British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Traffic in KSA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/traffic-ksa-872449/)

Charl01 Feb 14th 2016 12:21 pm

Traffic in KSA

Been in Jeddah now for only 2 months, but still cant get use to the traffic, every morning and every afternoon its like a Mad Max movie to get to work and back home again.

Maybe its a good thing no alcohol allowed, can you imagine these maniacs driving like they do under the influence? Then again maybe my drive will be much better if I was under the influence.

amazing that most of the locals takes their sweet time with everything, but my oh my when they get behind the wheel its racing time.

scot47 Feb 14th 2016 3:39 pm

Re: Traffic in KSA

Driving is when the locals get the chance to prove they are macho.

nonthaburi Feb 14th 2016 3:51 pm

Many people do drink and drive, or take drugs and drive.

Police never breathalyse anyone so it's a very safe place to be over the limit.

I've never been anywhere else in the world that you are guaranteed something ridiculous happening every time you get in a vehicle.

On the plus side, you can do what you want too. You get used to it. Just always be ready anything.

It's a crazy country. I was doing 150 on the highway the other week. Came up to a police car in front of me that was doing 140. It moves over to let me pass. How many countries does that happen in!!

My wife was telling me off in Thailand for driving too much like a Saudi, LOL

What's the definition of a Saudi millisecond?

The time it takes someone to get on the horn when the lights go green!

Told a Saudi colleague that and he cracked up...

scot47 Feb 14th 2016 4:23 pm

Saudis do have a sense of humour !

Boomhauer Feb 14th 2016 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by Charl01 (Post 11867268)
Been in Jeddah now for only 2 months, but still cant get use to the traffic, every morning and every afternoon its like a Mad Max movie to get to work and back home again.

Maybe its a good thing no alcohol allowed, can you imagine these maniacs driving like they do under the influence? Then again maybe my drive will be much better if I was under the influence.

amazing that most of the locals takes their sweet time with everything, but my oh my when they get behind the wheel its racing time.

Maybee they need some Mary Jane to mellow them out a bit.

Rubydo Feb 15th 2016 7:12 am

Originally Posted by Charl01 (Post 11867268)

If you can't beat them, join them! As the saying goes. It's the same here in Abu Dhabi, crazy!!!

nottmbantam Feb 15th 2016 9:05 am

A thread on driving standards in Saudi could go on forever. Best summary I read was when someone asked what side of the road do they drive on?

Answer - Supposed to be on the right, but they generally drive wherever they want to.

iggle Feb 16th 2016 2:29 am

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11867937)
If you can't beat them, join them! As the saying goes. It's the same here in Abu Dhabi, crazy!!!

Abu is not that bad, got used to it.

Just do what the hell you want and look in all the mirrors (AT THE SAME TIME!!)

Rubydo Feb 16th 2016 8:42 am

Originally Posted by iggle (Post 11868695)
Abu is not that bad, got used to it.

Just do what the hell you want and look in all the mirrors (AT THE SAME TIME!!)

Yeah u just have to drive like them or get killed!

Beakersful Feb 22nd 2016 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by Rubydo (Post 11868909)
Yeah u just have to drive like them or get killed!

Only if you want to get the fines like them. Those cameras are everywhere!!!!!

From someone who has experienced both countries: KSA drivers are crazy, UAE just dangerous. It's just one word, but a thousand anecdotes.