British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Tough Relegation Battle (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/tough-relegation-battle-793189/)

mentalist Apr 7th 2013 10:18 am

Tough Relegation Battle

All of a sudden, Stoke City are now in the thick of it. Mind you, having won only 5 points since January 1st, they deserve it. However, unless De Canio performs a small miracle, I can see Sunderland joining Reading and QPR for the plunge. Aston Villa winning the Euro U-19 Championship seems to have belatedly kick-started their season, their youngsters performing well in the first team now...and what a goal that was yesterday! Norwich have some difficult games ahead, but hopefully they will prevail. So who are your contenders, people? We have already heard from Spugsy in an earlier thread on his beloved Toon Army, who are not yet out of the mire, but will be able to give it their full attention after this coming Thursday's Europa League elimination...

"We've got a good couple of winnable games mate despite being dangerously close to the relegation end:
Fulham (H)
Dirty Mackems (H)
West Brom (A)
Liverpool (H)
West Ham (A)
QPR (A)
Arsenal (H)
I can see three wins in there and that should do it.
Sunderland are in deep trouble, no fight, no spirit, no manager and Fletcher out til the end of the season, I always thought they'd be ok but I'm really not sure now - they may stay up but there us a god chance they may go down."

jackthehat Apr 7th 2013 12:13 pm

Re: Tough Relegation Battle

Jumpers for Goalposts, Home for Tea . . . .

The Dean Apr 8th 2013 2:37 am

Wigan have got some tough-looking games, and are still in the FA Cup........ they will probably beat Millwall and reach the Final, but it's a distraction either way.

And has anyone noticed the bottom of the Championship? Someone is going to get relegated with an unheard-of high total of something like 55 points from 46 games.......... 8 points covers 9th to 23rd........... :ohmy:

Quackers Apr 8th 2013 6:24 am

It will be close but I think this time Wigan will drop with QPR/Reading

Cypselos Apr 8th 2013 6:38 am

Someone's going down with 40+

Quackers Apr 8th 2013 7:58 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10645769)

The average (at the bottom end) is usually 1 point/match and so it could finish:

15 Stoke 40
16 Aston Villa 39
17 Wigan 38
18 Sunderland 37

But I think Sunderland may just pip Wigan due to the home support. Wigan don't have many football fans (the're all Rugby families).

Kix Apr 8th 2013 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Quackers (Post 10645848)
The average (at the bottom end) is usually 1 point/match and so it could finish:

15 Stoke 40
16 Aston Villa 39
17 Wigan 38
18 Sunderland 37

But I think Sunderland may just pip Wigan due to the home support. Wigan don't have many football fans (the're all Rugby families).

We hammered Fulham yesterday (sorry Meow), how it was only 1:0 is beyond me, denied a clear hand ball penalty off the line, hit the woodwork so many times, Krul saves.

Great game.

Bring on the dirty fascists....

The Dean Apr 8th 2013 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Cypselos (Post 10645769)

I think 40 will be safe, especially with a few of the bottom pack still to play each other.......... Villa have got Sunderland and Wigan (last day), Sunderland have also got Stoke, five of Wighan's final seven opponents are in the top half......... oooer......... :huh:

co durham boy Apr 8th 2013 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10645864)
We hammered Fulham yesterday (sorry Meow), how it was only 1:0 is beyond me, denied a clear hand ball penalty off the line, hit the woodwork so many times, Krul saves.

Great game.

Bring on the dirty fascists....

Coming from a club that sold the NF magazine The Front outside The Gallowgate End ?

Wind ya neck in man , you sound like your sexuality confused manager , you know the one who has a taste for the roulette table and a pretty young male face .

I'm flying home Thursday and will be at the game on Sunday morning , hope to see you there ?

Kix Apr 8th 2013 9:38 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10645943)
Coming from a club that sold the NF magazine The Front outside The Gallowgate End ?

Wind ya neck in man , you sound like your sexuality confused manager , you know the one who has a taste for the roulette table and a pretty young male face .

I'm flying home Thursday and will be at the game on Sunday morning , hope to see you there ?

The Front was sold outside pretty much every football ground - even the stadium of shite - so don't go there.

Bloody mackums....

Anyway, great write up of the game in the Independent - even for those who don't support either team.

co durham boy Apr 8th 2013 9:49 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10645952)
The Front was sold outside pretty much every football ground - even the stadium of shite - so don't go there.

Bloody mackums....

Anyway, great write up of the game in the Independent - even for those who don't support either team.

I fancy at least a point and i'd take it now if offered . We have a terrible record in the Derby home & away and obviously there's a lot at stake on Sunday .

I must be fu**ing mad :rofl:

By the way you were bang to rights with the front , it was never sold at Roker Park only at Sid James's , no kebab shops in Pink lane in those years .

Kix Apr 8th 2013 10:10 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10645968)
I fancy at least a point and i'd take it now if offered . We have a terrible record in the Derby home & away and obviously there's a lot at stake on Sunday .

I must be fu**ing mad :rofl:

By the way you were bang to rights with the front , it was never sold at Roker Park only at Sid James's , no kebab shops in Pink lane in those years .

What's the bets on Shola scoring our winner - he does have form against you ...

co durham boy Apr 8th 2013 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Kix (Post 10645989)
What's the bets on Shola scoring our winner - he does have form against you ...

I know mate it's unreal isn't it . Especially when he's a carthorse as well .

The only thing that will keep us up is Wigan been worse than us to be honest . We've been terrible this season and if we go down it will be well deserved as we haven't been convincing in any game that i have seen this season .

7 games is too little for Di Canio , i'd have rather had the odds with 12 games to go . I'm still amazed how O'Neill crumbled in the end , something seriously wrong with the set up at Sunderland .

Oh well , onwards and upwards as they say , it'll not be the first time or the last ;)

Kix Apr 8th 2013 10:31 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10645997)
I know mate it's unreal isn't it . Especially when he's a carthorse as well .

The only thing that will keep us up is Wigan been worse than us to be honest . We've been terrible this season and if we go down it will be well deserved as we haven't been convincing in any game that i have seen this season .

7 games is too little for Di Canio , i'd have rather had the odds with 12 games to go . I'm still amazed how O'Neill crumbled in the end , something seriously wrong with the set up at Sunderland .

Oh well , onwards and upwards as they say , it'll not be the first time or the last ;)

Weird that O'Neil caved in, don't understand it really - I always rated him as a manager.

As for Di Canio, weird choice, what's he achieved apart from winning promotion from the old division 4. It'll either go down as the shrewdest choice in history - or the biggest cluster****.

If our game against Benfica goes to extra time on Thursday (which I can't see tbh), we'll still be knackered on Sunday, you could get something out of it.

Sandboy Apr 8th 2013 11:37 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10645943)

how the hell did you get a ticket ? :frown: