British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Torch on fire (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/torch-fire-853103/)

alfrombarking Feb 21st 2015 3:44 am

The Torch on fire

should read: THE TORCH

al dente Feb 21st 2015 3:52 am

re: The Torch on fire

I was just coming on to ask about this. Nothing in The National but front page of The Times.

NorthernLad Feb 21st 2015 4:03 am

Originally Posted by al dente (Post 11571695)
I was just coming on to ask about this. Nothing in The National but front page of The Times.

Made Sky and BBC news. Looked nasty, one resident said 'we've had three false alarms this week' so if was nobody badly hurt or killed it will be a miracle.

shiva Feb 21st 2015 4:34 am

Originally Posted by NorthernLad (Post 11571701)
Made Sky and BBC news. Looked nasty, one resident said 'we've had three false alarms this week' so if was nobody badly hurt or killed it will be a miracle.

Agreed. I'll be extremely dubious of any official numbers

Pollyana Feb 21st 2015 5:13 am

Re: The Torch on fire

Originally Posted by alfrombarking (Post 11571690)
should read: THE TORCH

Fixed for you :)

Boomhauer Feb 21st 2015 9:08 am

Since we have construction professionals here; is the reason for the fire aluminum cladding or some other material that is popular in the region but not so in the West?

Millhouse Feb 21st 2015 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11571802)
Since we have construction professionals here; is the reason for the fire aluminum cladding or some other material that is popular in the region but not so in the West?

The reason for the fire will be stupidity. The spread of the fire maybe use of cheap materials. Given the history of that tower (i.e. built during a financial crisis and delivered very late), I would guess shite materials are a part of it.

flood2 Feb 21st 2015 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Boomhauer (Post 11571802)

This has been mentioned on here before, but the cladding that they use in most buildings in Dubai is flammable. This type of cladding was banned in the UK back in the 80/90's. Its construction allows the fire to spread inside the cladding. It is obviously cheaper, hence is used often. If you look at the pictures online you see how it has melted and spread the fire. It looks like a piece of lit cladding fell off the right hand side and fell down and landed and set another fire off.

It seems that the tower has also had an issue with sprinklers and fire alarms since it opened. At least it looks like no one has been seriously injured.

Bahtatboy Feb 21st 2015 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by flood2 (Post 11571989)

It seems that the tower has also had an issue with sprinklers and fire alarms since it opened.

As do probably most high-rise buildings in the UAE.

In developed countries I imagine that tenants will not still have to pay rent while their apartments are uninhabitable. Anyone know what the situation is in Dubai?

shiva Feb 21st 2015 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 11572023)

In developed countries I imagine that tenants will not still have to pay rent while their apartments are uninhabitable. Anyone know what the situation is in Dubai?

They feel magnanimous in their generosity and provide Vaseline free of charge as you pay rent for a hole

flood2 Feb 21st 2015 6:54 pm

This one in particular seems to have had many problems.

It has a near 900 page entry on skyscraper city website. Pictures of the blockwork etc during construction are pretty shocking. I know that blockwork is not structural, but it gives an indication of poor quality.

throw in some cheap cladding...

flood2 Feb 21st 2015 6:55 pm

Where else do you pay 12 months up front? Usually you only pay monthly and can move after say 6 months.

Boomhauer Feb 21st 2015 6:59 pm

Media reports are that no one died.

Is the Torch 50% occupied, 80% occupied or more like 30% occupied?

scrubbedexpat141 Feb 22nd 2015 3:52 am

A friend lives just above where the first fire started. Said it was chaos, everyone expected false alarm so left with very little.

She's not allowed back in yet and given her cat was rescued and was soaking wet, she's not holding out much hope.

99.9% certain it will have been started by a grade-A ****tard.

mentalist Mar 4th 2015 3:50 am

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 11571873)
The reason for the fire will be stupidity...

Seven Days are reporting that the blaze started in an apartment occupied by a British national. Not always those you most suspected.