British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   Top 100 Airports in the World (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/top-100-airports-world-795323/)

The Dean Apr 27th 2013 10:41 am

Top 100 Airports in the World

Dubai 'only' number 33........... :unsure:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...013/top100.htm

britexpat76 Apr 27th 2013 10:54 am

Re: Top 100 Airports in the World

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 10680745)
Dubai 'only' number 33........... :unsure:

http://www.worldairportawards.com/Aw...013/top100.htm

Should be number 103, 30 minute walk to get out the place.

co durham boy Apr 27th 2013 11:08 am

Originally Posted by britexpat76 (Post 10680758)
Should be number 103, 30 minute walk to get out the place.

+ 1 with that one . Im not sure why DXB is revered so much to be honest especially now if you fly into the A380 Terminal and then your connecting flight is from T1 with EK , i've struggled with that connection twice now , bit of a mare .

It's got pretty poor retail outlets as well compared to Bangkok , Hong Kong , Changi and KL not to mention most of the European hubs .

Dubai is nicely built and looks great but it doesn't make the best use of the space .

Dubai is an average airport . Terminal 5 at Heathrow is a secret favorite of mine , great F&B , good shops and it's a dream to get through , if the whole of LHR was like that then it would be a godsend !

Millhouse Apr 27th 2013 11:52 am

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10680768)
+ 1 with that one . Im not sure why DXB is revered so much to be honest especially now if you fly into the A380 Terminal and then your connecting flight is from T1 with EK , i've struggled with that connection twice now , bit of a mare .

It's got pretty poor retail outlets as well compared to Bangkok , Hong Kong , Changi and KL not to mention most of the European hubs .

Dubai is nicely built and looks great but it doesn't make the best use of the space .

Dubai is an average airport . Terminal 5 at Heathrow is a secret favorite of mine , great F&B , good shops and it's a dream to get through , if the whole of LHR was like that then it would be a godsend !

T2 at Dubai is my fave. Fantastic terminal.

co durham boy Apr 27th 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Millhouse (Post 10680800)
T2 at Dubai is my fave. Fantastic terminal.

Aye mate , canny if you're off to Khandahar , Najaf or Kabul for a dirty weekend and want to pick up some cheap chocolate and Nido powdered milk at Duty Free !

Millhouse Apr 27th 2013 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by co durham boy (Post 10680807)
Aye mate , canny if you're off to Khandahar , Najaf or Kabul for a dirty weekend and want to pick up some cheap chocolate and Nido powdered milk at Duty Free !

yeh, the destinations ain't great, but it's the most efficient terminal I have ever been to in the world... just don't check in any luggage as it will almost certainly not make it.

kittycat1 Apr 27th 2013 2:57 pm

No mention of what the criteria was?

JFK is one of my least favourites, always a bitter end to a New York trip.

winter Apr 27th 2013 3:32 pm

Why is Melborne in the top 30' what an awful airport, everything shuts down at midnight, spent 7 hours there, was so cold, truly awful

Bahtatboy Apr 27th 2013 4:09 pm

Japan's doing well, with 4 in the top 20. Kansai's a civilised place to be. Pleased to see Helsinki up there at 15 -- bloody nice airport. Also Abu Dhabi -- if for nothing else the high probability of being in a taxi within 15 mins of touching down.

Kix Apr 27th 2013 5:48 pm

Frankfurt #11? They're having a ******* laugh aren't they?

London City is brilliant, so, so quick, but beaten by Dubai?

Abu Dhabi higher than Dubai too.

Hmmmm

boroboy Apr 28th 2013 6:46 am

I like Bahrain airport in and out in minutes and it has a bar. Heathrow terminal 5is great as well. Hong Kong is my favourite as it has great service and great shops.
I always take these polls with a pinch of salt as I have no idea on earth why Qatar Airways always gets airline of the year when they are the worst airline I have ever flown with and I have flown Alitalia.

Boomhauer Apr 28th 2013 6:51 am

Been through Chicago's O'Hare countless times; don't like the exit/entrance and parking lot planning.

scrubbedexpat141 Apr 28th 2013 6:55 am

T5 at Heathrow is ****ing mega.

Millhouse Apr 28th 2013 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 10681673)
T5 at Heathrow is ****ing mega.

So it's just me that thinks it's shit then. That centralized area with basically no food options other than Wagamumma (which I do appreciate I must say) - then the satellite B and C terminals of death by boredom.

It would be much better if airports had gaming rooms with flight simulators in - much like having car racing games at service stations. I'd like that.

scot47 Apr 28th 2013 7:33 am

I thought Frankfurt was good. Ilike the railway station inside the terminal building. When I made a trivial comp;aintnt about signage, Management met me on my next trip and gave me a guided tour.

I cannot imagine that at Heathrow.