Triathlete

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 2:40 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Triathlete

Originally Posted by flares
Wow thanks for the offer big man.

I'm in AUH but repatriating to UK at the end of March (if anyone is looking for a 4 bed on Island villa for 140k pa, or a 2006 Jeep Commander or a 2013 VW Tiguan etc etc).

So the next one for me is the Sussex Triathlon in June.

No socks. I was training with Haddins Fitness in their Tri group for the 8 weeks running up to the Yas Tri and they had a number of talks by experienced triathletes - including the dude from Luxemburg who won the Olympic.

But I was doing it on the cheap (laces and belt for under 100 dh only new kit expense) and I hear what you say about a Tri suit. May also invest in a swim wetsuit so I can swim in the English Channel of a morning - my new office will be a stones throw from Hove lawns.

flares
I would say a wetsuit is compulsory for back home. Make sure you get fitted though as opposed to buying online. Really important it fits correctly. If it feels really really tight, then that's about right.

Yea, you met Oli Godart then? He is a good friend of mine and an absolute beast of a triathlete.

You have me wondering who the experienced triathletes were that was helping out a haddins. I likely know them all as I used to live and compete in AD. In fact I was one of the first people to ride on Yas circuit before it was opened. The old ops manager there is a good triathlete (in fact he was the race director at the weekend)

Cheers
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 3:49 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest slow down was caused by a stitch that materialised within seconds of getting out of the water. Meant I had to walk half the way through T1. I've still not figured out why I sometimes randomly get stitches, other than that they only happen when running and typically disappear within a couple of minutes as long as I slow right down
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 5:36 am
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by commander

You have me wondering who the experienced triathletes were that was helping out a haddins. I likely know them all as I used to live and compete in AD. In fact I was one of the first people to ride on Yas circuit before it was opened. The old ops manager there is a good triathlete (in fact he was the race director at the weekend)

Cheers
You possibly don't know this one as he's only a wee bairn but still very knowledgeable and passionate about Triathlons - lad called Sam O'Shea

And the race director bod you mean Steve? If so I'm working for him at the Abu Tri.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:34 am
banned

commander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond reputecommander has a reputation beyond repute

You possibly don't know this one as he's only a wee bairn but still very knowledgeable and passionate about Triathlons - lad called Sam O'Shea

And the race director bod you mean Steve? If so I'm working for him at the Abu Tri.
I know young Sam, one for the future until he finds women and beer :-). Steve wasn't the race director, that was Troy Watson.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 9:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What's an Olympic Triathlon compared to a standard?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

csdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond reputecsdf has a reputation beyond repute

Double the distance, give or take.
So 1.5km swim, 40k+ cycle, 10km run.
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:35 am
**** it we'll do it live

shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute

fair play to all of you

although all this talk of transitions, lycra and wetsuits is ensuring that i never tri
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:47 am
banned

Originally Posted by csdf
Double the distance, give or take.
So 1.5km swim, 40k+ cycle, 10km run.
Olympic and standard are the same thing and as above
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:54 am
banned

Originally Posted by shiva
fair play to all of you

although all this talk of transitions, lycra and wetsuits is ensuring that i never tri
Wait until we get the official race photos and post them on here
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 11:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by commander
Olympic and standard are the same thing and as above
Fair play. Are there longer ones too?

Like a Super-Triathlon?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

flares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond reputeflares has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Fair play. Are there longer ones too?

Like a Super-Triathlon?
Do as I did and start with a 'sprint' Scamp - I see you are Tri-curious

Long ones are called Ironman which is 140 miles + I think. you swim and cycle all day and then top it off with a marathon!!!
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

Do as I did and start with a 'sprint' Scamp - I see you are Tri-curious

Long ones are called Ironman which is 140 miles + I think. you swim and cycle all day and then top it off with a marathon!!!
Absolutely not Tri-Curious for me, just in general.

How far's a sprint one then?
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Absolutely not Tri-Curious for me, just in general.

How far's a sprint one then?
750m swim; 20km bike; 5km run
Old Mar 3rd 2014, 12:41 pm
Account Closed

750m swim; 20km bike; 5km run
I'd cruise that I reckon. No training. World record time.

Old Mar 3rd 2014, 1:57 pm
banned

I'd cruise that I reckon. No training. World record time.

Okay, Triathlon 101 coming up:

As mentioned Swim/Bike/Run

Sprint : 750m/20k/5k
Standard or Olympic: 1500m/40k/10k
Middle distance or 70.3: 1900m/90k/21.1k
Long course: 4000m/120k/30k
Iron Distance: 3800m/180k/42.2k

Then there are bespoke races such as Abu Dhabi International in a fortnight.

Short course: 1500m/100k/10k
Long course:3000m/200k/20k

I'm racing the short course in AD for the 3rd time, I raced the long course in 2011..horrible 200k bike.

Then after that it is down to Port Elizabeth for Ironman South Africa in April..

Scamp, I think you would love it. The camaraderie is second to none. Everyone genuinely wants others to succeed. Sign up for a sprint...

If the swimming puts you off, there are many duathlon races held (run/bike/run) that cater for beginners.

I have plenty of gear needing a good home

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.