Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

The Toyota Camry - Is It Just Me?....

The Toyota Camry - Is It Just Me?....

Old Oct 27th 2008, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Toyota Camry - Is It Just Me?....

...Or are these cars the bain of the f.cuking highways in Saudi? Or should I say the drivers of these cars.

Every single time I've been cut up, tailgated, flashed to move over, have other cars try to intimidate me, - its been by a Toyota f.cuking Camry.

Do these cars think they own the road or something? In the UK, BMW drivers have a bad name ( no idea why,my last two cars were Beemers and I was ALWAYS courteous ), and I for one certainly hate the Camry with a vengeance. No matter whether its a new model or an old banged up heap of shite, its still guaranteed to be a right pain in the derrier when its out on the road.

What makes it worse, is that the Camry is such a bland and meanginless lump of metal pretending to be a 'decent' car, and held in high esteem by the locals.

And as for Camry's that are taxi's - don't even get me stared on that one...

/rant.
Old Oct 27th 2008, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Toyota Camry - Is It Just Me?....

Originally Posted by nottmbantam
...Or are these cars the bain of the f.cuking highways in Saudi? Or should I say the drivers of these cars.

Every single time I've been cut up, tailgated, flashed to move over, have other cars try to intimidate me, - its been by a Toyota f.cuking Camry.

Do these cars think they own the road or something? In the UK, BMW drivers have a bad name ( no idea why,my last two cars were Beemers and I was ALWAYS courteous ), and I for one certainly hate the Camry with a vengeance. No matter whether its a new model or an old banged up heap of shite, its still guaranteed to be a right pain in the derrier when its out on the road.

What makes it worse, is that the Camry is such a bland and meanginless lump of metal pretending to be a 'decent' car, and held in high esteem by the locals.

/rant.
Are there any taxis that aren't Camrys?? I've started to notice the odd Hyundai Elantra but Camrys still rule the roost.

I think the Japs are dumping them on the regional market, so Korea is no doubt doing the same........... nobody is going to pay full price for a car in the current climate anyway.......... for the price, Camrys aren't bad.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:46 am
Go on.. Pull my finger..

TGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond reputeTGFKASE has a reputation beyond repute

/rant.

Have to admit, when I was in Dammam (2001 - 2006) my co car was one of those f**king Camry's. I always found it was the clapped out Crown Vic's that were the ones driving with the drivers side missing the guard rail by inches as they try to overtake you between the fast lane and the rail....
Old Oct 28th 2008, 4:58 am
Account Closed

lionheart is an unknown quantity at this point

Yours truly drove Toyota Camrys for the best part of eight years in KSA without one single accident. Its simply that its by far the most popular car over there. From my experience, both in KSA and the UAE, the worst drivers are those in white or black Toyota Landcruisers or Prados usually with heavily tinted glass. In KSA they were often driven by 12yo boys taking mummy shopping.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Yours truly drove Toyota Camrys for the best part of eight years in KSA without one single accident. Its simply that its by far the most popular car over there. From my experience, both in KSA and the UAE, the worst drivers are those in white or black Toyota Landcruisers or Prados usually with heavily tinted glass. In KSA they were often driven by 12yo boys taking mummy shopping.
I always found Nissan Sunnys and Toyota Corrolla's to be the most dangerous in Dubai.
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute

I guess there had to be a few members on here who would have driven a Camry

Guess I'll have to go out and get one myself to join in the fun.... have to agree re the Landcruisers - especially the white ones.

Mind you, I've just agreed to buy a used Pajero - picking it up on Thursday - inshallah.

Toyed with the idea of buying a nice, newish car ( like the look of the Nissan Murano or if I had the cash, a BMW X6 - gorgeous !), but having the state of most of the cars on the Saudi roads, nealry all of them have been hit, scraped, scratched, bumped and dinged. Didn't think it worthwhile spalshing out on a newish car - I'd just be too nervous out there on the roads.

Out of curiousity - is Dubai driving any better then Saudi?
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I'll have to go out and get one myself to join in the fun.... have to agree re the Landcruisers - especially the white ones.

Mind you, I've just agreed to buy a used Pajero - picking it up on Thursday - inshallah.

Toyed with the idea of buying a nice, newish car ( like the look of the Nissan Murano or if I had the cash, a BMW X6 - gorgeous !), but having the state of most of the cars on the Saudi roads, nealry all of them have been hit, scraped, scratched, bumped and dinged. Didn't think it worthwhile spalshing out on a newish car - I'd just be too nervous out there on the roads.

Don't believe the hype................. Dubai is FAR worse. At least here in the Magic Kingdom a driver occasionally uses an indicator before changing lanes.............
Old Oct 28th 2008, 10:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: The Toyota Camry - Is It Just Me?....

You need one of these:

No one will ever cut you up or try to squeeze you out oflane again. Also you can park it easily .

Full details: http://www.tanksforsale.co.uk/T72_ta..._sale_page.htm
Old Oct 28th 2008, 11:29 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

/rant.
It's a reliable, good little Aussie car...and sells very well around the world ...say no more !
Old Oct 28th 2008, 2:49 pm
Concierge

Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute

good luck with your Pajero, I have got one and I love her to bits! husband even said I could have a new car and refused, couldn't think what I could replace her with for the budget he gave me
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:48 pm
Account Closed

scarletfan is an unknown quantity at this point

yep! My company car is an f@@@ing camry, but only for another 5 weeks, thank god. It has to be said that they are no more than workhorses, and crap in every way possible, although, cough, I am, cough, a courteous (excuse me while I sneeze - aaaaaaaaaabullshit) driver at all times!
Old Oct 28th 2008, 5:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Squirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond reputeSquirty Cream has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Since Prados aren't driven by 'locals' in Dubai, we can only assume that since they are the premier choice of car for BEs, then they are guilty of dangerous driving - quelle horreur, perish the thought that a Brit might be a bad driver!!!!
Old Oct 29th 2008, 1:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Squirty Cream
Since Prados aren't driven by 'locals' in Dubai, we can only assume that since they are the premier choice of car for BEs, then they are guilty of dangerous driving - quelle horreur, perish the thought that a Brit might be a bad driver!!!!
no. they are the favourite of expat arabs and wealthy Sub-continent expats.
BEs seem to go for Dodge Chargers.
Old Nov 1st 2008, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Duracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to allDuracell_Bunny is a name known to all

Is it true that you need to have a family work visa in order to buy and run a 4x4 in Saudi?
Old Nov 1st 2008, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Lyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud ofLyds has much to be proud of

Ever had the misfortune of having to drive a Lancer 1.3 in Dubai? (don't ask me what make it is - that is a technical question as far as I'm concerned!)

All I can say is my moped used to have more guts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.