Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Top 100 Albums - BBC radio poll

Top 100 Albums - BBC radio poll

Old Apr 1st 2013, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute
Default Top 100 Albums - BBC radio poll

............. oh dear........... it's Coldplay............. as you were.................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21995177

Top 10:

1. Coldplay - Rush Of Blood To The Head (2002)

2. Keane - Hopes and Fears (2004)

3. Duran Duran - Rio (1982)

4. Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (1973)

5. Dido - No Angel (1999)

6. The Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)

7. The Pet Shop Boys - Actually (1987)

8. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)

9. U2 - The Joshua Tree (1987)

10. Queen - A Night At The Opera (1975)
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Top 100 Albums - BBC radio poll

All of these polls are farcical, but this was a BBC Radio 2 poll though, so never going to be the tapped into anything that's remotely outside the mainstream.

In saying that it’s still much, much worse than I would have expected. How anyone could list Coldplay, Keane, Dido, Duran Duran, The Pet Shop Boys and Queen anywhere near a top 10 of all time is beyond my comprehension. Of course its subjective but you wander how much music the people who voted on this actually buy and/or listen too.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

What bollocks eh.

Were there a list of average albums for them to pick from?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Well, four of that Top Ten would be in my own Top Ten which is a better ratio than you normally find in these polls.......... I always take issue with the choice of album, rather than the bands themselves........... always found Sgt Pepper overrated - much prefer Revolver....... etc......... etc.........
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by The Dean
Well, four of that Top Ten would be in my own Top Ten which is a better ratio than you normally find in these polls.......... I always take issue with the choice of album, rather than the bands themselves........... always found Sgt Pepper overrated - much prefer Revolver....... etc......... etc.........
Any 'Top Album' or 'Top Artist' list that includes Bono isn't worth the paper/screen it's written on.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 8:59 am
Kix
Nothing doin' here

Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough

Let me guess, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Queen and Beatles?
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Kix
Let me guess, Pink Floyd, Rolling Stones, Queen and Beatles?
2 out of 4............ Keane, Pink Floyd, Beatles, U2 (sorry Scamp but The Joshua Tree is a fantastic album). Actually they might only make my 20, not 10, but that's close enough. My 20 would include more than one album from at least 3 or 4 acts.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:06 am
Account Closed

2 out of 4............ Keane, Pink Floyd, Beatles, U2 (sorry Scamp but The Joshua Tree is a fantastic album). Actually they might only make my 20, not 10, but that's close enough. My 20 would include more than one album from at least 3 or 4 acts.
I know I go against the grain on U2, just can't stand them.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

the_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond reputethe_red_sheep has a reputation beyond repute

If I had to pick a top ten albums not one of those albums or bands would make it in. I always think people put in The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin particularly because they think they should, rather than because they actually love the band or album. I don’t mind any of that four (although I think PF are extremely overrated), but I very rarely go and listen to one of their albums

There would probably be 4 or 5 albums that would appear in my top ten every time, those being ones which struck a chord at particular time in my life and that I would still very happily listen to, and the other 5/6 would change pretty frequently.

Last edited by the_red_sheep; Apr 2nd 2013 at 9:12 am. Reason: typo
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by the_red_sheep
If I had to pick a top ten albums not one of those albums or bands would make it in. I always think people put in The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin particularly because they think they should, rather than because they actually love the band or album. I don’t mind any of that four (although I think PF are extremely overrated), but I very rarely go and listen to one of their albums

There would probably be 4 or 5 albums that would appear in my top ten every time, those being ones which struck a chord at particular time in my life and they I would still very happily listen to, and the other 5/6 would change pretty frequently.
I agree with this. Music is so subjective and things that happen in life generally have a soundtrack at the time.

My first job was for my Dad and the mile-walk to work was a constant round-robin of different albums from The Streets.

College for me was all about LL Cool J.

One thing I will take from the recent time in Dubai with another couple who we spend a lot of time with is the Stone Roses - they appeared on playlists a lot before we even knew they were playing here, then we went as a four to see them.

The people who can see beyond the bands / albums they should pick (eg I love hip-hop but Eric B and Rakim's Paid in Full which supposedly paved the way for hip hop is ****ing toss) are the people who would be able to produce an album soundtrack of their own life.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Scamp
I know I go against the grain on U2, just can't stand them.
I agree on this one never liked them and never understood the mass love in about them. Likewise with REM, what a total load of toss they are.

Keane
Really??? Didn’t see that coming at all.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 9:56 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

The only one in that list I'd pick is Dark Side of the Moon. An amazing album.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:54 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with you there Scamp on different albums relating to different times or events in your life.

Off the top of my head, here's a few which would be in my top 10.

Dr Dre - 2001
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Alisha Keys - Songs in A Minor
LL Cool J - Mr Smith
Warren G - Regulate
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Biggie - Duets
Green Day - ????
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 10:56 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Agree with you there Scamp on different albums relating to different times or events in your life.

Off the top of my head, here's a few which would be in my top 10.

Dr Dre - 2001
Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magic
Alisha Keys - Songs in A Minor
LL Cool J - Mr Smith
Warren G - Regulate
Eminem - The Marshall Mathers LP
Biggie - Duets
Green Day - ????
Dookie?

BTW, Mr Smith is one of my favourites. In fact, 'Doin it' is one of my favourite songs, sure it's off that album.
Old Apr 2nd 2013, 11:36 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scamp
Any 'Top Album' or 'Top Artist' list that includes Bono isn't worth the paper/screen it's written on.
The Joshua Tree is an amazing album .

Bono is a pretentious tw*t though .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.