Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK driving licences in Qatar - changes from 2017

UK driving licences in Qatar - changes from 2017

Old Jan 19th 2017, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

tintriangle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK driving licences in Qatar - changes from 2017

I've just received this from the Embassy web site: clucking bell - why?

Dear British Community,

We have recently been made aware of changes to the requirements for expatriates seeking to obtain a local Qatari driving licence.

Previously, holders of a valid full UK driving licence were able to convert to a valid Qatari driving licence without any additional tests.

From the beginning of 2017, UK licence holders are required to:

At present, this change does not affect the renewal of existing licences.

Visitors holding valid full UK licences may still drive for up to 7 days from arrival, or up to 6 months from arrival if held in conjunction with a valid International Driving Licence.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK driving licences in Qatar - changes from 2017

Yeah. Bit late for me

But already decided I'm not faffing around taking these lessons just to drive in Doha. Taxi to/from work cost 40 QAR a day and that's much cheaper than owning or renting a car. Unlike a year ago there's a glut of taxis, private car hires, uber and careem on the streets so I never have to wait more than a few minutes. If I had a car what would I do with it except wait forever in petrol queues or drive to the malls?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

I sympathise. I've been here for over three years and picked up two decent vehicles v.cheaply because they were not 'in vogue'. Given the Exodous of ex-pats from here there's some cheap stuff around at the moment - if you have a licence.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

If the glut of taxis and private car services hunting for passengers is anything to go by, that exodus must have been massive!

Also noticed rental prices are dropping nicely Do you think it'll ever get down to 6k for a 1-bed on the Pearl?

Originally Posted by tintriangle View Post
I sympathise. I've been here for over three years and picked up two decent vehicles v.cheaply because they were not 'in vogue'. Given the Exodous of ex-pats from here there's some cheap stuff around at the moment - if you have a licence.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

Do you think it'll ever get down to 6k for a 1-bed on the Pearl?

Maybe! But then there's 'The Pearl' and there's 'The Pearl': Places on the left hand side as you enter are cheaper than the main areas.
Qatar is dying as a 1st world ex-pat work place. It hacks me off to have to suffer noise and disruption from the pointless construction of more and more shell and core flats and yet another shopping experience when we all know the only people who could possibly want to live in such flats or shop in yet more-of-the-same malls are ex-pats who are here to build the shell and core flats and yet another shopping experience........................................ ......
I suppose they may be partially occupied/in use for a week or two in 2022?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 12:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

did a Qatari Royal get a parking ticket in London?
Old Jan 25th 2017, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Ali84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
did a Qatari Royal get a parking ticket in London?
lol time to ban them flying their cars to London for the summer, that will really hit them where it hurts
Old Jun 13th 2017, 8:03 pm
Just Joined

kcassapi is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Me and my daughter are moving to Qatar with my job this year. If I get an International Driving License before we come will that be ok for 6 months?

Thanks Katy
Old Jun 14th 2017, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kcassapi View Post
Hello

Me and my daughter are moving to Qatar with my job this year. If I get an International Driving License before we come will that be ok for 6 months?

Thanks Katy
believe that its the same as here in the UAE. Once your residence permit is under process you cannot use your foreign licence.