Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Top 5 places to visit before you die

Top 5 places to visit before you die

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 7:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

kittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond reputekittycat1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top 5 places to visit before you die

Hi all,

Inspired by my holiday thread started thinking about where else I'd like to go (not just for my xmas hols).

So I thought I'd do a places I've been and places I'd like to go before I die so here goes;

Places I've been and loved (would strongly recommend or go back to)

1) New York - love it fab city
2) Dublin- fantastic city- I'd happily move there
3) New Zealand- South Island- stunning scenery- Kaikoura was my favourite place where you can go whale watching. Very laid back and chilled
4) Paris- a beautiful city- been there many many times, would say that everyone should go at least once, stunning architecture and so much history witha little bit of seediness as well (Montmatre) just a shame about the Parisiennes.
5) London- yes I know its my home but London is my favourite city in the world.
6) Miami- fun city- great vibe all completely shallow though
7) Hong Kong- you have to go!

Place I want to go
1) Hawaii- I have an image of sitting on the beach at sunset by a campfire, drinking cocktails with Jack Johnson playing on is guitar - bliss
2) Russia
3) Cuba
4) Canada
5) Australia ( just all the creepy crawlies put me off)
6) Amsterdam- can't believe I haven't been- would love to go and see the tulip fields
7) Africa ( bit vague as not sure where would be the best place to go- would love to do a safari)
8) Egypt- plan to go next year.
9) Tokyo

Ok I went over 5 but couldn't work out which one to drop.

anyone else?

Kittycat
xxx
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 5 places to visit before you die

San Francisco, the most beautiful and welcoming of all US cities.

Going back there in August, for the first time in seven years - I hope it hasn't changed a bit...........
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:44 am
BE Enthusiast

klaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud ofklaus3974 has much to be proud of

Great cities/places I have been and would like to come back any time:

1) Buenos Aires
2) Cape Town
3) Paris
4) Rome
5) Istanbul
6) Tokyo
7) San Francisco
8) NYC
9) well... many others

Five places I have not been and would like to visit soon:

1) Bhutan
2) Cuba
3) Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia (sorry 3 countries here)
4) China
5) Costa Rica

Gosh... I need vacations!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:28 am
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Great places I've been (and would like to visit again):

1. Havana
2. Las Vegas
3. New York
4. Southern California
5. Mombasa
6. Masai Mara
7. NgoroNgoro
8. Nordkapp (North Cape)

Places still to go:

1. Thailand
2. Sri Lanka
3. India (various places)
4. Rio Janeiro
5. Svalbard
6. Australia
7. New Zealand
8. South Pole
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

GuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to beholdGuyinUAE is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by norsk
Great places I've been (and would like to visit again):

1. Havana
2. Las Vegas
3. New York
4. Southern California
5. Mombasa
6. Masai Mara
7. NgoroNgoro
8. Nordkapp (North Cape)

Places still to go:

1. Thailand
2. Sri Lanka
3. India (various places)
4. Rio Janeiro
5. Svalbard
6. Australia
7. New Zealand
8. South Pole
You'd go back to Mombassa? You must be mad, couldn't wait to get out of there, although I'd go back to the Masai in a hearbeat. Treetops was seriously overrated though.

1 Tiger Temple in Thailand
2 Great Wall and the Terracotta warriors
3 Coast to Coast US trip
4 Italian City tour
5 Any beach with absolutely no one else on it!

Loved Goa, would go back there tomorrow as well. Florida, love the place, brings out the kid in you and love the non touristy parts of Spain.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

reggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud ofreggiedh has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

Inspired by my holiday thread started thinking about where else I'd like to go (not just for my xmas hols).

So I thought I'd do a places I've been and places I'd like to go before I die so here goes;

Places I've been and loved (would strongly recommend or go back to)

1) New York - love it fab city
2) Dublin- fantastic city- I'd happily move there
3) New Zealand- South Island- stunning scenery- Kaikoura was my favourite place where you can go whale watching. Very laid back and chilled
4) Paris- a beautiful city- been there many many times, would say that everyone should go at least once, stunning architecture and so much history witha little bit of seediness as well (Montmatre) just a shame about the Parisiennes.
5) London- yes I know its my home but London is my favourite city in the world.
6) Miami- fun city- great vibe all completely shallow though
7) Hong Kong- you have to go!

