Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East > The Sand Pit
Reload this Page >

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:15 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too many restaurants in Dubai?

Originally Posted by Scamp
Shit. I've just realised I call it a 'cuzza' from time to time. Is that bad?
Awful!

Ruby is the only way to go!

In other news is describing someone as 'black' considered OK?
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:15 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Originally Posted by Millhouse
nah, it just mates you sound like a ****

Picked it up from an old boss who once rode the 'cuzza train' in the North East and thought it was the best thing ever.

Since then, it's cuzza. Unless it's offensive, then I'll stop.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:33 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam25mack
Awful!

I would say that's fine as a description in the same way as describing someone as white is fine. As ever, it's context, nuance, intonation etc that makes the difference.

Regarding curry, is that ever mean to be derogatory? (Actually I am sure it is by some, sigh.) The word is used for Thai, Indonesian and Malaysian food so so it's not even exclusively for the dishes from the Indian sub-continent.

Is it like Americans (as in North Americans for the pedants among us) describing any mixed dish that they put in the oven as a casserole? A vegetable bake or macaroni cheese is not a casserole, FYI. It isn't a casserole but we kind of know what they mean.

Not as bad as putting marshmallows or vegetables in jelly in a mould and calling it salad. That's just wrong!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 6:34 am
Bored liberal

Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Miss Ann Thrope
So, speaking of crap restaurants in Dubai and the abundance thereof, I made the foolish mistake or returning to the place where I had enjoyed a truly memorably good - and therefore highly unusual - meal out in Dubai recently. Within three weeks of the first experience, I ordered the same food in the same place at around the same time of day with a similar crowd in the place (i.e. almost nobody) and second time around it was rubbish. Same dish, same ingredients, same recipe (which was the comment from the chef when I gave my feedback - obviously failing to consider that simply verified that he was the critical variable that had failed on this occasion).

So consistency is also a big issue in Dubai restaurants I think. The dish was fish tacos at Citywalk branch of Clinton Street Baking Co. I think I raved about it in passing in another thread here after the first good experience, as it happens...
Same chef? People rave about their chicken and waffles but when we had the chicken it was woefully over-cooked. We now stick to their breakfasts as they are good.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:09 am
BE Forum Addict

jam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond reputejam25mack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Meow
I would say that's fine as a description in the same way as describing someone as white is fine. As ever, it's context, nuance, intonation etc that makes the difference.
See I would agree. Over the years I've had a few long term relationships with ladies of a different ethnicity to me (5yrs being the longest), in fact I haven't been out with a white girl since I was 18. I also have many black and Asian friends and we have had discussions on similar topics many times over the years. As we know (or should do) terms such as 'coloured' or 'half caste' for mixed race folk are not OK in this day and age, although a lot of people (read older generations) who do still use these terms think that they are being PC, however, as they don't have any interaction with black or Asian people they are unaware of this.

I do find it rather amusing though when someone is describing someone to you and it goes along the lines of..... six foot, average build, bit chubby, short hair, clean shaven, brown eyes..... blah blah and you go ahhhhhh Max? They go yeah, and you ask why they didn't start with black guy because it is the most descriptive of the terms..... Theses days people are so afraid to be seen as racist that they go to the other end of the spectrum.

As Irishbeekeeper said earlier and from what I have experienced being in mixed race relationships and hanging around with people of different ethnicity in different countries around the world, the Brits generally have a very low level of racism and have done a huge amount over the last few decades to stamp it out. Yes there are some idiots out there but you can't change them all overnight.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 7:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141 scrubbedexpat141

Awful!

Ruby? I'm many bad things but faux Cockney isn't on the list....

Yeah, call people black all you like, if they're black.
It's when you add '****' or 'wanker' or 'tosspot' or 'bastard' after black that you start upsetting people.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 8:06 am
Knee deep and rising

weasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond reputeweasel decentral has a reputation beyond repute

It's when you add '****' or 'wanker' or 'tosspot' or 'bastard' after black that you start upsetting people.
You'll probably upset people calling them a wanker etc., without adding anything further
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Ruby? I'm many bad things but faux Cockney isn't on the list....

Yeah, call people black all you like, if they're black.

I like you scamp, you call a spade a spade, and a pinoy a maid.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by weasel decentral
You'll probably upset people calling them a wanker etc., without adding anything further
True. I try not to call people too many names, as a rule of thumb. Unless they deserve it of course...
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:40 am
BE Forum Addict

That's sooooo bad its good!
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Sandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond reputeSandboy has a reputation beyond repute

Picked it up from an old boss who once rode the 'cuzza train' in the North East and thought it was the best thing ever.

Since then, it's cuzza. Unless it's offensive, then I'll stop.
maybe you misunderstood him - some of the natives can be a tad tricky to pick, I'd call him a skunk but that might add to the arguments

Geordie translates what Geordie said about threatening Dixy Chicken staff with python | Metro News
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

so after all this drama, is the conclusion that we can, or cannot ask the question "chinky or a curry for dinner?"

I have a couple of indian friends that absolutely hate the reference of "curry" to mean Indian food. "'m a North Indian, I don't eat f'ing curry..."

"ok"
who the hell objects to the word 'curry'? that is just total bollocks....if you are a desi regardless of which part of the subcontinent you hail from, your staple diet is referred to as a 'curry' - end of.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

mission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond reputemission has a reputation beyond repute

Awful!

absolutely ok....using the word 'coloured', or as the yanks like to spell it 'colored' is very un-pc
Old Mar 6th 2017, 10:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandboy
maybe you misunderstood him - some of the natives can be a tad tricky to pick, I'd call him a skunk but that might add to the arguments

Geordie translates what Geordie said about threatening Dixy Chicken staff with python | Metro News
Poor Dando!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.