British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Travel suggestions for early December (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/travel-suggestions-early-december-628267/)

Ethos83 Aug 30th 2009 10:56 am

Travel suggestions for early December

Having recently returned from a long and shockingly expensive holiday to the UK/France, it's time to start planning the next not quite so long nor shockingly expensive holiday. This time it's in early December (27 November through 5 December to be exact), which overlaps with the two Islamic holidays in that week.

There's a few places I have in mind:

1. Syria. Damascus-Palmyra-Aleppo, stay in the old cities, explore the old bazaars and pick up a decent rug or two. Downsides: the islamic holidays that week may put a damper on the activities I may want to do and interefer with regular transportation schedules.

2. Nepal: November is a great time to go trekking in the mountains. But I'm not an experienced hiker, although I keep myself in good health and shape.

3. Thailand (Phuket, Bangkok etc): always wanted to go there, but I would be a single traveler (most likely) and going to resorts as a single traveler may be difficult, such as eating by oneself in the dining room. Flights are a bit long and more expensive than going someplace in the Middle East.

4. India (Delhi and the Rajasthani region). But worried about coming down with a strange sickness before I'm due to fly home for the Christmas holidays.

5. Germany. Have a few friends in Berlin and it could be fun to see the Christmasmarkets. Flight tickets don't appear too expensive.

Any suggestions? A few considerations: single traveler, would like to keep budget to no more than 5,000 AED for everything, including airfare, hotels, food and gifts.

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 11:10 am

Re: Travel suggestions for early December

out of that list I would say Thailand if you are travelling alone and it would come within budget as well :)

klaus3974 Aug 30th 2009 11:23 am

If you do not mind the taxi ride, Air Asia is traveling from Abu Dhabi to Kuala Lumpur for AED 199, return flight, taxes included. You cannot beat that. I booked my trip for June 2010.

PS: I do not work in Air Asia!

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 11:27 am

Originally Posted by klaus3974 (Post 7888596)
If you do not mind the taxi ride, Air Asia is traveling from Abu Dhabi to Kuala Lumpur for AED 199, return flight, taxes included. You cannot beat that. I booked my trip for June 2010.

PS: I do not work in Air Asia!

that is amazing!!! do they go to Penang?

klaus3974 Aug 30th 2009 11:29 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7888602)
that is amazing!!! do they go to Penang?

Only direct flight to KL but Air Asia is a low cost company (a real one, no like Fly Dubai) based in KL... so from there you can fly everywhere in South East Asia for a few coins.

Their Abu Dabhi flight is starting in November 2009.

Meow Aug 30th 2009 11:44 am

Has anyone flown with Air Asia? There are no pictures of the inside of the planes on their website (that I can see), so I am wondering just how basic it is.

-

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 11:47 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7888654)
Has anyone flown with Air Asia? There are no pictures of the inside of the planes on their website (that I can see), so I am wondering just how basic it is.

-

I would imagine it will be easyjet basic :)

Meow Aug 30th 2009 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7888663)
I would imagine it will be easyjet basic :)

Thus far, I have managed to avoid all buget airlines, but some of the prices to KL are amazing. Debating with myself whether I could manage a 7 hours flight like that without killing anyone. :lol:

-

klaus3974 Aug 30th 2009 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7888654)

-

It is easy jet basic. You pay for your food, luggage, and anything else. It is very well known company in South East Asia but does not cater to the luxury traveling sector if you know what I mean. You can always do a google search for references... there are plenty.

Meow Aug 30th 2009 11:58 am

Ah ha! Just discovered they have a 'premium' option. Nothing like business class, but looks rather more spacious. Still cheaper than standard flights with anyone else.

Hmmmmm

-

Autonomy Aug 30th 2009 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7888544)
out of that list I would say Thailand if you are travelling alone and it would come within budget as well :)

I'd second the Thai option - but forget resorts - beach hut type accom much better and very very cheap - doesn't need to be basic either, you can get nice places...

DustyBits Aug 30th 2009 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ethos83 (Post 7888511)

2. Nepal: November is a great time to go trekking in the mountains. But I'm not an experienced hiker, although I keep myself in good health and shape.

Did the trekking thing in Nepal last January with Mrs DB via Qatar Air. Apart from the flight, hotels & trek were cheap as chips, stunning scenery, lovely people. You need to be a bit fit though, as a 'hill' to them is about 3000ft! (a Munroe for the Jocks). Recommend Courtyard hotel in Kathmandu, check it on Tripadvisor.

DB

NorthernLad Aug 30th 2009 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by Meow (Post 7888685)
Ah ha! Just discovered they have a 'premium' option. Nothing like business class, but looks rather more spacious. Still cheaper than standard flights with anyone else.

Hmmmmm

-

We used them in Thailand to get from Bangkok to Phuket, they were fine.

No business section on plane we flew, but we did pay and extra 5 quid each to get onto the plane first (no allocated seating).

Blue Cat Aug 30th 2009 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 7888791)
We used them in Thailand to get from Bangkok to Phuket, they were fine.

No business section on plane we flew, but we did pay and extra 5 quid each to get onto the plane first (no allocated seating).

you can run a poll if you like but she won't do it :p

Meow Aug 30th 2009 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 7888797)
you can run a poll if you like but she won't do it :p

:D

You're right. It is unlikely. I work too hard to make myself suffer*. :p

*and it's unfair to inflict my bad mood when travelling economy on others too.

-