UK Budget

Old Mar 28th 2011, 8:56 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Budget

Originally Posted by typical
Do you disagree with what I'm saying about the wide grey area being to HMRC's advantage in many ways? And that having a clearly defined statutory basis for residency will make gaming the rules easier? (Something it seems to me that Gaines-Cooper tried and failed to do.) That again is my political judgment, would be interesting to hear your take.
Case law is usually far less specific and open to manouvre than statutes (the well-written ones). I would expect that the statute will be worded tightly and specifically, and will be complemented by revised HRMC guidelines. If you know who you want to target, it ain't that difficult to write something which will capture 95% of those you want--and for the rest, the courts are still available.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 12:44 pm

Norm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond reputeNorm_uk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmiratesMillhouse
I think that expats are more likely than not to be caught by the new rules. UK is skint - they need to raise taxes as best as possible.

They may cut headline taxes to grab the media attention, but they will just cast the net wider.
Asking someone who is not in the UK and not receiving any benefits from the UK to pay tax is immoral and caused a revolution last time they tried it I believe...

I suppose a lot depends on if we see ourselves as citizens or subjects.

N.
Old Mar 28th 2011, 2:56 pm
Not an evil hypnotist

typical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond reputetypical has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Case law is usually far less specific and open to manouvre than statutes (the well-written ones). I would expect that the statute will be worded tightly and specifically, and will be complemented by revised HRMC guidelines. If you know who you want to target, it ain't that difficult to write something which will capture 95% of those you want--and for the rest, the courts are still available.
Fair point. I wonder what the effect would be - how many people would just make that clean break?

As a side point, I hope this lot are better at wording statutes than the last lot... (see: debacle over fines for non-registration of rental deposits).
Old Mar 28th 2011, 4:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Norm_uk
Asking someone who is not in the UK and not receiving any benefits from the UK to pay tax is immoral and caused a revolution last time they tried it I believe...

I suppose a lot depends on if we see ourselves as citizens or subjects.

N.
Personally, I think there is a lot of wishful thinking going on by people who want to specific result.

It will be what it will be, no point in us debating it or worrying about it. It is not exactly in our gift to control it.

Anyway... who ever said Governments were moral?