British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   For UK citizens - please look at what they are doing to NHS junior doctors & sign (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/uk-citizens-please-look-what-they-doing-nhs-junior-doctors-sign-865501/)

Flyingdragon Sep 21st 2015 11:01 am

For UK citizens - please look at what they are doing to NHS junior doctors & sign

Hello there,

I would really appreciate it if you would consider signing this petition if you or your family have ever used the NHS, value its ideals, or envisage using it in the future.

Basically, the UK government wants to cut junior doctors' salaries by approximately 30% - this is a unilateral decision as they are unwilling to reach any compromise with the various medical unions.

'Junior' doctors, by the way, are any doctors who are not consultants, but by calling them 'junior' it means that it can get the public on its side with various derogatory attacks. As we all know, 'junior' anything are not really any good, so don't deserve a decent salary (or so the newspapers tell us!). However, these doctors, who used to be called House Officer, Senior House Officer, Registrar, Senior Registrar, Speciality Registrar, are lumped together by the UK government, and by uninformed public opinion, as apprentices who know very little, but are all earning at least 100k a year!

Both my kids are doctors:

- my daughter is in her 8th year and is a Senior Registrar in Anaesthetics and ICU - she's the one who comes running when your father or husband has had a massive heart attack and tries to bring them back to life. She's the one on night shift who is the most senior doctor in the whole hospital, so is responsible for everything, while at the same time is in theatre as the only anaesthetist on duty. She's the one who comes home at 4am when she should have finished at 10pm, because could she just walk out and let someone die if she could try to stop it? She doesn't get paid for all these extra hours, because the NHS says that she has 'chosen' to donate her time. Her basic salary after 8 years and with all this responsibility is around 33k. She worked out once that if she divides her monthly salary by the number of hours she does she is earning less than the hourly living wage, much pushed by the government for low-paid workers.

- my son is in his 9th year and is a Senior Registrar in Emergency Medicine at the biggest trauma centre in the UK - they don't get the broken legs and bad coughs; they get the hugely awful emergency cases, where the likelihood is that the patient will die. The fact that many of them don't is due to people like my son (who is quite often attacked by the distraught relatives!) - all these ‘junior doctors’ who are the workhorses of the NHS.

Just for your information, this table shows the starting salaries of various graduates; look where the doctors come - and then they want to take 30% off that.
https://www.facebook.com/32939567043...type=1&theater

If the government rams this through then the NHS is on its way out. At present it runs on the goodwill of the Junior doctors and the other professions in the hospitals, but this goodwill is fast running out and our young British doctors will start voting with their feet and go to countries where their professionalism and hard-won knowledge is valued more, such as Australia, New Zealand, Canada.

I just signed the petition asking the various medical Colleges to take action on this, and hope you could help by adding your name. If you agree with it, please pass it on to other UK friends who may be interested in what is happening.

You can read more and sign the petition here:

https://www.change.org/p/royal-colle...ail_responsive

Many thanks for reading, and hopefully for signing :fingerscrossed:

alfrombarking Sep 21st 2015 11:07 am

Re: For UK citizens - please look at what they are doing to NHS junior doctors & sign

We gave the mandate to the tories

I dont understand what we really expected

Millhouse Sep 21st 2015 11:22 am

Re: For UK citizens - please look at what they are doing to NHS junior doctors & sign

ah, I remember that investment banking salary. Happy days for a 22 year old.

scrubbedexpat141 Sep 21st 2015 11:38 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11754024)
ah, I remember that investment banking salary. Happy days for a 22 year old.

In fairness, I earned more than that for surfing Linkedin.

It's a petition worth signing, although i'm sure Firemen/women, Policemen/women etc could all claim a comparatively strenuous and life-saving / important job.

Got a few school mates who are now Doctors and seeing lots of this stuff on facebook but separating truth from usual made up stuff is quite tough.

Bahtatboy Sep 22nd 2015 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 11754040)

Got a few school mates who are now Doctors and seeing lots of this stuff on facebook but separating truth from usual made up stuff is quite tough.

It's pretty-much true from what Bahtatsprog#1 says. She's now in Oz--not for the reasons cited by the OP--but she's confirmed some of the madness. £30k or thereabouts for taking decisions that can determine whether someone lives or dies--sometimes several times a shift--isn't right. I'm old and gnarled and like to think I'm robust enough to deal with commercial shit when it happens, but that's insignificant compared to what doctors and nurses have to put up with.

Sign the petition.

soukie Sep 22nd 2015 4:18 pm

Signed ..........

Flyingdragon Sep 22nd 2015 6:58 pm

Many thanks for signing :thumbup:

nonthaburi Sep 28th 2015 6:48 pm

Puts the tube drivers wanting to strike into perspective....

mikelincs Sep 28th 2015 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by soukie (Post 11755179)
Signed ..........

+1

scot47 Sep 29th 2015 5:24 pm

We do things differently in Scotland.http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...-a6669411.html