Tourist arrivals.

Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:53 am
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Tourist arrivals.

I have to say that I am stunned by the graphic in this news piece. I would never have though that Western European tourists would have outnumbered GCC or South Asian. Marginal I know, but I honestly thought that W.E. would have been below GCC at the very least.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...mbers-1.899296

Old Aug 18th 2019, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tourist arrivals.

"Western Europe" ? That is a rather pre-1989 label !
Old Aug 18th 2019, 9:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TheShed
I have to say that I am stunned by the graphic in this news piece. I would never have though that Western European tourists would have outnumbered GCC or South Asian. Marginal I know, but I honestly thought that W.E. would have been below GCC at the very least.

https://www.thenational.ae/business/...mbers-1.899296
I'm always fascinated by these data points. I think there is a lot of stuff missing in the details. Overlooking the fact that western tourist numbers are probably not actually up, the real issue is the quality of them. The ones coming now are cheap, coming here through packages being punted by EK. These are people who would have previously gone to Spain and drank themselves silly on 1.5Eur beers. When they come here they end up eating in the food courts as everywhere else is so expensive.

Then there are the Asians... I do not believe for one minute that a lot of these are tourists of the traditional definition (i.e. a one week stay and lots of spending) - these are probably young ladies looking for 2-3 months of work and remitting everything they have earned home. These people don't contribute much to the local economy but do help support the wider social objective of the government of it being a happy place.

Yes, there are more Chinese tourists these days - they take photos of everything and record the prices, but purchase little. Move around in coaches in packs and eat once a day at the hotel buffet.

I also wonder what the definition is of a tourist is vs. a transit. When I worked in airports, this is a key definition that is always fudged to give the number you want. Is a 24/48 hour stay a tourist or a transit?

Last edited by Millhouse; Aug 18th 2019 at 9:30 am.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Pongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond reputePongo has a reputation beyond repute

I read (local press) that there were something like 400,000 Chinese living in the UAE now.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 10:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Pongo
I read (local press) that there were something like 400,000 Chinese living in the UAE now.
It's ****ing awful isn't it. If that gets much higher I'll have to think about leaving.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

IKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond reputeIKnowNothing has a reputation beyond repute

I was told by a guy who headed up Abu Dhabi duty free, that a plane load of Germans spend the same amount at Duty Free as 6 Chinese.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:38 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Entirely irrelevant I know, but it's the Sand Pit so that's ok I was transiting through Abu Dhabi on an Oz to Manchester flight and was doing some duty free shopping. The bloke who served me asked me if I had a business card. I was a bit surprised by this, thought it might be some sort of weird rule, so I asked him why he wanted it. He said that he collects them from people around the world I did have some with me but told him I didn't. Just seemed like a very odd request!
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Entirely irrelevant I know, but it's the Sand Pit so that's ok I was transiting through Abu Dhabi on an Oz to Manchester flight and was doing some duty free shopping. The bloke who served me asked me if I had a business card. I was a bit surprised by this, thought it might be some sort of weird rule, so I asked him why he wanted it. He said that he collects them from people around the world I did have some with me but told him I didn't. Just seemed like a very odd request!
Good choice, you'd have had a whatsapp with a picture of his knob before you landed
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:42 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by IKnowNothing
I was told by a guy who headed up Abu Dhabi duty free, that a plane load of Germans spend the same amount at Duty Free as 6 Chinese.
1,000,000 Germans would be quieter than 6 Chinese.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:43 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

In another article, in Arabian Business, Abu Dhabi and Muscat came 13th and 18th respectively in a list of the world’s 50 friendliest cities.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/trav...t-for-tourists

Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:44 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Good choice, you'd have had a whatsapp with a picture of his knob before you landed
: You're a terrible man, but funny
Old Aug 18th 2019, 5:39 pm
Wannabe Cycling God

TheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond reputeTheShed has a reputation beyond repute

I go through DXB at least once a week and the number of Chinese people is frightening. I saw what they did to Kenya and just hope that the guys in charge here can see their economic warfare before it happens.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I go through DXB at least once a week and the number of Chinese people is frightening. I saw what they did to Kenya and just hope that the guys in charge here can see their economic warfare before it happens.
One major Chinese contractor has 112 Major construction projects on going here in the UAE . You cannot compete full stop .
Old Aug 19th 2019, 5:40 am
hnd
BE Forum Addict

hnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond reputehnd has a reputation beyond repute

Same thing happening here in Muscat. “China Malls” popping up everywhere full of rip-off tat, and their rudeness is, quite simply, mind-boggling.
Old Aug 19th 2019, 6:14 am
Forum Regular

Arnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to beholdArnold S is a splendid one to behold

Genuinely curious, what was the negative impact on Kenya?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.