British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Top five regrets of the dying (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/top-five-regrets-dying-779675/)

UKCityGent Dec 5th 2012 6:58 am

Top five regrets of the dying

Interesting article from the "horses mouth" in the Guardian about the top five regrets of the dying, namely:

a. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me.
b. I wish I hadn't worked so hard.
c. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings.
d. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends.
e. I wish that I had let myself be happier.

B and D apply to me - yet i cant thinking of anymore

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 7:56 am

Re: Top five regrets of the dying

Originally Posted by UKCityGent (Post 10416650)
Interesting article from the "horses mouth" in the Guardian about the top five regrets of the dying, namely:

a. I wish I'd had the courage to live a life true to myself, not the life others expected of me. I'm glad I compromised--I've known people who don't do that, and god have those around them suffered.
b. I wish I hadn't worked so hard. I wish I'd worked smarter.
c. I wish I'd had the courage to express my feelings. I wish I'd been wise enough to express my feelings more often and more sensitively.
d. I wish I had stayed in touch with my friends. I wish that I'd worked smarter to allow more time with my family and friends.
e. I wish that I had let myself be happier. I wish that I'd more often applied the principle of working out which things I can change and which I can't, and then doing something about those I can and accepting those I can't.

B and D apply to me - yet i cant thinking of anymore

My take.

britexpat76 Dec 5th 2012 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416740)
My take.

Couldn't agree more. I know far too many people who waste time and effort in worrying about things they cannot change instead of concentrating on the things they can influence.

kittycat1 Dec 5th 2012 8:22 am

Personally I think you are the way you are- I know I work too hard but I enjoy work and its part of who I am-so I can't regret that. It's like saying what would you change about yourself.

Life is a jouney that has ups and downs- you can't be happy all the time as you'd be slightly mad if you were, the downtimes make you appreciate the good times.

So I would say have no regrets, live each day the best you can, look for the positive in every situation, laugh as much as you can, appreciate what you have not long for what you don't, don't dwell on the past as you can't change it but look forwards, and learn from your mistakes or at least enjoy making them. And finally, don't be scared of saying or showing how you feel- life really is too short.

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 8:24 am

Oh and by the way, we're all dying.

OleJanx Dec 5th 2012 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416798)
Oh and by the way, we're all dying.

Yep, one second at a time, we're all one step closer to death.

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 5th 2012 8:39 am

I don't regret anything really. I get a bit frustrated with my inability to not keep spending money but that seems to be it.

Oh, I am shit at keeping in touch with old mates, but then again they can't be that good a mate then.

I disagree with the idea of not working so hard or changing careers to do something you 'love'. This applies to a miniscule number of people. I love eating and watching films and pounding my mrs. None of which are a job (film critic / reviewer is not a job I'd consider doing - you have to watch shit films).

I reckon people need to just get on the conveyer belt, work hard, have fun, spend time with people that matter, get the cash money (try not to spend it), buy a bar on a beach somewhere and chill the **** out when you've earned the right to do so.

shiva Dec 5th 2012 9:24 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10416832)
I don't regret anything really. I get a bit frustrated with my inability to not keep spending money but that seems to be it.

Oh, I am shit at keeping in touch with old mates, but then again they can't be that good a mate then.

I disagree with the idea of not working so hard or changing careers to do something you 'love'. This applies to a miniscule number of people. I love eating and watching films and pounding my mrs. None of which are a job (film critic / reviewer is not a job I'd consider doing - you have to watch shit films).

I reckon people need to just get on the conveyer belt, work hard, have fun, spend time with people that matter, get the cash money (try not to spend it), buy a bar on a beach somewhere and chill the **** out when you've earned the right to do so.

says the man who hasnt yet spent 25 years in a career hes come to hate

scrubbedexpat141 Dec 5th 2012 9:27 am

Originally Posted by shiva (Post 10416879)
says the man who hasnt yet spent 25 years in a career hes come to hate

I haven't spent 25years alive yet mate.

Ask me again in 20 years then.

Dumbo Dec 5th 2012 10:18 am

I wonder if in years to come some people will regret having spent too much time in cyber space and not enough in the real world. Just a thought.

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Dumbo (Post 10416948)
I wonder if in years to come some people will regret having spent too much time in cyber space and not enough in the real world. Just a thought.

What is this "real world" of which you speak?

Dumbo Dec 5th 2012 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10416953)
What is this "real world" of which you speak?

heheh maybe its just a myth thats been going around the twitterverse.

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 10:45 am

f. Not going to more BE meet-ups.

weasel decentral Dec 5th 2012 10:49 am

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy (Post 10417019)
f. Not going to more BE meet-ups.

on the positive side no one else is regretting that you haven't gone to more :p

Bahtatboy Dec 5th 2012 10:53 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by weasel decentral (Post 10417026)
on the positive side no one else is regretting that you haven't gone to more :p

Attachment 109764

Again! (need the "fist pump" emoticon)