British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Trolling as an 'art' (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/trolling-art-774800/)

Meow Oct 16th 2012 2:05 pm

Trolling as an 'art'

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/78...makes-her-case

"Jaime Cochran is a 20-something professional living in Chicago. She works all day on a computer, but her real labour, the one she loves, is hated around the world.

Cochran is a self-identified troll. She trawls the internet day and night, looking for "victims" - emotional strangers Cochran deems ripe and right for a ripping.

When she's spied one - in a chat-room, forum or social media group - she casts out "lines with trivial bait" and reels them in, hurling insults, inciting their rage and taking great pleasure in their mounting fury.

It sounds cruel. Trolling in the eyes of many is a deeply disturbing and sinister occupation. But Cochran insists there's method to her meanness. She declares herself a performance artist, compares herself to Andy Kaufman, and describes her trolling as "more cerebral than abrasive". According to this young troll, she's out for scalps, not souls.

"First and foremost, to me, trolling is an art," Cochran begins to explain. "It's a way of evoking a reaction."

Young, employed and articulate, in many ways Cochran debunks popular stereotypes about trolls. She is no teenage boy, fuelled by foul energy drinks and hormones pushing bile into the cyberspace from the darkness of his bedroom. But she is gleeful when her trolling incites rage. She feels good when being bad.

"[Trolling] might be something as banal as insisting men who drink their coffee black aren't real men, because they can't handle the cream and sugar," she says. "
and more

She's a nasty young woman and clearly a sociopath. the film clip shows her cold, dead eyes and lack of warmth or compassion.

"If I've offended people, then they should take a long hard look at themselves, because what I do is harmless fun. If I've really offended people, it's probably because they deserved it and that's their own fault."

weasel decentral Oct 16th 2012 2:23 pm

Re: Trolling as an 'art'

Why do you keep posting these articles? they are total shit.

Meow Oct 16th 2012 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10333797)
Why do you keep posting these articles? they are total shit.

Keep posting? What on earth are you on about? Some people find such things interesting, as there is actually more to life than drinking and shagging...

And you aren't obliged to read anything on here that you don't want to. :rolleyes:

Brains1983 Oct 16th 2012 3:06 pm

I love a good troll. It let's the average internet user have a laugh at other people getting wound up.

I like our American friend, he just keeps coming back and that's some commitment. How many incarnations for him/her/it now?

mikewot Oct 16th 2012 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Brains1983 (Post 10333877)
I like our American friend, he just keeps coming back and that's some commitment. How many incarnations for him/her/it now?

Lost count but he/she/it isn't fun for the mods who have to clean up after it.

Bob Oct 16th 2012 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10333863)
Keep posting? What on earth are you on about? Some people find such things interesting, as there is actually more to life than drinking and shagging...

And you aren't obliged to read anything on here that you don't want to. :rolleyes:

Whoooooooosh :lol:

flares Oct 16th 2012 4:37 pm

Got her!

Beakersful Oct 16th 2012 5:00 pm

Actually, this popped up yesterday and read by the wrong people could be an open invitation to go out and do harm, harm to others, and harm to their future freedom/life: http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/culture...sonal-hygiene/

auzdafluff Oct 16th 2012 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by saudiflares (Post 10334056)
Got her!

Yup. :p

Hook, line, and sinker! :p

Theseus Oct 16th 2012 6:42 pm

I think the fact that the article says she is articulate is quite amusing.

Bahtatboy Oct 17th 2012 10:57 am

Some people find such things interesting, as there is actually more to life than drinking and shagging...

I do find that work keeps getting in the way.

Meow Oct 17th 2012 11:11 am

Was that supposed to be Weasel Central's attempt at trolling? Piss poor.

Bob Oct 18th 2012 12:45 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 10335330)
Was that supposed to be Weasel Central's attempt at trolling? Piss poor.

Got ya though :p

Paracletus Oct 18th 2012 4:24 am

Alot of trolling begins in a place covered by rules 1 and 2 of the internet, watching as they plot a grand troll can be utterly amusing and completely confusing to an outsider. When they come back with screendumps of results, hilarity ensues.

Paracletus Oct 18th 2012 5:26 am

Originally Posted by Summers Eve (Post 10336677)
Its really bad when you start trolling people in real life. The guy at the gas station or the check out girl at the super market..I put some black n brown hillbilly teeth in on my last flight and when the flight attendant asked me if I wanted a drink I said "well I don't mind if I do" and I could see her reel back when she saw my Billy Bob choppers...I left them in the entire flight

I never came out of character- I could see em talkin about me.

funny

Trolling irl is no new phenomenon, posting videos of it on youtube or even having youtube videos posted in response is a relatively new phenomenon though. Some gold to be found.