Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Towering inferno' fears for Gulf's high-rise blocks

Towering inferno' fears for Gulf's high-rise blocks

Old May 3rd 2013, 10:25 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Towering inferno' fears for Gulf's high-rise blocks

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Ok so perhaps I should be leaving the building. How long do you guys let the alarm ring for before you decide to go? As soon as it goes or give it burning toast setting off the alarm takes about 2 minutes to stop see if it carries on typs scenario?
never had a problem with an electric socket? believe that your building is clad in expensive fire resistant cladding rather than the tender going to the cheapest bidder? certain the plumbers and electricians are fully qualified and know that when they drill holes through the "cladding" they are not creating shortcut routes to the fire? got a ladder long enough to drop out of the window and climb down? know that the carpetting/tiling in your communal hallway is flame retardant?

all good? then stay where you are and wait
Old May 3rd 2013, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

al dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond reputeal dente has a reputation beyond repute

I'd also be contemplating their earthquake resistance standard.
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK OK I am now putting together an emergency exit case to keep at my front door.

To be honest I do switch off and unplug all my plugs apart from my fridge but guess thats probably the most likely to spontaneously combust...
Old May 3rd 2013, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of lightjackthehat is a glorious beacon of light

No one ever lost a fortune by underestimating how 'Dim' people can be!

Last edited by jackthehat; May 3rd 2013 at 12:05 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:18 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

OK OK I am now putting together an emergency exit case to keep at my front door.
Don't, in case of thieves.

Keep photocopies of all your important documents (birth, marriage, divorce? death?, graduation, passports) in a separate place from your flat.

Make sure your handbag is easily grab-able in case you have to leave quickly.
Old May 3rd 2013, 3:20 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

In my 44th floor apartment I used to leave it for about 5 mins before stirring. That was because of the extremely high number of false alarms, sometimes up to 5 or 6 a week (and often at 3 in the morning, or thereabouts). For about the month-or-so before I left I noticed that if the alarm went off, it was quickly silenced. Thought they might be testing it. However, that change coincided with new security staff, and what I subsequently witnessed them doing was, as soon as the alarm went off, rushing to the main panel and pushing a button which either turned the alarm off or silenced it, and then they went and investigated the floor / flat indicated on the panel. In a 78-storey building. I now live on the 1st floor of a 2-storey building, and—dogs, cockroaches, mosquitoes and over-indulgence aside—sleep soundly.

And I had a grab-bag of essentials, which I assembled based on a list a friend and I put together whilst drunk. Bright orange rucksack, dust masks, forehead torches (with recurring annual note in my calendar to change the batteries), an axe (from Dragonmart, for smashing through locked fire doors, and to look macho), a whistle, a packet of 3 (you just never know), a couple of handtowels and a couple of bottles of water. And, at my friend’s suggestion, a box of matches. Just in case.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute

Original Sunshine, I keep it inside my apartment with my door locked - not sure where you live but seriously are you worried about burglary here? where would you suggest I keep it? I certainly wouldn't keep it in the office? I'm loving the general paranoia going on!
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point

What causes all the alarms to go off? Mildly curious as I don't think I had a fire alarm go off in my building in Dubai. Except for the fire drills that Emaar periodically did.

Is it random jerks having fun or burning popcorn?
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
In my 44th floor apartment I used to leave it for about 5 mins before stirring. That was because of the extremely high number of false alarms, sometimes up to 5 or 6 a week (and often at 3 in the morning, or thereabouts). For about the month-or-so before I left I noticed that if the alarm went off, it was quickly silenced. Thought they might be testing it. However, that change coincided with new security staff, and what I subsequently witnessed them doing was, as soon as the alarm went off, rushing to the main panel and pushing a button which either turned the alarm off or silenced it, and then they went and investigated the floor / flat indicated on the panel. In a 78-storey building. I now live on the 1st floor of a 2-storey building, and—dogs, cockroaches, mosquitoes and over-indulgence aside—sleep soundly.

And I had a grab-bag of essentials, which I assembled based on a list a friend and I put together whilst drunk. Bright orange rucksack, dust masks, forehead torches (with recurring annual note in my calendar to change the batteries), an axe (from Dragonmart, for smashing through locked fire doors, and to look macho), a whistle, a packet of 3 (you just never know), a couple of handtowels and a couple of bottles of water. And, at my friend’s suggestion, a box of matches. Just in case.
were you thinking of going to a rave once the fire broke out?

Last edited by Millhouse; May 3rd 2013 at 5:35 pm.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Original Sunshine, I keep it inside my apartment with my door locked - not sure where you live but seriously are you worried about burglary here? where would you suggest I keep it? I certainly wouldn't keep it in the office? I'm loving the general paranoia going on!
take photos of everything and keep it on your iphone/icloud. simples.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But what if my phone gets destroyed in the inferno millhouse, or if aliens abduct me?
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But what if my phone gets destroyed in the inferno millhouse, or if aliens abduct me?
the cloud, my dear.

Judging the by the paranoia on this thread, I'm sure people have planned for the alien scenario too - probably have stem cells in storage facilities deep in the swizz alps with surrogates lined up to make replicas in case the worst happens.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The phone should be the first thing (after kids and the cat) that you should save. it'll be the only thing that saves you in the long-run.
Old May 3rd 2013, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

oh I am still struggling to text with my phone which still doesn't work properly, let alone do anything with a cloud...
Old May 3rd 2013, 6:09 pm
Hit 16's

Location: Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine
Bahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond reputeBahtatboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Millhouse
were you thinking of going to a rave once the fire broke out?
A bar, if there was one open. The grab-bag wasn't that serious, but I always make sure my phone's fully charged. Basically that's what saved Li'l Jimmy...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.