Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK finally fights back over foreign labour

UK finally fights back over foreign labour

Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:19 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK finally fights back over foreign labour

I was just reading on sky news about a series of demonstrations across the UK over foreigners taking British Jobs, something I was talking about in another thread not so long ago.

It looks like some British have finally had enough and grown a back bone after a huge contract was offered to Italian workers and the British didn't even have the opportunity to apply. If you ask me, that is disgusting and Britain needs to do something like Emiratisation.

Gordon Brown said he recognised people were "worried" about jobs being taken by workers from other countries, but stressed that the UK was part of a "single European market".

He also sought to explain his pledge of "British jobs for British workers", insisting in a BBC interview he had only meant that people would be given the skills to compete against other nationalities.

Officials from government departments, unions, employers and the mediation service Acas have been in frantic discussions following a series of wildcat strikes that erupted across the country on Friday.

The protests were prompted by a decision to bring in hundreds of Italian and Portuguese contractors to work on a new £200m plant at the giant Lindsey Oil Refinery at North Killingholme, Lincolnshire. Unions claim Britons were not given any opportunity to apply for the posts.

Earlier, Business Secretary Lord Mandelson promised that the Government would "make sure that both domestic UK law and European rules are being applied properly and fairly".

"But it would be a huge mistake to retreat from a policy where within the rules, UK companies can operate in Europe and European companies can operate here," he added.

"Protectionism would be a sure-fire way of turning recession into depression."
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK finally fights back over foreign labour

as they are from EU countries there is absolutely bugger all the Government can do about it.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 6:37 am
100% British Beef

Bison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond reputeBison has a reputation beyond repute

as they are from EU countries there is absolutely bugger all the Government can do about it.
I know, but it's not on and that's why the UK is in the poo, pulling out of Europe might give the government more power to do something, but would be even more damaging in the long run.

I feel sorry for all them British guys who would do the shitty jobs and can't get them.

My mum just told me that two of her friends who were architects on around 100k a year have lost their jobs, but like true British men they have been lucky enough to get jobs on a building site for 10 quid and hour.

At least they are doing something and I for one would do any job rather than no job, so to all you lot who think the British are lazy and won't do shitty jobs then I think you are out of touch with this harsh reality that we are facing.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:02 am
W10

Again....posted with no sense of irony.

Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Sky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud ofSky Blue has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Bison
I know, but it's not on and that's why the UK is in the poo, pulling out of Europe might give the government more power to do something, but would be even more damaging in the long run.

I feel sorry for all them British guys who would do the shitty jobs and can't get them.

My mum just told me that two of her friends who were architects on around 100k a year have lost their jobs, but like true British men they have been lucky enough to get jobs on a building site for 10 quid and hour.

At least they are doing something and I for one would do any job rather than no job, so to all you lot who think the British are lazy and won't do shitty jobs then I think you are out of touch with this harsh reality that we are facing.
Unfortunately Bison, this has come about because of landmark cases last year in Europe the Viking and Laval cases, which basically mean that it is perfectly acceptable for multi national (global) companies to tear up their local industrial agreements (Pay and Condirions of Work) and instigate local agreements, if they have them in other countries.

These people that you are talking about are skilled British labour, the people being brought in are more flexible and expendible than local labour. The local labour are victims and so are the foreign labour, they will be expendible down the line too, as their rights will be rubbish.

The real villains of the piece are the big companies who see this as a way of cutting a few jobs and having as much flexibility as possible, in what is a very inappropriate time if you ask me... The government in Europe and Britain should step in, unlike they did with the banks, unfortunately regulation is needed as we see time and again...

Lets not get all xenophobic about it and start taking easy targets...

Use your brain, its easy if you try... Honest...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:38 am
100% British Beef

These people that you are talking about are skilled British labour, the people being brought in are more flexible and expendible than local labour. The local labour are victims and so are the foreign labour, they will be expendible down the line too, as their rights will be rubbish.
I see your point, but in the meantime, the foreigners are earning and the Brits are out of work, it's not right.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 7:48 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

I see your point, but in the meantime, the foreigners are earning and the Brits are out of work, it's not right.
the UK has brought all these workers over to do the jobs, they do great jobs by all accounts, hard working etc, especially the polish, then the recession comes and the companies keep their best workers, more than likely the harder working ones and some will be foreign, its all business Bison - you can't have it both ways, you can't just say 'oh you're foreign you'd better leave'.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:10 am
100% British Beef

the UK has brought all these workers over to do the jobs, they do great jobs by all accounts, hard working etc, especially the polish, then the recession comes and the companies keep their best workers, more than likely the harder working ones and some will be foreign, its all business Bison - you can't have it both ways, you can't just say 'oh you're foreign you'd better leave'.
But isn't that what is happening here?
Old Feb 1st 2009, 8:28 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

if the workers are from EU countries, they are not 'foreigners'...
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:00 am
100% British Beef

if the workers are from EU countries, they are not 'foreigners'...
How do you figure that?

Of course they are foreigners!!

Definition: a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:03 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

How do you figure that?

Of course they are foreigners!!

Definition: a person who comes from a foreign country; someone who does not owe allegiance to your country.
..because, as an example, with my EU passport I can go and have the right to live and work in Greece, while the Greek Government doesn't allow 'foreigners' (i.e., non-EU citizens) to work in the country without special visas.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

admon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond reputeadmon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by W10
Again....posted with no sense of irony.
irony.. that must be like tinny.. only made of iron..
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:09 am
W10

Originally Posted by MacScot
..because, as an example, with my EU passport I can go and have the right to live and work in Greece, while the Greek Government doesn't allow 'foreigners' (i.e., non-EU citizens) to work in the country without special visas.
Yep, the problem is that by and large. Brits are not able to or qualified to work in Europe. Unless everyone in the company speaks English...

Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:30 am
why ayeeeee man!

Spugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond reputeSpugsy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MacScot
come on now, they'd call us foreigners.
Old Feb 1st 2009, 9:35 am
A bubbly-jock...

Originally Posted by Spugsy
come on now, they'd call us foreigners.
..what, like Scots call Geordies 'foreigners'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.