Place I want to go
1) Hawaii- I have an image of sitting on the beach at sunset by a campfire, drinking cocktails with Jack Johnson playing on is guitar - bliss
2) Russia
3) Cuba
4) Canada
5) Australia ( just all the creepy crawlies put me off)
6) Amsterdam- can't believe I haven't been- would love to go and see the tulip fields
7) Africa ( bit vague as not sure where would be the best place to go- would love to do a safari)
8) Egypt- plan to go next year.
9) Tokyo

Ok I went over 5 but couldn't work out which one to drop.

anyone else?

Kittycat
xxx
Cape Town. Sitting on the water front as the sun goes down with Table Mountain in view. For a city, you just can't beat that.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:35 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Top 5 places...and the only person who posted 5 was GuyinUAE. Even the OP rambled on...just gotta love this forum.

1. Harley Davidson Museum
2. Snake River Road, US. Best road I have ever ridden even better than Pacific Highway 1
3. Northern Italy..most of it. We love it there.
4. The Highlands of Scotland, just bought a house there...for a reason
5. Australia...cos I've never been
6. ......................
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roadking
Top 5 places...and the only person who posted 5 was GuyinUAE. Even the OP rambled on...just gotta love this forum.

1. Harley Davidson Museum
2. Snake River Road, US. Best road I have ever ridden even better than Pacific Highway 1
3. Northern Italy..most of it. We love it there.
4. The Highlands of Scotland, just bought a house there...for a reason
5. Australia...cos I've never been
6. ......................
Where's Snake River Road, RK? I'm doing the fly-drive thing out west for most of August.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:44 am
If I have to explain...

Roadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond reputeRoadking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Dean
Where's Snake River Road, RK? I'm doing the fly-drive thing out west for most of August.
It heads through Jackson Hole which is a really Cowboy type town. Thorugh Utah and Wyoming I think. Let me do a quick search and see what I can find in my route maps. We were heading to Sturgis at the time...
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:51 am
If I have to explain...

Originally Posted by Roadking
It heads through Jackson Hole which is a really Cowboy type town. Thorugh Utah and Wyoming I think. Let me do a quick search and see what I can find in my route maps. We were heading to Sturgis at the time...
On the wrong PC. Here is a quick map showing the location of Jackson Hole. Snake River Road runs throught his.
Attached Thumbnails Top 5 places to visit before you die-jackson-hole.gif  
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 10:58 am
Banned

newportoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Great cities I have been and would like to go are :
Santorini, Greece
Stonehenge, England
Loch Ness, Scotland
Pyramid of the Sun and Moon, Teotihuacán
Incan Ruin – Machu Picchu, Peru
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 11:01 am
A bubbly-jock...

MacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond reputeMacScot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kittycat1
Hi all,

< snip>

5) Australia ( just all the creepy crawlies put me off )
< /snip>
Haha...not all Aussie men are that bad...

Mine....

1. Machu Pichu
2. Pyramids
3. Petra
4. Florence
5. USA
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:55 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

norsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond reputenorsk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GuyinUAE
You'd go back to Mombassa? You must be mad, couldn't wait to get out of there, although I'd go back to the Masai in a hearbeat. Treetops was seriously overrated though.
Mate I grew up in Kenya, so have been to Mombasa more than 30 times. It depends where in Mombasa you go if it is nice or not. Back in the day it was all about Diani Beach (south coast), but most of this is now quite run down to be honest. There are still some nice hotels here and there, but they are usually all inclusive resorts which means you can't just go in and use their facilities like we did in the old days. Malindi on the north coast is brilliant and has quite a few luxury boutique style hotels.

Treetops was awesome in the 80's. Now not so much..
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 2:59 pm
Token Scandinavian Bloke

Originally Posted by MacScot
3. Petra
There is another similar place in KSA called Madain Saleh. Obviously less tourists and from what I hear equally impressive. Getting a visa can be a challenge, but there are organised tours apparently.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 3:05 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Must goes I have visited

1 Angkor Wat, Cmbodia
2 Potala, Lhasa, Tibet
3 Ajanta and Ellora temples, India
4 Machu Pichu, Peru
5 Petra, Jordan
6 Kalash valleys, Pakistan

Still to go

1 mud mosques of Mali
2 rock cut churches of Eithiopia
3 Bhutan
4 Leptis Magna, Libiya
5 Hampi, India

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.