Too hot to work

Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:28 pm
  #1  
**** it we'll do it live
Thread Starter
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Too hot to work

I don't even know where to begin with this one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cord-heat.html

"The Met Office issued a level three heatwave warning today as temperatures are set to soar to 32."

I wonder why the uk is ****ed?
shiva is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:30 pm
  #2  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Saw a link for that earlier today and thought the same. However if you were in an office with no AC it would be getting a bit sticky.
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:30 pm
  #3  
MODERATOR
 
Lorna at Vicenza's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Province of Vicenza
Posts: 18,560
Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
I don't even know where to begin with this one

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...cord-heat.html

"The Met Office issued a level three heatwave warning today as temperatures are set to soar to 32."

I wonder why the uk is ****ed?
I just read that myself and thought WTF. Never been sent home in Italy because it's too hot to work.
Lorna at Vicenza is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:31 pm
  #4  
Kix
Nothing doin' here
 
Kix's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,508
Kix will become famous soon enoughKix will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Too hot to work

It's just been discussed on Jezza Vine, UK Radio 2. Upshot is more places should have air-con - or at least fans.
Kix is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:33 pm
  #5  
Shark Fisherman
 
britexpat76's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Doha
Posts: 4,570
britexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond reputebritexpat76 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by Kix View Post
It's just been discussed on Jezza Vine, UK Radio 2. Upshot is more places should have air-con - or at least fans.
Thats what we used to do, gets hot buy a shit load of fans. Following year if it gets hot again you repeat the process.

Simples
britexpat76 is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:34 pm
  #6  
MODERATOR
 
Lorna at Vicenza's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Province of Vicenza
Posts: 18,560
Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by britexpat76 View Post
Thats what we used to do, gets hot buy a shit load of fans. Following year if it gets hot again you repeat the process.

Simples
And let's face it ...... when is it going to be hot again in the UK for anything more than a week?
Last hot spell was apparently in 2006.
Lorna at Vicenza is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 12:41 pm
  #7  
WWLLCJD?
 
Scamp's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Location: Dubai
Posts: 21,481
Scamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond reputeScamp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

The only downside is being a bloke.

Woman comes into the office in a summer dress and I'm in trousers, shirt and tie?

**** that.
Scamp is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:09 pm
  #8  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 2,502
Ethos83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Too hot to work

It's not only the lack of air conditioning but that we aren't acclimatised to the heat. It wasn't long ago when it was much cooler.

32 probably feels more like 40 to you guys in Dubai. Could you cope if you didn't have air conditioning?
Ethos83 is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:16 pm
  #9  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Dubai, working at Dust World Central
Posts: 3,708
mikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond reputemikewot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
Could you cope if you didn't have air conditioning?
If it's only 40 you simply man up.
mikewot is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:17 pm
  #10  
**** it we'll do it live
Thread Starter
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by Ethos83 View Post
It's not only the lack of air conditioning but that we aren't acclimatised to the heat. It wasn't long ago when it was much cooler.

32 probably feels more like 40 to you guys in Dubai. Could you cope if you didn't have air conditioning?
Seasonal swings in temp are probably greater here than in the uk.

As for aircon, well my office ac has been fritzing out pretty regularly this summer so I reckon the office is well over 30 for most of the day. It's not fun but its hardly death defying working in it.

It's just the typical uk, moan its too cold then freak out when it's too warm a few weeks later. I'm sure the rail and road system will collapse in another few days
shiva is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 1:25 pm
  #11  
Big Member
 
NorthernLad's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,839
NorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond reputeNorthernLad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Seasonal swings in temp are probably greater here than in the uk.

As for aircon, well my office ac has been fritzing out pretty regularly this summer so I reckon the office is well over 30 for most of the day. It's not fun but its hardly death defying working in it.

It's just the typical uk, moan its too cold then freak out when it's too warm a few weeks later. I'm sure the rail and road system will collapse in another few days
Didn't the train tracks at Waterloo bend in the heat yesterday?
NorthernLad is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:03 pm
  #12  
Bored liberal
 
Meow's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Over there ----->
Posts: 13,705
Meow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond reputeMeow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by NorthernLad View Post
Didn't the train tracks at Waterloo bend in the heat yesterday?
I heard that. Things don't work when it rains too much, is too 'hot', there are fallen leaves or there is snow. That's pretty much Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter covered.
Meow is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:27 pm
  #13  
Concierge
 
Blue Cat's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 29,625
Blue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Cat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by Meow View Post
I heard that. Things don't work when it rains too much, is too 'hot', there are fallen leaves or there is snow. That's pretty much Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter covered.
exactly they can't cope with any season!
Blue Cat is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:29 pm
  #14  
Millhouse is not a meme
 
Millhouse's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Disneyland, Dubai
Posts: 14,405
Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by shiva View Post
Seasonal swings in temp are probably greater here than in the uk.
I have to disagree with you there...

UK low: -10oC (London 2007 - I remember it was -12 one night)
UK High: 35oC
delta 45oC

UAE low (city): 12oc (never seen it lower than this in the city)
UAE high (city): 51oc (saw this once in Abu Dhabi)
delta: 39oC

The difference in the UK is largely temperate with the odd spike. The UAE deltas are maintained for months on end so stuff is designed to cope with it.

Imagine sustained rain in the UAE. I remember driving back one year from Heathrow and it was pouring so hard you could only see a few meters - no impact on the infrastructure at all. A drizzle here and 50 car pile up and a flooded road.

Stuff is designed for the midpoints. I've sure it's pretty miserable down on the tube in London today and I wouldn't be wanting to go there. (not that I ever really use the tube - hate it).
Millhouse is offline  
Old Jul 17th 2013, 2:58 pm
  #15  
**** it we'll do it live
Thread Starter
 
shiva's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Dubai
Posts: 7,892
shiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond reputeshiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Too hot to work

Originally Posted by Millhouse View Post
I have to disagree with you there...

UK low: -10oC (London 2007 - I remember it was -12 one night)
UK High: 35oC
delta 45oC

UAE low (city): 12oc (never seen it lower than this in the city)
UAE high (city): 51oc (saw this once in Abu Dhabi)
delta: 39oC

The difference in the UK is largely temperate with the odd spike. The UAE deltas are maintained for months on end so stuff is designed to cope with it.

Imagine sustained rain in the UAE. I remember driving back one year from Heathrow and it was pouring so hard you could only see a few meters - no impact on the infrastructure at all. A drizzle here and 50 car pile up and a flooded road.

Stuff is designed for the midpoints. I've sure it's pretty miserable down on the tube in London today and I wouldn't be wanting to go there. (not that I ever really use the tube - hate it).
Agreed its the norm here to have huge seasonal swings but really the uk does make a bloody meal of it every time te season changes and its been doing it for a couple of decades. The rail network bei g a prime example( saw something the other day that trains ran a tighter schedule with less delays and more trains 100 years ago) the farce with snow and grit also springs to mind
As for rain and driving that's just down to assholes who can't drive when it's sunny coming unstuck when a 1m breaking distance and no grip come together.
shiva is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.