Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:36 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Originally Posted by UKCityGent
This is old news. Guardsman Jatenderpal Singh Bhullar is part of a long line of Skikhs protecting the Queen. Simranjit "Sim" Singh & Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh were part of the Queen's Guard in 2009 - neither of whom wore the bearskin.
Which further fuels my suspicion that the 'king Fail timed it deliberately. Insidious, racist, underhand ****s.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Which further fuels my suspicion that the 'king Fail timed it deliberately. Insidious, racist, underhand ****s.
The other two chaps aren't from the same regiment.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
The other two chaps aren't from the same regiment.
True - but still when on parade the dress code would have to be the same i.e. red coat and bearskin
Old Dec 12th 2012, 12:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

True - but still when on parade the dress code would have to be the same i.e. red coat and bearskin
If you say so, I don't know mate. The chap in the picture has been paraded (excuse the pun) as the first re; Bearskin
Old Dec 13th 2012, 6:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
Difficult one, this. Sikhs sought exemption from the law which required all motorcyclists to wear helmets, but failed--quite rightly, because they had a choice (ie don't ride a motorcycle). I really don't see a significant difference here, especially if a uniform hat would fit over his turban: if he wanted to be a surgeon would he expect exemption from wearing sterile headgear? And then there's the issue of where you draw the line: once you actually decide to draw one (other than at zero level), then it will inevitably move. If he was Jewish could he expect to be exempt from duty after sunset on Friday?

Two other comments:

I didn't post the pictue to imply he's a fart, only that it looks like he's letting one loose.

Yesterday the Fail had a gloat-fest about immigration figures, with the majority of new immigrants coming from India. Today we have a Beefeater (or whatever) of Indian origin. Coincidence?
Sikhs in the UK don't have to wear a helmet due to the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976

I regularly play sports against Sikhs and they don't find it necessary to wear a turban for that.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Cypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to beholdCypselos is a splendid one to behold

Nope. In the UK it's only the five regiments of the Guards Division who have the Bearskin/ Redcoat Uniform. These units usually form the guard but any other Commonwealth Regiments can on occasion do it. The two Sikhs who served in 2009 were from the Army Air Corps Regiment and one of the Signals regiment. They'd have been wearing peaked caps normally - the pictures of them are in number 1 dress with a turban instead.

Even the Telegraph doesn't appear to have a problem with this this time around, a circumstance that means I can't imagine why anyone else would.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 9:38 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Inselaffen
Sikhs in the UK don't have to wear a helmet due to the Motor-Cycle Crash Helmets (Religious Exemption) Act 1976

I regularly play sports against Sikhs and they don't find it necessary to wear a turban for that.
Ah…I stand corrected. I seem to recall from the time that, at least initially, they lost their battle, but it seems they won by getting the Act in place. That Act was repealed in its entirety by the Road Traffic (Consequential Provisions) Act 1988. Simultaneously, though, the Road Traffic Act 1988 was enacted, s16 of which carries over the exemption from the 1976 Act, with s16(2) stating: A requirement [to wear a crash-helmet] imposed by regulations under this section shall not apply to any follower of the Sikh religion while he is wearing a turban.

Fair enough.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond reputeBoomhauer has a reputation beyond repute

What do you reckon about the chap not having to wear a bearskin?
Bullshit decision. Either he wears the uniform that everyone else is required to or he finds another job.

No one is forcing him to take this job. Always peeves me when people take up jobs and then demand special dispensation, using religion as an excuse.

Sikh community leaders whine and the government caves in; wheel that squeaks gets the most grease.

Would love to see a Hasidic and Rasta guard next, in their respective head err accourterment.

Last edited by Boomhauer; Dec 13th 2012 at 12:30 pm.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britexpat76
I just don't agree with breaking tradition
A traditionalist huh?
Wow, when was the last time you disagreed with a tradition?
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

seven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond reputeseven seas has a reputation beyond repute

I give up - hopefully you guys will appreciate uniforms, rules and the value of them in time.

Most people grow out of uniforms when they get to twelve or so. Some people cannot get past the "surely, you must wear a uniform" mentality.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:27 pm
Shark Fisherman

britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seven seas
A traditionalist huh?
Wow, when was the last time you disagreed with a tradition?
An Army tradition that everyone around the world knows and see's is different to the tradition of killing a goat by hand for Eid in the Middle East.

The queens guards wear a Bearskin, end of.
Old Dec 13th 2012, 3:36 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by seven seas
Most people grow out of uniforms when they get to twelve or so. Some people cannot get past the "surely, you must wear a uniform" mentality.
Yeah, but the armed forces are a bit older than 12 aren't they...
Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:22 pm