Touch down!

Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:05 pm
  #1  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice
Default Touch down!

... posted it in the wrong section.. here goes again!!!

Finally landed in Dubai and the wife is starting work tomorrow.

It's my job as house husband and full time daddy to our 1 year old baby girl to find us somewhere to live within the next 3 weeks.

Ideally we are looking for 2 bedrooms (but at a push would go 1) either on a 1 year contract or a short term let as we are still undecided whether to rent or buy longterm. We're ldeally hoping to get somewhere short term until we get familiar with the areas etc.

We also heard that some people rent their maids quarters out? Is this true?

Before I saddle up the pram and trudge the miles between estate agency's can anyone suggest any leads or contacts?

As were finding acommodation is expensive can anyone suggest any places that are a commutable distance from Bur Dubai.

Our budget is 120/130k a year rental or about 1.1m for purchasing.

Yours hopefully!

Craig


P.S. What's the score with the tap water? Can you brew up from it after boiling or should we stick to bottled.

Also... where are all the used car dealers located?
Hull Lad is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:12 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 50
Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Holqueen here but have logged on in hubby's name!
we are coming out next month and my hubby will be a househusbad too to start with till he finds work.
Hope you like it.

We are lucky and that accomodation comes with my job but I saw what you wrote about mugs and am goona make sure I pack a few!!
Holking is offline  
Old Jan 5th 2008, 8:44 pm
  #3  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Hull Lad View Post
... posted it in the wrong section.. here goes again!!!

Finally landed in Dubai and the wife is starting work tomorrow.

It's my job as house husband and full time daddy to our 1 year old baby girl to find us somewhere to live within the next 3 weeks.

Ideally we are looking for 2 bedrooms (but at a push would go 1) either on a 1 year contract or a short term let as we are still undecided whether to rent or buy longterm. We're ldeally hoping to get somewhere short term until we get familiar with the areas etc.

We also heard that some people rent their maids quarters out? Is this true?

Before I saddle up the pram and trudge the miles between estate agency's can anyone suggest any leads or contacts?

As were finding acommodation is expensive can anyone suggest any places that are a commutable distance from Bur Dubai.

Our budget is 120/130k a year rental or about 1.1m for purchasing.

Yours hopefully!

Craig


P.S. What's the score with the tap water? Can you brew up from it after boiling or should we stick to bottled.

Also... where are all the used car dealers located?

Welcome to Dubai.

The tap water is fine here.
if you want a short commute then have a look in the Golden Sands area. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment within your budget in a building with swimming pool and parking.

for used cars have a look on dubizzle.com. usually some good bargains available on there.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:34 am
  #4  
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 4,990
beebee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Hull Lad View Post
... posted it in the wrong section.. here goes again!!!

Finally landed in Dubai and the wife is starting work tomorrow.

It's my job as house husband and full time daddy to our 1 year old baby girl to find us somewhere to live within the next 3 weeks.

Ideally we are looking for 2 bedrooms (but at a push would go 1) either on a 1 year contract or a short term let as we are still undecided whether to rent or buy longterm. We're ldeally hoping to get somewhere short term until we get familiar with the areas etc.

We also heard that some people rent their maids quarters out? Is this true?

Before I saddle up the pram and trudge the miles between estate agency's can anyone suggest any leads or contacts?

As were finding acommodation is expensive can anyone suggest any places that are a commutable distance from Bur Dubai.

Our budget is 120/130k a year rental or about 1.1m for purchasing.

Yours hopefully!

Craig


P.S. What's the score with the tap water? Can you brew up from it after boiling or should we stick to bottled.

Also... where are all the used car dealers located?
Hi.. firstly, most maids quarters would be to small for you, unless they are part of a large villa you would find yourself with no cooking or washing facilities. Short term work out very expensive.
Your budget will get you a 2 bed apt in the area that Ins mentioned, try Dubizzle also for the rental..and also the gulf news website which have recently improved their property search section.
You would get a small 1 bed apartment for your 1.1M, unless you bought off plan.. but then you would have to wait for it to be built.
Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your new life here.
beebee is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:00 am
  #5  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Holking View Post
Holqueen here but have logged on in hubby's name!
we are coming out next month and my hubby will be a househusbad too to start with till he finds work.
Hope you like it.

We are lucky and that accomodation comes with my job but I saw what you wrote about mugs and am goona make sure I pack a few!!
Hi,

Good luck with the move! Drop me a line when you get here if you want, it would be good to meet up with some people in a similar position. My wife is a QS for Atkins. What will you be doing out here.

I was talking to an english lad selling property in the mall the other day and he reckons it's quite easy to get that sort of work out here if you want it. Not sure what it pays. I'm a graphic designer by profession and the wages are similar to those in england. I'm up for a new challenge though so may try sales to see if I like it/am any good at it.

Don't forget the mugs!

Best Regards

Craig
Hull Lad is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:02 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
Welcome to Dubai.

