Triathlete

Old Mar 4th 2014, 1:41 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triathlete

Genuine offer here, I have a spare Trek bike that I don't use here at all.

I can't bring myself to sell it as I know back in scotland it will be handy for winter and hill training.

That said over the last year, I have loaned it out to beginners, completely free of charge. It's quite an outlay for a bike, so use mine to see if you like it.

Right now, I have loaned to guys and girls(albeit a tall one) who have now completed Olympic distance triathlons, a half Ironman and many 100m bike rides. They all say they would never have bothered if they had to go and buy a bike.

No strings, I just get enormous satisfaction at seeing these people 10-20kg's lighter and full of energy and enthusiasm towards their new hobby.

Scamp?? It has your name on it...(well actually it has my name on it and a scotland flag)
Old Mar 4th 2014, 3:52 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Okay, Triathlon 101 coming up:

As mentioned Swim/Bike/Run

Sprint : 750m/20k/5k
Standard or Olympic: 1500m/40k/10k
Middle distance or 70.3: 1900m/90k/21.1k
Long course: 4000m/120k/30k
Iron Distance: 3800m/180k/42.2k

Then there are bespoke races such as Abu Dhabi International in a fortnight.

Short course: 1500m/100k/10k
Long course:3000m/200k/20k

I'm racing the short course in AD for the 3rd time, I raced the long course in 2011..horrible 200k bike.

Then after that it is down to Port Elizabeth for Ironman South Africa in April..

Scamp, I think you would love it. The camaraderie is second to none. Everyone genuinely wants others to succeed. Sign up for a sprint...

If the swimming puts you off, there are many duathlon races held (run/bike/run) that cater for beginners.

I have plenty of gear needing a good home
Sorry buddy, I wasn't really built for this kind of thing. I've got lots of time for people who do this stuff though, it impresses the shit out of me.

Genuine offer here, I have a spare Trek bike that I don't use here at all.

I can't bring myself to sell it as I know back in scotland it will be handy for winter and hill training.

That said over the last year, I have loaned it out to beginners, completely free of charge. It's quite an outlay for a bike, so use mine to see if you like it.

Right now, I have loaned to guys and girls(albeit a tall one) who have now completed Olympic distance triathlons, a half Ironman and many 100m bike rides. They all say they would never have bothered if they had to go and buy a bike.

No strings, I just get enormous satisfaction at seeing these people 10-20kg's lighter and full of energy and enthusiasm towards their new hobby.

Scamp?? It has your name on it...(well actually it has my name on it and a scotland flag)
That's real generous of you mate, but I need to carry on heading to the gym after work for a little longer before I start considering this kind of business
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Sorry buddy, I wasn't really built for this kind of thing. I've got lots of time for people who do this stuff though, it impresses the shit out of me.

That's real generous of you mate, but I need to carry on heading to the gym after work for a little longer before I start considering this kind of business
you'll enjoy riding the bike around the bab-al-shams track a million times more than the gym. You should see the beer guts up there struggling to walk with jelly legs back to the car. You'll be in good company.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 4:53 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

I understand what you're saying as I felt just like you a few months ago. 4 months ago I couldn't swim front crawl for more than 10m (yes, not a typo) without stopping and my 5k running time was well over 30 minutes. My experience is that triathlon training is one of the best ways to get fit and lose weight. The multi-sport aspect of it means that not only is the exercise varied (and therefore more interesting), but you also reduce the likelihood of injury.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
you'll enjoy riding the bike around the bab-al-shams track a million times more than the gym. You should see the beer guts up there struggling to walk with jelly legs back to the car. You'll be in good company.
A sight to behold...Bab Al Helmet seems miles away, Meydan appears to be popular with a couple of the guys at work.

Originally Posted by csdf
I understand what you're saying as I felt just like you a few months ago. 4 months ago I couldn't swim front crawl for more than 10m (yes, not a typo) without stopping and my 5k running time was well over 30 minutes. My experience is that triathlon training is one of the best ways to get fit and lose weight. The multi-sport aspect of it means that not only is the exercise varied (and therefore more interesting), but you also reduce the likelihood of injury.
The running aspect would / has killed off any interest for me. I can imagine the cycling would be alright and I'm a good swimmer (albeit not fit enough to just smash out 750m tonight). I haven't got the willpower / determination / desire to actually go and run 5km to see how long it would take me. I'd just end up walking.

