th 2011 6:08 am

Hi Guys,

I hope that you are all well.

I wanted to jump in quickly and give you a quick heads up on JadoPado. We're most definitely not a fly by night entity - and I don't think it's fair to state that we are without looking into it first.

I've personally been living in the UAE for over 25 years. We've been in business our here since the early 70's - and last September we decided to start on JadoPado as a new project.

Granted that Emirates Avenue has been around for a bit longer in the online space, but competition is always healthy!

Getting back on topic - I personally picked up my iPhone 4 in the UK last summer direct from Apple Retail. I think it comes down to where you're going to be using it and whether you want Facetime out of the box - or whether you're willing to jailbreak.

If you grab the 16GB iPhone 4 from Etisalat at their cheapest AED 99 per month + AED 2049 up front - you're paying a total of AED 3237 for the 16GB. The upside here is that you're getting 1GB of data, 125 mins talk time and 125 texts every month - great if you're living in the UAE. Downside - no Facetime out of the box.

Etisalat's full range of price plans are: http://bit.ly/6qLau

Prices of import units have slid in recent weeks on the back of speculation that Apple may just announce the iPhone 5 this summer at WWDC. I personally think they won't release a new phone until early next year - it breaks from their cycle - but it makes sense considering the the new iPad effort on their hands - which wasn't around during previous iterations of the iPhone.

For the sake of comparison JadoPado's prices at the moment are AED 2850 on the 16GB and AED 3467 on the 32GB -unlocked with Facetime. To anyone looking to buy, make sure you have a look around both offline and online - prices tend to fluctuate and you never know where you may find a better deal!

We crossed 50 delivered customer orders yesterday. It feels like our lil' experiment is off to a good start! :)

Kind Regards,

Omar Kassim

Omar Kassim Apr 19th 2011 6:16 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9311357)
Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Auto

Hey Autonomy,

I actually went through the process of transferring my pre-paid Wasl a few years ago to post paid and then recently upgraded that etisalat's Taw'am service - which essentially gives you dual sims.

I initially ran into a lot of issues around their first batches of micro sims - the quality was horrible, I kept getting knocked off the 3G network. I think the sim quality on the micro sims has improved - but I personally ended up switching back to regular sims and chopping them down to size :)

I currently have one chopped sim in my iPhone 4 and another in my old iPad 32GB 3G.

Unfortunately with etisalat even little things are a bit of process. But once sorted, you're usually ok for a while!

Spugsy Apr 19th 2011 7:51 am

Originally Posted by Autonomy (Post 9313311)
Interesting about face time - is your apple ID registered as UK or UAE?

So you can't have facetime no matter what are you saying?