British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Touch down! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/touch-down-503818/)

Hull Lad Jan 5th 2008 6:05 pm

Touch down!

... posted it in the wrong section.. here goes again!!!

Finally landed in Dubai and the wife is starting work tomorrow.

It's my job as house husband and full time daddy to our 1 year old baby girl to find us somewhere to live within the next 3 weeks.

Ideally we are looking for 2 bedrooms (but at a push would go 1) either on a 1 year contract or a short term let as we are still undecided whether to rent or buy longterm. We're ldeally hoping to get somewhere short term until we get familiar with the areas etc.

We also heard that some people rent their maids quarters out? Is this true?

Before I saddle up the pram and trudge the miles between estate agency's can anyone suggest any leads or contacts?

As were finding acommodation is expensive can anyone suggest any places that are a commutable distance from Bur Dubai.

Our budget is 120/130k a year rental or about 1.1m for purchasing.

Yours hopefully!

Craig

P.S. What's the score with the tap water? Can you brew up from it after boiling or should we stick to bottled.

Also... where are all the used car dealers located?

Holking Jan 5th 2008 6:12 pm

Re: Touch down!

Holqueen here but have logged on in hubby's name!
we are coming out next month and my hubby will be a househusbad too to start with till he finds work.
Hope you like it.

We are lucky and that accomodation comes with my job but I saw what you wrote about mugs and am goona make sure I pack a few!!

Inselaffen Jan 5th 2008 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 5743855)

It's my job as house husband and full time daddy to our 1 year old baby girl to find us somewhere to live within the next 3 weeks.

Ideally we are looking for 2 bedrooms (but at a push would go 1) either on a 1 year contract or a short term let as we are still undecided whether to rent or buy longterm. We're ldeally hoping to get somewhere short term until we get familiar with the areas etc.

Before I saddle up the pram and trudge the miles between estate agency's can anyone suggest any leads or contacts?

As were finding acommodation is expensive can anyone suggest any places that are a commutable distance from Bur Dubai.

Yours hopefully!

Craig

P.S. What's the score with the tap water? Can you brew up from it after boiling or should we stick to bottled.

Welcome to Dubai.

The tap water is fine here.
if you want a short commute then have a look in the Golden Sands area. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment within your budget in a building with swimming pool and parking.

for used cars have a look on dubizzle.com. usually some good bargains available on there.

beebee Jan 6th 2008 3:34 am

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 5743855)

Yours hopefully!

Craig

Hi.. firstly, most maids quarters would be to small for you, unless they are part of a large villa you would find yourself with no cooking or washing facilities. Short term work out very expensive.
Your budget will get you a 2 bed apt in the area that Ins mentioned, try Dubizzle also for the rental..and also the gulf news website which have recently improved their property search section.
You would get a small 1 bed apartment for your 1.1M, unless you bought off plan.. but then you would have to wait for it to be built.
Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your new life here.

Hull Lad Jan 6th 2008 5:00 am

Originally Posted by Holking (Post 5743871)
Holqueen here but have logged on in hubby's name!
we are coming out next month and my hubby will be a househusbad too to start with till he finds work.
Hope you like it.

We are lucky and that accomodation comes with my job but I saw what you wrote about mugs and am goona make sure I pack a few!!

Hi,

Good luck with the move! Drop me a line when you get here if you want, it would be good to meet up with some people in a similar position. My wife is a QS for Atkins. What will you be doing out here.

I was talking to an english lad selling property in the mall the other day and he reckons it's quite easy to get that sort of work out here if you want it. Not sure what it pays. I'm a graphic designer by profession and the wages are similar to those in england. I'm up for a new challenge though so may try sales to see if I like it/am any good at it.

Don't forget the mugs!

Best Regards

Craig

Hull Lad Jan 6th 2008 5:02 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5744281)
Welcome to Dubai.

The tap water is fine here.
if you want a short commute then have a look in the Golden Sands area. You should be able to get a 2 bedroom apartment within your budget in a building with swimming pool and parking.

for used cars have a look on dubizzle.com. usually some good bargains available on there.

Thanks Ins, will be sure to check out Golden Sands area.

