Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:17 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UAE driving licence - valid for use in USA?

Originally Posted by busybee2
yes you may give your uk address but its not valid... so you are telling someone to do something illegal, you know what insurance companies are like if you had an accident and they found out you could be in trouble, when your uae licence will do just fine. we have hired in many states over the years with no problem with the uae one.
For the 3rd time..............I was NOT ALLOWED to use a Middle East driving licences as a Brit in Vegas. And do you really think if you have given them a UK address and Licence they would happen to check if you hold a licence in the UAE?? Your mad.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
For the 3rd time..............I was NOT ALLOWED to use a Middle East driving licences as a Brit in Vegas. And do you really think if you have given them a UK address and Licence they would happen to check if you hold a licence in the UAE?? Your mad.
why is vegas any different from any other state in the usa????? so they are discriminating against every middle eastern country???? does it say that when you book your car online in vegas only, dont think so.

anyways its not valid if you are not resident, so you should always use the uae one....! you know when i was in vegas last year, i think i did see people that maybe came from middle eastern countries... but whatever.

i am not mad, just stating facts..... its not the car hire agency that are at all bothered, its if you get stopped by the police, and they look into the licence...!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:25 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

why is vegas any different from any other state in the usa????? so they are discriminating against every middle eastern country???? does it say that when you book your car online in vegas only, dont think so.

anyways its not valid if you are not resident, so you should always use the uae one....! you know when i was in vegas last year, i think i did see people that maybe came from middle eastern countries... but whatever.

i am not mad, just stating facts..... its not the car hire agency that are at all bothered, its if you get stopped by the police, and they look into the licence...!
You are not mad, just stupid. I was there 2 months ago, that makes my point valid. So the police stop you, you show a UK licence then they check the rest of the world just in case you have another one? Get real.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

busybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond reputebusybee2 has a reputation beyond repute

You are not mad, just stupid. I was there 2 months ago, that makes my point valid. So the police stop you, you show a UK licence then they check the rest of the world just in case you have another one? Get real.
still illegal....!!! whatever i dont care what you do, but you should point out to the others that it is, and let them make up their own mind...!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:40 pm
Shark Fisherman

still illegal....!!! whatever i dont care what you do, but you should point out to the others that it is, and let them make up their own mind...!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 7:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

A UK licence is not valid if you are not resident?? I challenge you to quote the chapter-and-verse of that piece of nonsense.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:03 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
A UK licence is not valid if you are not resident?? I challenge you to quote the chapter-and-verse of that piece of nonsense.
Have you ever misplaced your UK licence or has the plastic card ever expired?
There is a great online service Direct Govt which takes you to DVLA website who will arrange to have a replacement for @ 20 pounds issued,you don 't even have to send a new photo- why because the presumption is you will have a UK Passport and they will just get an image from that.Simples....
All this is available on line except:
1. If you have been disqualified from driving recently
OR
2. You have changed your address since last issue

Note,not moved abroad ,merely changed your address.

If your address has changed then you cannot use the online service,your
option is to submit the old green forms and sign the declaration at bottom of
page that you have given all correct details.This snail mail gives them the
chance to check voters roll etc for new address.
Why is this do you think?

Clue? Money.
Post code premiums
If you have moved to a different area in Uk then perhaps your insurance will be
more.

If you move abroad? Become an expat.

Say you are home in UK for a bit and driving on your UK licence- an expensive hire car and you write it off,hop on the plane to UAE ne'r to return to blighty.
A civil action to recover costs would be prohibitive.
Worst scenario, you kill someone or paralyse someone ,there will be a criminal case plus a civil claim for compensation yes?
You are done bang to rights because the insurance company will invalidate cover as the address on the licence is not your permanent address-therefore falsifying information.Remember, you probably informed HMRC that you are non resident..so that you can save tax- excellent corroboration for Insurance company.The insurance company will not pay out so some poor bastard's life is
ruined or ended but the criminal charges still have to be answered,maybe they issue a warrant and maybe the next time you land on Uk soil they detain you for court.Once there and particularly if you are still domiciled in the UK,then the Insurance company could start proceedings.Next of kin of deceased or injured
parties could also seek compensation.

