British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   The Sand Pit (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/)
-   -   The Toon Barmy (https://britishexpats.com/forum/sand-pit-116/toon-barmy-599096/)

lionheart Mar 22nd 2009 5:36 am

The Toon Barmy

Without a proper manager and picking up more injuries, Newcastle Utd are creeping ever closer to the big drop. There chances of staying up may depend upon the gravity of the injury to their star defender, Bassong, who has been arguably their best player this season.

BangleMan Mar 22nd 2009 5:50 am

Re: The Toon Barmy

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7405791)
Without a proper manager and picking up more injuries, Newcastle Utd are creeping ever closer to the big drop. There chances of staying up may depend upon the gravity of the injury to their star defender, Bassong, who has been arguably their best player this season.

Think its still too close to call, albeit I think West Browm are doomed

It still could be any one of two teams up to Man City....lol

Personally, I would love to see Middlesboro and Newcastle go down......

*runs to grab tin hat and await Spugsy's input ....*

Spugsy Mar 22nd 2009 6:58 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7405791)

we're screwed, the management are utter balls and we need someone at the helm, and joe kinnear, whenever he's back, isn't the man.

I hate to say it, but I'd happily take terry venables until the end of the season to try and keep us up.

Spugsy Mar 22nd 2009 6:59 am

Originally Posted by BangleMan (Post 7405816)

Well lets of people would to be honest, we're a bit club who are nothing but a long running joke really, our manager and team are rubbish, the owner is a big fat wanker and enough is enough,

if we do go down, christ, ashley had better go and live on the moon or summat, as they'll want blood.

lionheart Mar 22nd 2009 10:36 am

Why would you love to see two well supported clubs go down rather than teams like Blackburn, Stoke or Portsmouth who are lucky to get 20,000 in attendance? Newcastle had 50,000 against Arsenal yesterday and I don't recall hearing any boos from their loyal supporters. They deserve to stay up.

BangleMan Mar 22nd 2009 10:53 am

Originally Posted by lionheart (Post 7406441)
Why would you love to see two well supported clubs go down rather than teams like Blackburn, Stoke or Portsmouth who are lucky to get 20,000 in attendance? Newcastle had 50,000 against Arsenal yesterday and I don't recall hearing any boos from their loyal supporters. They deserve to stay up.

Middlesboro...well supported ? Where did you see that ? I went to Villa Park for the 2006 FA Cup semi Final, which was three sided in West Ham fans, and the one end that Middlesboro did have was half empty......yeah, great supporters they are !

Stoke fill their ground each week and have officially the noisest fans in the Premiership, so good luck to them. Portsmouth have had a similar noisy set of fans for years

Take your point re Blackburn.....dont like them either or Big "I have a mouth full of gum and want the world to see it' Fat Sam

Why Newcastle ?, because maybe it would be the kick up the arse that their board need to once and for all sort that club out.

Its been a total shambles for years, and they continue to buy crap players year after year, striker or midfielder, when for long spells the problem has always been the defence.....I mean 10million quid for Collocini, before him Bramble etc, the list is endless.

They turn managers over by the dozen and always try and go for the 'big glory name' manager (Kinnear the exception) when in fact they need a steady manager who is allowed 5 or more years to build a structure there, or a manager like Zola who is hungry, has a desire, who wants to develop a team and who is given time to do so, who wants to be innovative and build the club up again

I have no problem with Newcastle fans, they are as demanding as any others, but I have heard them boo their team on many occassions.....but they need to learn that like any club, 50,000 fans each week or not, they are
not a guaranteed success just because they throw money at it when they want...........

I also want them to go down cos maybe then they can get over the whole Keegan thing....Christ the bloke was a great player, had a good season as manager of Newcastle before blowing up hysterically towards the end of the season when Man U put them under pressure, but he has always been a bloke who 'walks away' when he feels like it or is under pressure

They will be appointing Gazza next !

bimcnorth Mar 22nd 2009 1:06 pm

Getting relegated might be the only way forward for the toon..

A clean sweep, a new board and (hopefully) a new owner.
It have happened before with a lot of clubs.

rowell Mar 22nd 2009 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by bimcnorth (Post 7406725)
Getting relegated might be the only way forward for the toon..

A clean sweep, a new board and (hopefully) a new owner.
It have happened before with a lot of clubs.