The tap water is fine here.
if you want a short commute then have a look in the Golden Sands area. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment within your budget in a building with swimming pool and parking.

for used cars have a look on dubizzle.com. usually some good bargains available on there.
Thanks Ins, will be sure to check out Golden Sands area.

Hull Lad is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:06 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by beebee View Post
Hi.. firstly, most maids quarters would be to small for you, unless they are part of a large villa you would find yourself with no cooking or washing facilities. Short term work out very expensive.
Your budget will get you a 2 bed apt in the area that Ins mentioned, try Dubizzle also for the rental..and also the gulf news website which have recently improved their property search section.
You would get a small 1 bed apartment for your 1.1M, unless you bought off plan.. but then you would have to wait for it to be built.
Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your new life here.
Yeah, i think the guy we were speaking to said his mate had a large villa... oh well. House hunting for me then!!

Thanks BeeBee!

Craig
Hull Lad is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:11 am
  #8  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Hull Lad View Post
Thanks Ins, will be sure to check out Golden Sands area.

there are a few new buildings popping up around there so there should be availability especially for 2 bed apartments.

Its a safe area and you have lots of cheap reataurants/take-aways within walking distance. They also all deliver. It is a bit away from the main British/European residential areas though and most of your neighbours will be Indian. its also a bit of a concrete jungle but could be ideal for your first year here.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:46 am
  #9  
Forum Regular
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 55
Hull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really niceHull Lad is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Inselaffen View Post
there are a few new buildings popping up around there so there should be availability especially for 2 bed apartments.

Its a safe area and you have lots of cheap reataurants/take-aways within walking distance. They also all deliver. It is a bit away from the main British/European residential areas though and most of your neighbours will be Indian. its also a bit of a concrete jungle but could be ideal for your first year here.
Hi Ins,

Which are the main british/european residential areas?

Craig
Hull Lad is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 5:51 am
  #10  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touch down!

I would say all areas are mixed to a certain extent. But the main European ones are the Springs, Meadows, Lakes, Ranches etc but they are outside your budget and a bit out of town for you. I suggested on the other thread Satwa, I would also try Mankhool and the area opposite Lamcy Plaza
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:04 am
  #11  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Inselaffen's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Dubai
Posts: 13,547
Inselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond reputeInselaffen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Blue Cat View Post
I would say all areas are mixed to a certain extent. But the main European ones are the Springs, Meadows, Lakes, Ranches etc but they are outside your budget and a bit out of town for you. I suggested on the other thread Satwa, I would also try Mankhool and the area opposite Lamcy Plaza
If you dont mind a little bit more of a coummte you might be able to get a 2 bed in the Greens. would probably take 30-45 minutes commute to Bur Dubai. Not a bad commute though as it would be in the opposite direction to all the jams.

you may get a 2 bed there for 130 but might have to stretch to 140. Its probably worth having a look.
Inselaffen is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 3:26 pm
  #12  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 50
Holking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really niceHolking is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Originally Posted by Hull Lad View Post
Hi,

Good luck with the move! Drop me a line when you get here if you want, it would be good to meet up with some people in a similar position. My wife is a QS for Atkins. What will you be doing out here.

I was talking to an english lad selling property in the mall the other day and he reckons it's quite easy to get that sort of work out here if you want it. Not sure what it pays. I'm a graphic designer by profession and the wages are similar to those in england. I'm up for a new challenge though so may try sales to see if I like it/am any good at it.

Don't forget the mugs!

Best Regards

Craig
Hi,

I am going to be deputy head in an international school. Hubby is a materials / process engineer in England and is hoping to get work in that line out there or as project manager. We will be living in Arabian Ranches. We are lucky in that my school is providing us with 3 bed villa as part of package as rent seems so expensive out there.

I told Steve of your post and he is keen to meet up too when we get out there. Coming on 24th Feb. Not long now..

bye for now

Di
Holking is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:34 pm
  #13  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 389
Live for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud ofLive for now has much to be proud of
Default Re: Touch down!

My partner will be there the week before you, he presently runs a building services consultancy in Hull, he has been there for just under 2 years, sure he would love to get on touch with old and new via this forum.
Live for now is offline  
Old Jan 6th 2008, 6:51 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
canukabroad's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: England
Posts: 91
canukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nicecanukabroad is just really nice
Default Re: Touch down!

Hi all those who are coming to dubai shortly! I arrive 11th Jan - love to meet up with newcomers as well to share stories/advice/frustrations...
I'm originally from Canada, 7 years in UK and moving to Dubai to work in PR field. 3 weeks in a hotel and would rather share for first few months to sus out the landscape and make friends...
canukabroad is offline  
Old Jan 7th 2008, 8:33 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
nottmbantam's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Riyadh.
Posts: 1,854
nottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond reputenottmbantam has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Touch down!

Do other posters on this board arrange to meet up? I'm due out in Riyadh in a few months and would be good to meet up with some of the posters. The only contact I had in Riyadh has now moved to Dhahran....

Some of the other message boards I'm on tend to arrange 'meets'.
nottmbantam is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.