Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UK credit card not being renewed

UK credit card not being renewed

Old Dec 15th 2009, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all
Default UK credit card not being renewed

Hi

The company who I hire a car from here asked me to present a new card for this months renewal as my end date is 12/09. Rang UK bank who I have the Mastercard with and they said they credit score all renewals, but as I'm now offshore they can't credit score me so I wont be getting a new card.

Dont really care about not having a credit card. I use it very little.., only for the car hire and there's only a small amount owing on it.

It does present me with a small problem though. Is there an easy a quick way I can get a credit card here with little fuss. I only need it for the car hire.

Back in August I spoke to Emirates Bank briefly about credit cards, and they offered me a card with 10000Dhs limit if I gave them a cheque from my local account for 10000Dhs. Hmmm!

I guess the other question I could ask is are there any firms who hire cars accepting debit card or even cheques as payment?

TM - LB
Old Dec 15th 2009, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK credit card not being renewed

Originally Posted by Timmy Molloy - London Boy
Hi

The company who I hire a car from here asked me to present a new card for this months renewal as my end date is 12/09. Rang UK bank who I have the Mastercard with and they said they credit score all renewals, but as I'm now offshore they can't credit score me so I wont be getting a new card.

Dont really care about not having a credit card. I use it very little.., only for the car hire and there's only a small amount owing on it.

It does present me with a small problem though. Is there an easy a quick way I can get a credit card here with little fuss. I only need it for the car hire.

Back in August I spoke to Emirates Bank briefly about credit cards, and they offered me a card with 10000Dhs limit if I gave them a cheque from my local account for 10000Dhs. Hmmm!

I guess the other question I could ask is are there any firms who hire cars accepting debit card or even cheques as payment?

TM - LB
a debit card will suffice,as long as its got the visa/mastercard operating system attached.
the only difference being the money is debited direct from your current account instead of a credit account.
they won't know the difference if its credit or debit as the is taken through the same operating system.
Old Dec 15th 2009, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Timmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to allTimmy Molloy - London Boy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by co durham boy
a debit card will suffice,as long as its got the visa/mastercard operating system attached.
the only difference being the money is debited direct from your current account instead of a credit account.
they won't know the difference if its credit or debit as the is taken through the same operating system.

get away! are you being serious?

I'm not 100% convinced cos I thought the point of the credit card is they can pre-authorise future rentals, or know that your balance is enough to cover excess payment arising from accident damage - but I might try and give it a go
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:27 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

There's no real difference between a debit and credit card from the merchant's point of view. They are both guaranteed by the card schemes, and the only way they can be guaranteed funds is by authorising and then settling the authorisation on your card. If they only authorise (and don't settle) they have no guarantee of getting that money as the authorisation expires after a while (max 14 days I think, but usually a lot quicker) .

I've used my visa debit card (which clearly says debit in large letters on the front) as security for my car rentals in the past...

Alternatively you could get a prepaid credit card. There must be someone in Dubai/AD who offer them by now. They even have them in Saudi...
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by norsk
you could get a prepaid credit card....
is what I would suggest - NBAD do them
Old Dec 15th 2009, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips. I just read up on NBAD online and yes, this could be the answer.

Seems incredible that you could obtain a card that doesnt need a check, and having a bank account isnt a pre-requisite.., then you can go out and hire one of them Maseratis which I like and cost over £100k
Old Dec 15th 2009, 8:41 pm