:thumbup:

Hull Lad Jan 6th 2008 5:06 am

Originally Posted by beebee (Post 5745577)
Hi.. firstly, most maids quarters would be to small for you, unless they are part of a large villa you would find yourself with no cooking or washing facilities. Short term work out very expensive.
Your budget will get you a 2 bed apt in the area that Ins mentioned, try Dubizzle also for the rental..and also the gulf news website which have recently improved their property search section.
You would get a small 1 bed apartment for your 1.1M, unless you bought off plan.. but then you would have to wait for it to be built.
Good Luck, and I hope you enjoy your new life here.

Yeah, i think the guy we were speaking to said his mate had a large villa... oh well. House hunting for me then!!

Thanks BeeBee!

Craig

Inselaffen Jan 6th 2008 5:11 am

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 5745854)
Thanks Ins, will be sure to check out Golden Sands area.

:thumbup:

there are a few new buildings popping up around there so there should be availability especially for 2 bed apartments.

Its a safe area and you have lots of cheap reataurants/take-aways within walking distance. They also all deliver. It is a bit away from the main British/European residential areas though and most of your neighbours will be Indian. its also a bit of a concrete jungle but could be ideal for your first year here.

Hull Lad Jan 6th 2008 5:46 am

Originally Posted by Inselaffen (Post 5745899)
there are a few new buildings popping up around there so there should be availability especially for 2 bed apartments.

Its a safe area and you have lots of cheap reataurants/take-aways within walking distance. They also all deliver. It is a bit away from the main British/European residential areas though and most of your neighbours will be Indian. its also a bit of a concrete jungle but could be ideal for your first year here.

Hi Ins,

Which are the main british/european residential areas?

Craig

Blue Cat Jan 6th 2008 5:51 am

I would say all areas are mixed to a certain extent. But the main European ones are the Springs, Meadows, Lakes, Ranches etc but they are outside your budget and a bit out of town for you. I suggested on the other thread Satwa, I would also try Mankhool and the area opposite Lamcy Plaza :thumbup:

Inselaffen Jan 6th 2008 6:04 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 5746004)
I would say all areas are mixed to a certain extent. But the main European ones are the Springs, Meadows, Lakes, Ranches etc but they are outside your budget and a bit out of town for you. I suggested on the other thread Satwa, I would also try Mankhool and the area opposite Lamcy Plaza :thumbup:

If you dont mind a little bit more of a coummte you might be able to get a 2 bed in the Greens. would probably take 30-45 minutes commute to Bur Dubai. Not a bad commute though as it would be in the opposite direction to all the jams.

you may get a 2 bed there for 130 but might have to stretch to 140. Its probably worth having a look.

Holking Jan 6th 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by Hull Lad (Post 5745845)
Hi,

Good luck with the move! Drop me a line when you get here if you want, it would be good to meet up with some people in a similar position. My wife is a QS for Atkins. What will you be doing out here.

I was talking to an english lad selling property in the mall the other day and he reckons it's quite easy to get that sort of work out here if you want it. Not sure what it pays. I'm a graphic designer by profession and the wages are similar to those in england. I'm up for a new challenge though so may try sales to see if I like it/am any good at it.

Don't forget the mugs!

Best Regards

Craig

Hi,

I am going to be deputy head in an international school. Hubby is a materials / process engineer in England and is hoping to get work in that line out there or as project manager. We will be living in Arabian Ranches. We are lucky in that my school is providing us with 3 bed villa as part of package as rent seems so expensive out there.

I told Steve of your post and he is keen to meet up too when we get out there. Coming on 24th Feb. Not long now..

bye for now

Di

Live for now Jan 6th 2008 6:34 pm

My partner will be there the week before you, he presently runs a building services consultancy in Hull, he has been there for just under 2 years, sure he would love to get on touch with old and new via this forum.

canukabroad Jan 6th 2008 6:51 pm

Hi all those who are coming to dubai shortly! I arrive 11th Jan - love to meet up with newcomers as well to share stories/advice/frustrations...
I'm originally from Canada, 7 years in UK and moving to Dubai to work in PR field. 3 weeks in a hotel and would rather share for first few months to sus out the landscape and make friends...

nottmbantam Jan 7th 2008 8:33 am

Do other posters on this board arrange to meet up? I'm due out in Riyadh in a few months and would be good to meet up with some of the posters. The only contact I had in Riyadh has now moved to Dhahran....

Some of the other message boards I'm on tend to arrange 'meets'.