What do you think?
Easier just to get an IDL? I would cos I don t want the taxman on my case for a start.
I can't be arsed to research the chapter and verse Road Traffic Driving Licence regulations but here is another wee link which inclines me towards the easy option of getting a two bit IDL

https://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Do you see the line about not being able to enter your new address if abroad on your UK licence?

Finally,it's not that your licence is invalid,it still permits you to,drive in Uk so long as you fulfill the criteria of holding same.
It is in all likelihood that your insurance is invalid because of your residence position which means you are liable to be charged with driving without insurance
That's about no 5 on the list of henious offences against the UK Road Traffic Law after causing death by driving,wreckless and dangerous driving ,driving while disqualified,driving while under the influence,driving without a valid licence....
Pretty serious with serious fines& consequences.

All this said,at the end of the day,it's really only about money...

Last edited by Eva; Mar 29th 2013 at 9:09 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:12 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said, if the license isn't in English, you get a IDP.

The issue of a non-valid license only becomes an issue when you get involved in an accident and the insurance company looks for a way out of a multimillion dollar claim.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:19 pm
Shark Fisherman

Originally Posted by Bob
Like I said, if the license isn't in English, you get a IDP.

The issue of a non-valid license only becomes an issue when you get involved in an accident and the insurance company looks for a way out of a multimillion dollar claim.
Is the correct answer.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 9:23 pm
Eva
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Eva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond reputeEva has a reputation beyond repute

Is the correct answer.
May the throw of the dice go your way always....
Old Mar 30th 2013, 5:06 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

I would use my UAE one in the UK anyway, as that way they are unlikely to chase you to add on any points should you ping a speed camera.

Don't really get all the chat that my UK licence is now invalid due to me now being a non res. If this was the case / or if it was acted upon, I'm sure as expats we would have heard about this. Many thousands of expats go home for a visits and drive (and maybe crash) every year. Sounds like one of those grey areas that never get acted upon due to the fact that its stupid. You've done the test to prove you can drive to the standard required, you haven't done anything to have your licence rescinded and so in the event of an issue I doubt that it would be acted upon.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Maxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond reputeMaxima has a reputation beyond repute

I have used my UAE DL to rent cars in a dozen American cities and was never asked for an IDP; but i was not asked to show it to any policeman or "highway trooper" so dont know how that would have turned out
Old Mar 30th 2013, 7:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
I would use my UAE one in the UK anyway, as that way they are unlikely to chase you to add on any points should you ping a camera
True, happened to me, Cumbria police couldn't be arsed
Old Mar 30th 2013, 2:50 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack

Don't really get all the chat that my UK licence is now invalid due to me now being a non res. If this was the case / or if it was acted upon, I'm sure as expats we would have heard about this. Many thousands of expats go home for a visits and drive (and maybe crash) every year. Sounds like one of those grey areas that never get acted upon due to the fact that its stupid. You've done the test to prove you can drive to the standard required, you haven't done anything to have your licence rescinded and so in the event of an issue I doubt that it would be acted upon.
The license needs to have current address, you can't put your current address down if it is outside the UK, so the license isn't valid. As soon as you move back, you inform the DVLA and get another license issued.

In the UK, you're unlikely to get sued for millions, so it's less likely to be a issue. It is a real possibility in the US though and insurance companies will more likely follow it up and it would be easy to do as you'd have a visa for the UAE in your passport and you've got to have your passport on you at all times and that'll mean your UK license isn't valid so without a IDP to translate your UAE license if it isn't in English, you're borked on a claim.
Old Mar 30th 2013, 4:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ditzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud ofDitzy has much to be proud of

You can get your Intl Driving License from upstairs in DNATA. Think it's about 200 AED and lasts a year. You'll need photos/passport & DL. The people at the desk don't start work until 9am I think (For there and also Egate) (unusually as most govt entities start at 7.30-8).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.