The thought of Leeds , Boro and Toon playing each other next year omg

BangleMan Mar 22nd 2009 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by rowell (Post 7406732)
The thought of Leeds , Boro and Toon playing each other next year omg

Leeds ?

Do teams get relegated two divisions when they go down from the Preimership then....., cos you cannot surely mean Leeds will be promoted !!

commander Mar 22nd 2009 1:26 pm

i know as a jock, we have little credence with our souf of the border bretheren, but for me if the Toon got relegated it would be a disaster, but maybe the saviour of the club (as aluded to)

Yes, they would get rid of the deadwood.

would the stadium still be sold out on matchday?--YES

They would come back up..

Some clubs are just too big to slide away, but sometimes it takes a major shock to change years of medeocricy.

Sandboy Mar 22nd 2009 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7406774)
would the stadium still be sold out on matchday?--YES

it's not selling out now, no chance if they get relegated, especially the way the job situation is

I'd prefer them to finish 4th bottom ( and Sunderland 5th ) tbh because a relegation would see them clear out a load of shite, get 100 points and come back stronger.
If they finish 4th bottom they'll spunk 20 milion on the next Brazilian superstar and the deluded knackers will be talking about the champions league again. Then they'll sack Kinnear in October and start all over again...

The Dean Mar 23rd 2009 3:22 am

Relegation? Stoke City hold the key...........

Having beaten M'boro on Saturday, their next three games are West Brom, Newcastle and Blackburn...........

Newcastle have still to play away to Tottenham, Liverpool and Villa....... plus at home to Portsmouth and M'boro...........

I can't stand all this excitement..............

Spugsy Mar 23rd 2009 3:36 am

Originally Posted by The Dean (Post 7408451)
Relegation? Stoke City hold the key...........

Having beaten M'boro on Saturday, their next three games are West Brom, Newcastle and Blackburn...........

Newcastle have still to play away to Tottenham, Liverpool and Villa....... plus at home to Portsmouth and M'boro...........

I can't stand all this excitement..............

and chelsea...

commander Mar 23rd 2009 6:09 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7407374)
it's not selling out now, no chance if they get relegated, especially the way the job situation is

really, i thought it was? Jings what the hell else is there for the daft thick geordie's to do on a saturday afternoon?

Spugsy Mar 23rd 2009 6:20 am

Originally Posted by commander (Post 7408724)
really, i thought it was? Jings what the hell else is there for the daft thick geordie's to do on a saturday afternoon?

to be fair there's still 50,000 there every week.

And how many are the mackems getting? When was the last time your lot sold out Sandboy? You hardly ever fill your stadium, no matter who you are playing.

Sandboy Mar 25th 2009 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7408744)
to be fair there's still 50,000 there every week.

And how many are the mackems getting? When was the last time your lot sold out Sandboy? You hardly ever fill your stadium, no matter who you are playing.

at one time every game was 52k, now it rarely reaches 50 the majority of which are season ticket holders bought last summer when no one had heard of the credit crunch and when the messiah was going to have you in contention for world domination again...

a lot has changed

Spugsy Mar 25th 2009 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7418057)
at one time every game was 52k, now it rarely reaches 50 the majority of which are season ticket holders bought last summer when no one had heard of the credit crunch and when the messiah was going to have you in contention for world domination again...

a lot has changed

You lot have LOADS of spare seats at your place and you're nowhere near 50k bonny lad.

Sandboy Mar 25th 2009 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by Spugsy (Post 7418114)
You lot have LOADS of spare seats at your place and you're nowhere near 50k bonny lad.

I'm not disputing that man, we know we're not one of the top 8 teams in the world.. ;)

see they banned Alan Oliver today? they really are determind to implode

Spugsy Mar 26th 2009 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Sandboy (Post 7418289)
I'm not disputing that man, we know we're not one of the top 8 teams in the world.. ;)

see they banned Alan Oliver today? they really are determind to implode

yeah?

Good, the man is a ****ing cancer on Newcastle, he just writes total and utter bollocks and then claims he is writing 'what the fans are saying',

the chronicle needs a total overhaul and first thing they should do is get rid of him and the other old duffer who spouts shite as well there.

Sky Blue Mar 27th 2009 4:44 am

I would love to see Spurs go down...