Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK finally fights back over foreign labour

UK finally fights back over foreign labour

Old Feb 1st 2009, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of
Default Re: UK finally fights back over foreign labour

Originally Posted by Charismatic
There are some areas that are beyond the interests of economic entities that still need legislating.

I've often pondered if voters could award a contract to run governments to a management company or similar? The company(s) tenders a legally binding proposal that clearly outlines it's future intentions, economic forecasts, social policies, their fees, promises to uphold human rights, be fully audited etc. Voters opt for their preference at regular intervals (X years or whatever). It's not a huge leap from our current system when you think about it .
I think yes accountability and audits of governments would be a great leap forward, good point...

but i do not have a lot of faith in large global financial institutions or multi national companies to think too far ahead than how they will hike up their next bonus, do companies actually try and adhere to their commitments and agreements (the start of Bisons thread)?

the point I made about companies getting out of their signed workforce agreements by bringing in cheaper labour and undercutting existing legislation by looking for a cheaper alternative, whatever the social and economic impact on the local community?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

GattaMatta is an unknown quantity at this point

Why don't we rebuild Adrian's wall?
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 7:55 pm
W10

Is that the one in Canvey Island? Next to the school?

Old Feb 3rd 2009, 6:20 pm
same shit different day

Slingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond reputeSlingshot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bison
I was just reading on sky news about a series of demonstrations across the UK over foreigners taking British Jobs, something I was talking about in another thread not so long ago.

It looks like some British have finally had enough and grown a back bone after a huge contract was offered to Italian workers and the British didn't even have the opportunity to apply. If you ask me, that is disgusting and Britain needs to do something like Emiratisation.
I loved the guy who said 'we can't work with these i-ties' - f me, he would be lost in Dubai