British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Totally unacceptable!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/totally-unacceptable-804463/)

Irishbeekeeper Jul 29th 2013 9:47 pm

Totally unacceptable!!

Overbearing, condescending, over-pious sons of b***s in the mosque next door!! Apart from the taraweehs every night, now they are broadcasting another taraweeh from 1.30 am which will go all the way to 4.00 am and which will go on for the next 10 days!?? What about the people living close by who have kids and who have to go to work tomorrow morning? And you can't complain to the police because you come off looking like a Munkir! And the poor non Muslims cannot complain at all because ofcourse they are afraid to loose their visas! This truly is a b***s**t move by whoever is in charge of this mosque!

Irishbeekeeper Jul 29th 2013 10:49 pm

Re: Totally unacceptable!!

Update : it stopped after an hour, I guess 'somebody' complained ;)

Kix Jul 29th 2013 10:52 pm

I guess you're awake then. If I recall a member of this bored complained about the volume of the Friday sermon, or call or something to do with volume, can't recall who but someone turned up, has a word and volume was decreased.

May be worth doing a search or waiting until the usual suspects come on line after their peaceful quiet nights kip...

csdf Jul 30th 2013 5:14 am

At least round my area, the volumes this Ramadan have been considerably and noticeably lower than it was in the last couple of years. It didn't used to be possible to sleep through the first call to prayer during Ramadan; this year I don't even hear it unless I'm awake already.

mikewot Jul 30th 2013 5:40 am

I had some 'users' of a new system in UK who complained that it was Totally Unacceptable! I wanted to know what the difference was between something thats unacceptable and something thats Totally Unacceptable? If something is unacceptable then surely the Totally is superfluous?

shiva Jul 30th 2013 5:43 am

Originally Posted by mikewot (Post 10825918)
I had some 'users' of a new system in UK who complained that it was Totally Unacceptable! I wanted to know what the difference was between something thats unacceptable and something thats Totally Unacceptable? If something is unacceptable then surely the Totally is superfluous?

yes but in reality it feels a lot better to declare it totally.

as brits unacceptable just means we find it mildly irritating.
totally unacceptable means we are fuming but intend to do nothing

Blue Cat Jul 30th 2013 6:04 am

I think Meow complained about volume levels at her mosque :) we have a building site behind our house, for some reason at 6 am they seem to make more noise than at 8 am. I went to see the Supervisor and things have quietened considerably to how they were before.

jam25mack Jul 30th 2013 7:10 am

Wasn't there some chat previously about a government number you can call and they will review if the volume is excessive or not?

Millhouse Jul 30th 2013 7:32 am

I think there is a difference.

Say your system has 40 functions
if 25 are unacceptable - the system is unacceptable
if 40 are unacceptable, it would be totally unacceptable...

;)

mikewot Jul 30th 2013 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10826055)
I think there is a difference.

Say your system has 40 functions
if 25 are unacceptable - the system is unacceptable
if 40 are unacceptable, it would be totally unacceptable...

;)

But in my business all the functions have to work, otherwise it's just totally and completely unacceptable.

Meow Jul 30th 2013 9:50 am

Originally Posted by Blue Cat (Post 10825939)
I think Meow complained about volume levels at her mosque :) we have a building site behind our house, for some reason at 6 am they seem to make more noise than at 8 am. I went to see the Supervisor and things have quietened considerably to how they were before.

It has been known, but it's mainly the locals living nearby who complain each time they ramp up the sound, especially for the imsak (sp?) call very early morning.

I imagine many people would be pretty fed up if it went on all night. The two hours of sing-a-long-an-imam every evening in Ramadan is enough without it being even louder and longer.

Irishbeekeeper Jul 30th 2013 9:55 am

yes, I agree that the 'totally' becomes redundant if followed by a negative but it is used for more of a reiteration purpose rather than anything else

its like saying Mr. XYZ is a b****d or saying he is a f*****g b****d
now the f-word is totally superfluous, not needed, but if you really want to assert and proclaim to everyone present in the room that Mr. XYZ is a super pain in the a**, then you give every adjective the superfluous treatment :thumbsup:

jam25mack Jul 30th 2013 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Irishbeekeeper (Post 10826343)
yes, I agree that the 'totally' becomes redundant if followed by a negative but it is used for more of a reiteration purpose rather than anything else

its like saying Mr. XYZ is a b****d or saying he is a f*****g b****d
now the f-word is totally superfluous, not needed, but if you really want to assert and proclaim to everyone present in the room that Mr. XYZ is a super pain in the a**, then you give every adjective the superfluous treatment :thumbsup:

How about Mr. XYZ is a Total f*****g b*****d goat s*****g son of a b***h line up then or is that just over kill?

Irishbeekeeper Jul 30th 2013 11:11 am

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10826463)
How about Mr. XYZ is a Total f*****g b*****d goat s*****g son of a b***h line up then or is that just over kill?

:rofl::rofl:
but why a goat? why not a llama?

Meow Jul 30th 2013 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by jam25mack (Post 10826463)

Not enough for some people...