Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UAE threatens to cancel French Intel. Sat. contract

UAE threatens to cancel French Intel. Sat. contract

Old Jan 7th 2014, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE threatens to cancel French Intel. Sat. contract

Originally Posted by Boomhauer
NBN will surpass the older stuff when it comes online , will it not? So OleJanx may have been thinking of what is set to become the standard Telcom infrastructure.
In that regard yes, but it's a bit like bolted doors and empty stables really.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:10 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

Was AD planning on using mostly Emiratis or was it going to be expats?
I don't honestly think they'd thought that far ahead. It was a "we want it built here" followed by " ok no problem but we will need ......, to do that" followed by "ah, um, are you sure we can't just build it in massafa?"

To their credit the local lads pretty quickly took on board what was involved and didn't do the usual blustering when they realised they were well out of their depth. I get the feeling someone further up the food chain had said it should all be built here when it was first put forwards as an idea
Old Jan 7th 2014, 7:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiva
I don't honestly think they'd thought that far ahead. It was a "we want it built here" followed by " ok no problem but we will need ......, to do that" followed by "ah, um, are you sure we can't just build it in massafa?"

To their credit the local lads pretty quickly took on board what was involved and didn't do the usual blustering when they realised they were well out of their depth. I get the feeling someone further up the food chain had said it should all be built here when it was first put forwards as an idea
I assume the major difficulty with building homegrown Satellites (for purposes of safeguarding against foreign backdoors) is the eletrical , eletronics and computer engineering aspects because the optics and materials science can be sourced from outside without fear of backdoors ?

So if I am right , how many decades do you think it would take Emiratis to come up to attain the computer science and eletronics knowhow to be able to design and build their own Spy Satellite?
Old Jan 7th 2014, 8:09 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

I assume the major difficulty with building homegrown Satellites (for purposes of safeguarding against foreign backdoors) is the eletrical , eletronics and computer engineering aspects because the optics and materials science can be sourced from outside without fear of backdoors ?

So if I am right , how many decades do you think it would take Emiratis to come up to attain the computer science and eletronics knowhow to be able to design and build their own Spy Satellite?
Never unless there is a major change to the educational and political systems.

Whilst there are undoubtably bright students locally who are innovative and many who go overseas and certainly have the skills, the vast majority are not encouraged to be innovative.

A knowledge economy goes hand in hand with a way of thinking that is positively discouraged in this part of the world, freewheeling freethinking risk takers are not exactly what is wanted in a populace here.

There will be the skills already to reverse engineer systems and maybe even develop new ones but there is nowhere for people to do so.

There is a lot of talk locally about stuff that's designed and built locally but when you scratch the surface it usually isn't the case at all.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'd like to see a clean room here.
Old Jan 7th 2014, 9:31 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
My living room very clean Yanni, every day maid is mopping!
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:27 am
**** it we'll do it live

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Perfectly possible if you throw money at it and more importantly could educate the users regarding the idea behind it, actually on second thoughts that last bit would never happen
Old Jan 7th 2014, 11:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure you want to categorically state that it's horse manure?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...ms_huawei_ban/
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OleJanx
Are you sure you want to categorically state that it's horse manure?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/11...ms_huawei_ban/

Your statement was that Australia doesn't let H anywhere near their telco infrastructure. That is patently false because the equipment is already there. Either you don't know what the NBN is and how it interacts with existing MDSS infrastructure, or you are just being obtuse.

And considering I personally negotiated some of the contracts to put H's equipment into that infrastructure , yes, I can categorically state that you're assumption that they don't have any equipment in Oz' telco equipment, is a big steaming pile horse manure that wouldn't even be good for the roses.

A statement that Oz has changed it's stance on letting H near it's NBN set in the future would be accurate.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
Your statement was that Australia doesn't let H anywhere near their telco infrastructure. That is patently false because the equipment is already there. Either you don't know what the NBN is and how it interacts with existing MDSS infrastructure, or you are just being obtuse.

And considering I personally negotiated some of the contracts to put H's equipment into that infrastructure , yes, I can categorically state that you're assumption that they don't have any equipment in Oz' telco equipment, is a big steaming pile horse manure that wouldn't even be good for the roses.

A statement that Oz has changed it's stance on letting H near it's NBN set in the future would be accurate.
OK, that seems fair enough. Truce?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by OleJanx
OK, that seems fair enough. Truce?
haha yeah, no worries

Personally I'd be more about the whole NBN set up and the constant change of federal Govs in Oz that either love it or hate it. The tax payer just want a good connection and it's getting batted around like a tennis ball. The public deserve better

When I moved to the UK a couple of years ago I was offered an interview at H but it wasn't a brand I wanted on my CV, and still isn't.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Jan 8th 2014 at 4:35 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
haha yeah, no worries

Personally I'd be more about the whole NBN set up and the constant change of federal Govs in Oz that either love it or hate it. The tax payer just want a good connection and it's getting batted around like a tennis ball. The public deserve better

When I moved to the UK a couple of years ago I was offered an interview at H but it wasn't a brand I wanted on my CV, and still isn't.
So why did Aus go with Huawei earlier? They must have know about the security risk because they certainly aren't little kids to be naieve.

And in a similar vein why did British Telecom go with Huawei instead of Marconi. I know the standard explanation is cost but I don't buy that because of a) security risk b) Marconi costs more but is better tech and employs Brits so in the grand scheme of things Marconi would be cheaper .
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

So why did Aus go with Huawei earlier? They must have know about the security risk because they certainly aren't little kids to be naieve.

And in a similar vein why did British Telecom go with Huawei instead of Marconi. I know the standard explanation is cost but I don't buy that because of a) security risk b) Marconi costs more but is better tech and employs Brits so in the grand scheme of things Marconi would be cheaper .
I don't really know why BT did, as when I came to the UK I was working for a rival network supplier to H. I do know they 'bought' a lot of business and in that regard I was sensing a lot of the excitement in the industry about getting things so cheaply, and that was attractive given the state of the UK's economy back then (bit better now).

When I changed jobs in Oz and moved from a hypermegaglobalsotwareweownyou conglomerate to a giant overlordgiveusyourfirstborn telco company in 2006, there was much of same excitement in Oz. I have to speak in generic terms (for obvious reasons) but there was a sense of one or two suppliers holding the market by the short and curlies and the added competition (and price) was welcome. Issues came when you had a mix of equipment in the same cluster and getting access to technically train staff to work on the stuff as the 'brick walls' went up very quickly.

Culturally Oz is tied to China probably moreso than the UK and walks a finer line in other areas (commodities etc), but they always kept a mix that could in theory (albeit expensive) be completely reversed. The UK seems to have somewhat sold the family silver to the lowest bidder.

I'm glad to be out of it all at the moment and back to the non network and IT side of things.

We are moving back to Oz mid year, so I'm sure I'll be sucked back into the vortex