British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Triathlon.. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/triathlon-659458/)

commander Mar 15th 2010 12:40 pm

Triathlon..

This weekend we had the first Abu Dhabi International Triathlon. It was a great sucess and was well supported both by competitors and marshalls.

What was great to see was the diversity of abilities of people taking part, from the Pro's to the age groupers and also the 'special needs' athletes.

It is a great sport that gives you an all over workout between the 3 disciplines.

Anyone interested in taking up this sport, regardless of thier fitness levels, give me a shout and ill put you in contact with the right people.

It is without a doubt the best thing i have done since moving here.

lionheart Mar 15th 2010 12:42 pm

Re: Triathlon..

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8421019)
This weekend we had the first Abu Dhabi International Triathlon. It was a great sucess and was well supported both by competitors and marshalls.

What was great to see was the diversity of abilities of people taking part, from the Pro's to the age groupers and also the 'special needs' athletes.

It is a great sport that gives you an all over workout between the 3 disciplines.

Anyone interested in taking up this sport, regardless of thier fitness levels, give me a shout and ill put you in contact with the right people.

Thanks for the report. Meanwhile, we are still waiting for Spugsy's report on the seven-a-side footy. I know that Celtic beat AC Milan in the final but what else happened.

commander Mar 15th 2010 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8421025)
Thanks for the report. Meanwhile, we are still waiting for Spugsy's report on the seven-a-side footy. I know that Celtic beat AC Milan in the final but what else happened.

who gives a toss, answer that in the footy thread.

you fancy taking up triathlon LH, i will help you..

lionheart Mar 15th 2010 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8421030)
who gives a toss, answer that in the footy thread. you fancy taking up triathlon LH, i will help you..

I have no idea what a triathon involves, so no thanks...and I thought you were talking about another local participatory event just like Spugsy's footy.

littlejimmy Mar 15th 2010 1:56 pm

A triathlon is 3 chocolate bars melted together.

Spugsy Mar 15th 2010 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 8421025)

WEll it was well organised, I only saw a couple of games as I was playing or watching mates play, it was ROASTING as well and being a typical Englishman I have the worst sunburn, in fact the skin is peeling on my heed and is incredibly sore.

DiCanio was magic, Baresi just strolled around and Kerry Dixon was rubbish and David May looks about 50 now and all puffy.

Oh and they were selling proper bacon sarnies. Gerrin.

* END OF REPORT *

Jeeper Mar 15th 2010 4:45 pm

I did a sprint triathalon once - Jebel Ali 2006.....it was the hardest f'n thing I reckon i've ever done......mainly due the swimming part which i'm rubbish at.
It was much harder than a marathon.

Chris79 Mar 15th 2010 4:59 pm

I disagree with the organization. There was chaos trying to get into Emirates Palace early on Sat morning for the swim. The Police were arrogant and would not listen. I know of numerous competitors that were not allowed to go through. The helicopter filming the swim was way too low (tipped me out of my kayak twice) and was pushing the elite swimmers back while he pissed off out of the way once the amateurs were in the water.

I did however get a car load of Gatorade!!

I also got some great pictures of the swimmers and Emirates Palace sunrise.

commander Mar 16th 2010 4:51 am

Originally Posted by Chris79 (Post 8421633)
I disagree with the organization. There was chaos trying to get into Emirates Palace early on Sat morning for the swim. The Police were arrogant and would not listen. I know of numerous competitors that were not allowed to go through. The helicopter filming the swim was way too low (tipped me out of my kayak twice) and was pushing the elite swimmers back while he pissed off out of the way once the amateurs were in the water.

I did however get a car load of Gatorade!!

I also got some great pictures of the swimmers and Emirates Palace sunrise.

did you see me swimming past? i had a white swim cap on:D

I got into Emirates palace on saturday morning no problems...

Agreed, the helo was really funny. I had a pro staying with me and he said it wasnt pushing him back, it was pushing him under

commander Mar 16th 2010 4:53 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8421582)
I did a sprint triathalon once - Jebel Ali 2006.....it was the hardest f'n thing I reckon i've ever done......mainly due the swimming part which i'm rubbish at.
It was much harder than a marathon.

sprints are very hard...I have been more exhausted after a sprint than after an olympic distance!!

you should take it up again...:thumbup:

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 8422902)
sprints are very hard...I have been more exhausted after a sprint than after an olympic distance!!

you should take it up again...:thumbup:

It was also difficult because I don't own a bike so borrowed a chick's bike....and no - it didn't have a flowery basket on the front.

I think my hyper-active days are over. I get a stitch getting out of bed these days.

commander Mar 16th 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by Jeeper (Post 8423032)
It was also difficult because I don't own a bike so borrowed a chick's bike....and no - it didn't have a flowery basket on the front.

I think my hyper-active days are over. I get a stitch getting out of bed these days.

A good reason to take it up again..

tick tock..:D

typical Mar 16th 2010 7:58 am

If I didn't spend every week in Saudi I probably would... always wanted to do one. I'm a crap cyclist though.

Jeeper Mar 16th 2010 8:07 am

Originally Posted by typical (Post 8423153)
If I didn't spend every week in Saudi I probably would... always wanted to do one. I'm a crap cyclist though.

Do they allow people to ride crap in these events?

Arcadia Mar 17th 2010 2:09 pm

But doesn't yer bike get rusty with all that salty sea water?