Still, kudos to you pal. Fair play.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

running sucks
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:24 am
Account Closed

mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute

running sucks
No, sucking sucks, running is like walking, only faster.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:27 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Running sucks until you find out that with a month or so's practice you can outrun almost every "normal" (i.e. non-fitness fanatic) friend you know. Being able to do something that most people would consider unachievable is very motivating (for me, at least). You then have to temper that with the realisation that being able to outrun most "normal" people still puts you at the bottom of the pack when it comes to actual competitions!
Old Mar 4th 2014, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Running sucks until you find out that with a month or so's practice you can outrun almost every "normal" (i.e. non-fitness fanatic) friend you know. Being able to do something that most people would consider unachievable is very motivating (for me, at least). You then have to temper that with the realisation that being able to outrun most "normal" people still puts you at the bottom of the pack when it comes to actual competitions!
humm. I take your point but I've never been able to run - not even as a kid. It just doesn't happen for me. I'm much happier on a bike.

I'm amazed at how quickly you improve though... like press ups. A month ago I was lucky if I could do 5, now 25 in 30s is no problem.
Old Mar 4th 2014, 6:52 am
Account Closed

humm. I take your point but I've never been able to run - not even as a kid. It just doesn't happen for me. I'm much happier on a bike.

I'm amazed at how quickly you improve though... like press ups. A month ago I was lucky if I could do 5, now 25 in 30s is no problem.
I think my dislike for is stems from school where PE was running. End of story.

Either the Short Close (1 mile ish), Long Close (1.5) or Extra Long Close (nearly 2) around the Cathedral.

Or if you had that **** Mr Beaumont it was Churchill Gardens (2 and a bit) or if you were really unlucky it was the Town Path (just about 3 miles).

Wankery ********s would follow on a bike and be stationed along the way to make sure people rand it non-stop and didn't try shortcuts etc.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:32 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 5th 2014, 2:37 am
banned

I think my dislike for is stems from school where PE was running. End of story.

Either the Short Close (1 mile ish), Long Close (1.5) or Extra Long Close (nearly 2) around the Cathedral.

Or if you had that **** Mr Beaumont it was Churchill Gardens (2 and a bit) or if you were really unlucky it was the Town Path (just about 3 miles).

Wankery ********s would follow on a bike and be stationed along the way to make sure people rand it non-stop and didn't try shortcuts etc.
Forget all that crap. Running should be enjoyable. It isn't when you are forced to do it and you run above your current ability. Go for a short jog, nice and slow and build up the time (not distance) that you cover over a few months
It doesn't matter the pace. That will come automatically.

Also, you can borrow my bike to go with your mates to the cycle track at meydan. It's a wonderful facility.
Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Millsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond reputeMillsyisland has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with Commander, csdf and the others on this Scamp, running (or biking, triathlons etc.) can be so hugely satisfying and rewarding, and obviously helps with fitness and weight loss too.

A few years ago I did very little exercise but had some friends that did regular running and decided to give it a go. Obviously you start with short runs then build up, at the time when I did my first 5K it was a massive achievement, now a 5K is a minimum and I'm running 60k a week to run next month's London Marathon, something I always wanted to do but never in a million years thought I'd be able to. Plus I've lost loads of weight and am fitter than I've ever been.

Why not give it a go, you never know, you might enjoy it?
Old Mar 5th 2014, 3:31 am
Account Closed

Forget all that crap. Running should be enjoyable. It isn't when you are forced to do it and you run above your current ability. Go for a short jog, nice and slow and build up the time (not distance) that you cover over a few months

Also, you can borrow my bike to go with your mates to the cycle track at meydan. It's a wonderful facility.
Maybe one day soon. I took a trip to the gym last week and loved it. Cycled 5k ish to get the heart going and did lots of weights (nothing mental) but felt awesome. However....the next few days not being able to lift my arms was less than fun. Got a golf tourny this weekend and playing tonight so decided to not try and ruin my body before!
Old Mar 5th 2014, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

Robajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud ofRobajob has much to be proud of

I second that, Meydan is great, I'm down there for a ride most Friday and Saturday mornings.

Off down to the Autodrome tonight - if I can get out of the office early enough.

Scamp - get on the bike, what have you got to lose?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.