Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Training regime for the gym

Training regime for the gym

Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute
Default Training regime for the gym

We had a long thread on this no long ago so forgive me for resurrecting the topic. I'm keen to reconsider my approach to training and am willing to put in the dedication.

What I am aiming for is to tone up a bit and build a bit more muscles. Stronger pecs, flatter stomach, slightly more muscular arms. Not much more than that. As I already swim regularly (5 x weekly, 2-2.5km per swim) I am already lean with low body fat.

I was thinking of swimming 3 x weekly and training at the gym 3 x weekly. What would be a good routine at the gym to get what I'm aiming for?

I am sure the diet is the other part of the equation. More protein?

CoBoyDurham? Even Millhouse? You must have good suggestions.

Last edited by DXBtoDOH; Apr 10th 2018 at 11:49 am.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 11:48 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Training regime for the gym

Lift the biggest weight you can until you drop it noisily on the floor. That seems to work for the meat heads around my gym

Well that and steroids
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

DXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond reputeDXBtoDOH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
Lift the biggest weight you can until you drop it noisily on the floor. That seems to work for the meat heads around my gym

Well that and steroids
Useful advice

Not interested in becoming a meathead.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

reddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond reputereddiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DXBtoDOH
We had a long thread on this no long ago so forgive me for resurrecting the topic. I'm keen to reconsider my approach to training and am willing to put in the dedication.

What I am aiming for is to tone up a bit and build a bit more muscles. Stronger pecs, flatter stomach, slightly more muscular arms. Not much more than that. As I already swim regularly (5 x weekly, 2-2.5km per swim) I am already lean with low body fat.

I was thinking of swimming 3 x weekly and training at the gym 3 x weekly. What would be a good routine at the gym to get what I'm aiming for?

I am sure the diet is the other part of the equation. More protein?

CoBoyDurham? Even Millhouse? You must have good suggestions.
A few years ago lots of friends did the body for life plan. 12 week program to tone and build muscle. None were overweight just wanted a more defined body. The plan was a diet/weights plan but as it was American they just tailored the food to that of a UK palate. None of them became huge meat heads just more defined with some muscle. Other half does a mix of running/boxing and weights.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:22 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Don't overcomplicate it. Deadifts, squats and bench press.
Eat more to fuel the growth.

I've got to get back into exercising, had some time off and the smoking has crept up and running stopped.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:31 pm
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

Useful advice

Not interested in becoming a meathead.
I'm back doing some training for sports over the last 3 months, I'm doing cardio like a cross trainer or treadmill in the fat burning zone followed by the heaviest weights I can lift, 6 circuits of about 10 reps per machine/movement. Whole thing takes an hour roughly. I'm not losing weight but I'm toning up.

Not entirely scientific but noticeable results without overthinking it.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

I suppose I could top up by eating a few more boiled eggs each day. Could manage that.

Would something like 20 minutes running followed with 40 - 60 min hitting the weights work? Lets say six sets of 10 reps/curls as Weasel suggested?

What's best for the pecs? Push ups? I was briefly doing this regime of lying down on the bench and lifting weights. That was hard!
Old Apr 10th 2018, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Don't bother with machines.

Learn correct form on the 'Big 3' - Bench press, squats and deadlifts. 3 sets of 8 reps around 70% of your 1RM (one rep max)

Increase the weight incrementally each 1-2 weeks.

Best for pecs are pressing and flye movements. If you want to tone your arms as well, I would recommend chest dips 3x(reps to failure)
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

I suppose I could top up by eating a few more boiled eggs each day. Could manage that.

Would something like 20 minutes running followed with 40 - 60 min hitting the weights work? Lets say six sets of 10 reps/curls as Weasel suggested?

What's best for the pecs? Push ups? I was briefly doing this regime of lying down on the bench and lifting weights. That was hard!
Stop all cardio. Lift heavy. Do 5x5 (google it).

Eat a lot more protein.

The advice doesn’t change from last time.

Never do cardio before weights.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Don't bother with machines.

Learn correct form on the 'Big 3' - Bench press, squats and deadlifts. 3 sets of 8 reps around 70% of your 1RM (one rep max)

Increase the weight incrementally each 1-2 weeks.

Best for pecs are pressing and flye movements. If you want to tone your arms as well, I would recommend chest dips 3x(reps to failure)
Originally Posted by Millhouse
Stop all cardio. Lift heavy. Do 5x5 (google it).

Eat a lot more protein.

The advice doesn’t change from last time.

Never do cardio before weights.
Thanks, gents. No running (thank god, dull). More boiled eggs. Will spend some time on google and the Big 3 and 5x5.

Looks like it's a rival between the Big 3 and 5x5 (or are they variants of the same training?)
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by reddiva
A few years ago lots of friends did the body for life plan. 12 week program to tone and build muscle. None were overweight just wanted a more defined body. The plan was a diet/weights plan but as it was American they just tailored the food to that of a UK palate. None of them became huge meat heads just more defined with some muscle. Other half does a mix of running/boxing and weights.
I looked up the diet. It is intriguing. Seems like it's starving yourself + hitting the machines at the gym, which is bound to work for a while. Will take a closer look at it too.

Makes wonder what the difference is between the US and UK palate?
Old Apr 10th 2018, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

ExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of lightExpatAl is a glorious beacon of light

Well, when you think about it, the working load is almost the same (3x8 = 24, 5x5 = 25)

5x5 can also be known as stronglifts training. It's purpose is to build strength quickly

6-8 reps in a set is the sweet spot for muscle building

Both have their purpose
Old Apr 10th 2018, 2:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExpatAl
Well, when you think about it, the working load is almost the same (3x8 = 24, 5x5 = 25)

5x5 can also be known as stronglifts training. It's purpose is to build strength quickly

6-8 reps in a set is the sweet spot for muscle building

Both have their purpose
With strength comes muscle.

Muscle needs food. A diet of eggs and spinach salads isn’t going to be enough. DXB also needs some nuts - and not just at the weekends.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:22 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Turkey breast
Steak (a couple of times a week)
BCAAs
Eggs
Cottage cheese
Low-GI carbs
Plenty of good fats (including almonds and walnuts)

5x5 or similar, machines as a last resort (except for leg press and leg curls). 4-6 times a week.

Sounds like you don't need any aerobic exercise at all at the moment.
Old Apr 10th 2018, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

It’s the diet that bothers me, ironically because I don’t eat junk food. I don’t care for cooking so the spinach salads (tonight!) and eggs are easily prepared and consumed. Looks like I’m going to have to put more effort into eating more food. And that is more daunting than anything at the gym.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.