Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UFC chief apologises for fight night flop

UFC chief apologises for fight night flop

Old Apr 12th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default UFC chief apologises for fight night flop

...... that's what happens when you take a ridiculous circus act and try to con people by calling it 'sport'............

At least the Ab Dab crowd seem to know a con when they see it.

http://business.maktoob.com/20090000...op/Article.htm
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UFC chief apologises for fight night flop

Originally Posted by The Dean
...... that's what happens when you take a ridiculous circus act and try to con people by calling it 'sport'............

So does that mean the AD crowd are more sophisticated bunch than the others?

They sure paid enough to see the show...
Old Apr 12th 2010, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I watched a bit of one of the fights last night, repeated on Showsports and I was thoroughly disappointed.

I've never watched it before and was expecting something like bare-knuckle fighting with kicking thrown in too. What I saw was two men rolling about on the floor with the occasional punch or elbow in the back.

At one point they demonstrated the full 69 position.

Having seen some of the ticket prices, I'm not surprised people were disappointed. Not sure they can blame Abu Dhabi for the rubbish fights though.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

A lot has been made out of the final fight which yes, was a joke, but to say the night was a 'flop' is taking it all completely out of context.

All in all there were many happy paying customers...and i was one of them. The whole event was great. I would however say that to charging double for an area towards the front compared to the middle was excessive. i didn't pay that though so i'm happy i got good value for money.

Besides, compare it to boxing events which are also a 'spectacle' where you will pay thousands of $ for a ticket for very much the same kind of stand up action. How much do you think people paid for the Hatton fight in Vegas? Was that also not a joke of an event given that Hatton clearly had no idea what he was doing?

You're all trapped into this automatic slagging off for anything new in this country.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

CeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of lightCeeBee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CeeBee
A lot has been made out of the final fight which yes, was a joke, but to say the night was a 'flop' is taking it all completely out of context.

All in all there were many happy paying customers...and i was one of them. The whole event was great. I would however say that to charging double for an area towards the front compared to the middle was excessive. i didn't pay that though so i'm happy i got good value for money.

Besides, compare it to boxing events which are also a 'spectacle' where you will pay thousands of $ for a ticket for very much the same kind of stand up action. How much do you think people paid for the Hatton fight in Vegas? Was that also not a joke of an event given that Hatton clearly had no idea what he was doing?

You're all trapped into this automatic slagging off for anything new in this country.
And a big hats off to the British lads that fought which provided some great entertainment. Calling this a 'flop' is an insult to these boys that put everything into their fights.
Old Apr 12th 2010, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

reeferjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Hmmm...have you guys seen UFC before?

Cheers
JOhn.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Making fun of this place is an expat habit.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 6:13 am
Just Joined

reeferjon is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah.....
Old Apr 13th 2010, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by seven seas
Making fun of this place is an expat habit.
Yeah pretty much, but often the first thing people do with anything that they attempt here is to instantly slag it off.

Interestingly, I didn't see many complaints back when the F1 tickets were announced...which i thought were obscenely priced.

Anyways, next new event is the FIA GT1 this weekend which looks cheap enough at 50 D's for general admission.
Old Apr 13th 2010, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Confucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond reputeConfucius has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely...It's just like WWF/WEF/RAW/whatever, only with real hitting and no trace of Hulk Hogan...