Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Two farts in today's Daily Fail

Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Two farts in today's Daily Fail

It's not one person though is it- he represents his religion. This gesture is far bigger than this one individual.

And I find it far from spineless I think it is a very brave move.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:20 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
It's not one person though is it- he represents his religion. This gesture is far bigger than this one individual.

Difficult one, this. Sikhs sought exemption from the law which required all motorcyclists to wear helmets, but failed--quite rightly, because they had a choice (ie don't ride a motorcycle). I really don't see a significant difference here, especially if a uniform hat would fit over his turban: if he wanted to be a surgeon would he expect exemption from wearing sterile headgear? And then there's the issue of where you draw the line: once you actually decide to draw one (other than at zero level), then it will inevitably move. If he was Jewish could he expect to be exempt from duty after sunset on Friday?

Two other comments:

I didn't post the pictue to imply he's a fart, only that it looks like he's letting one loose.

Yesterday the Fail had a gloat-fest about immigration figures, with the majority of new immigrants coming from India. Today we have a Beefeater (or whatever) of Indian origin. Coincidence?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:28 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Some people can't win, can they? If people of other ethinicities move the UK and don't join in then are criticised and when they do - and you can't be much more patriotic than serving in HM Forces - they are also criticised.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Mogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to allMogs is a name known to all

As far as I am aware, they only wear the bearskins when in "full dress" on special occassions like trooping the colour or standing in front of Buckingham palace.

Surely the sikh could and should respect the x hundreds of years of british tradition and wear the bear when required.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I am obviously right anyway as he's allowed to wear it

You guys can debate all day whether you agree but I have the queens support on my opinion so guess I win
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

It's not about his religion. It's a uniform.

Don't sign up to do a job if you're not happy with how you have to do it.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I give up- hopefully you guys will embrace new traditions in time
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

I give up- hopefully you guys will embrace new traditions in time

I give up - hopefully you guys will appreciate uniforms, rules and the value of them in time.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
This is the reason why I never became a traffic warden. I just couldn't cope with the yellow stripe on the hat.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Millhouse
This is the reason why I never became a traffic warden. I just couldn't cope with the yellow stripe on the hat.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
It's not about his religion. It's a uniform.

But clearly the army is happy with the way he is dressed so why is it such a problem for you, and others?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 9:57 am
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Clarkson's got off lightly so far...
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Meow
But clearly the army is happy with the way he is dressed so why is it such a problem for you, and others?
Because I have an opinion, it doesn't cause me a lack of sleep, I just don't agree with it.

If the army were ready to accept all as equal and take everyone's feelings into account then women would be on the front line.
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:39 am
Big Member

NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute

You guys can debate all day whether you agree but I have the queens support on my opinion so guess I win
You're assuming she supports this.

I completely disagree, you sign up for certain regiments and you accept the dress code. If you don't agree, sign up for another regiment.

I assume he takes it off and puts on a helmet when the shit hits the fan in Afghanistan?
Old Dec 12th 2012, 10:43 am
BE Forum Addict

UKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond reputeUKCityGent has a reputation beyond repute

This is old news. Guardsman Jatenderpal Singh Bhullar is part of a long line of Skikhs protecting the Queen. Simranjit "Sim" Singh & Lance Corporal Sarvjit Singh were part of the Queen's Guard in 2009 - neither of whom wore the bearskin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.