Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UAE expat pension scheme

Wikiposts

UAE expat pension scheme

Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:28 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default UAE expat pension scheme

I don't know if many of you are aware that the government is currently in discussion to launch a scheme for foreign expats. It is apparently to be launched by the end of the year, across all emirates.

At the moment there are no real details available so we don't know about compulsion, contribution levels (employer payments?), charges, who will actually manage it or the underlying investment.

I suspect that most 'Western' expats won't be keen on the idea, but I am commenting on the proposed introduction for some regional publications and wondered what the bored (sic) members thought of such a suggestion.

Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE expat pension scheme

Originally Posted by Meow
I don't know if many of you are aware that the government is currently in discussion to launch a scheme for foreign expats. It is apparently to be launched by the end of the year, across all emirates.

At the moment there are no real details available so we don't know about compulsion, contribution levels (employer payments?), charges, who will actually manage it or the underlying investment.

I suspect that most 'Western' expats won't be keen on the idea, but I am commenting on the proposed introduction for some regional publications and wondered what the bored (sic) members thought of such a suggestion.

Thanks
I think it will put all the financial advisors out of business.

I wonder if it will be managed by the Abu Dhabi Retirement and Benefits Fund? They manage it for the locals - on a mixture of self, company and government contributions.

No doubt this will become a tax on expats - but if they used it properly they could actually create a proper capital market which would be a good thing for the UAE. The reality is they will 'invest' the money in space travel or something equally crazy.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:45 pm
N/A

Dumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond reputeDumbo has a reputation beyond repute

How will this affect gratuity Meow? Will it become redundant? Thanks.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:51 pm
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbo
How will this affect gratuity Meow? Will it become redundant? Thanks.
No idea, but I suspect not. There is so little detail that there is not much to say. I'm just curious to know if BE'rs would be keen on such a scheme or if they'd prefer to make their own arrangements.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:56 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
I think it will put all the financial advisors out of business.

I wonder if it will be managed by the Abu Dhabi Retirement and Benefits Fund? They manage it for the locals - on a mixture of self, company and government contributions.

No doubt this will become a tax on expats - but if they used it properly they could actually create a proper capital market which would be a good thing for the UAE. The reality is they will 'invest' the money in space travel or something equally crazy.
It's not just about flogging magic beans, you know...

Would you want to join such a scheme? I suspect that few higher earning expats would trust their money to a government run plan.
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Don't worry guys... this will never happen.

The whole thing doesn't really make sense... I mean, the average expat is here for a limited amount of time (say 5 years) - western expats probably less. They are generally here between the age of 25-50.

What would be the retirement age? If say, 55, then the average expat has to wait somewhere between 5-25 years to collect their UAE pension. In the meantime they are not funding it - any value will be eroded by charges, non contributions etc.

So, early redemptions, how will these work? Simple answer is just like any other long term plan - They won't.

How would you collect your UAE pension from abroad?

Would you be expected to keep funding it after you have left ?!

The whole point of pensions is tax efficiency. This makes no sense in the UAE.

Will there be a link between the contribution and the retirement payment - or like the UK where there is no link?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 10:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Meow

Would you want to join such a scheme? I suspect that few higher earning expats would trust their money to a government run plan.
Thankfully, I will be exempt from any crazy scheme they dream up. But no, I would not want to be a part of it.

There are so many open questions regarding exiting such a scheme here that I'd rather buy some of your beans
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:05 pm
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by Millhouse
Don't worry guys... this will never happen.

The whole thing doesn't really make sense... I mean, the average expat is here for a limited amount of time (say 5 years) - western expats probably less. They are generally here between the age of 25-50.

What would be the retirement age? If say, 55, then the average expat has to wait somewhere between 5-25 years to collect their UAE pension. In the meantime they are not funding it - any value will be eroded by charges, non contributions etc.

So, early redemptions, how will these work? Simple answer is just like any other long term plan - They won't.

How would you collect your UAE pension from abroad?

Would you be expected to keep funding it after you have left ?!

The whole point of pensions is tax efficiency. This makes no sense in the UAE.

Will there be a link between the contribution and the retirement payment - or like the UK where there is no link?
Well many of my comments are simply that I can't answer the question as there is no info.

The UAE is not set up for people to remain her for most of their working lives and people will want guaranteed (for whatever they are worth) and access before investing (if they have any sense).

Such arrangements are far more complicated that many think they are. I spent some time in The Treasury shortly before the introductions of Stakeholder pension and certain people refused to believe me when I told them that people wouldn't be rushing to sign up. In fact I had several very heated discussions with a certain adviser, now major opposition MP...

Something similar was mooted in 2008 and that didn't happen...
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in...10p a week OK?
Old Apr 22nd 2012, 11:45 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Why would anyone pay into a pension scheme in a country where they are not a citizen?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

April Fool's Day

remember?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:03 am
Bored liberal

Originally Posted by seven seas
April Fool's Day

remember?

In that case it's April Fool's Day 300 days a year in Dubai...
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:06 am
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

rents going down soon

livable communities

no violent crime

more stuff to do than just brunches

property owners' rights

yeah, maybe 333 days a year.